The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Deal with writer block?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Deal with writer block?

What do you usually do to deal with writer block? It's very frustrating.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

try to use instruments that you're not used to using. or a tuning that you don't normally use
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm in this group with a couple other guys and every two weeks we each have to write and record a new song on our own, then we get together on Friday Night to listen to them. There have been a couple times where I was just so busy and it rolls around to Thursday and I have yet to started, have no ideas, and am not in the most creative mood. But I sit down at the computer with my guitar and a mic, and I force myself to write. I've always managed to get the song finished before the deadline.

I guess the point is that for me, having a deadline has helped me overcome any lack of creativity and motivation.

Last edited by Joe Porto; 1 week ago at 03:20 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yes, having a deadline can force you to finish a song, if you are the responsible kind of person.
For me, I often overthink my problem to the point every time I start making something I feel this heavy pressure putting me down, making it impossible to do the thing I used to enjoy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Deadlines can work, but not always. Sometimes, you just have to step away from it and have a short break. Either by doing something completely different (go for a walk, watch a movie, read a book, whatever) or stay with the music but try doing something else (make a start on a different piece, just noodle for a while, play some of your own old favourites, etc.) That's the kind of thing I do anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@TechKlutz don't wait for inspiration but never force it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I play my guitar......play something old that still resonates. That always brings the creative spirit back.
Old 1 week ago
For me, actually not playing at all for a week or two works best.
If you write for job/income this probably won't work obviously.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

@boombapdame: You are right. @Unclenny: Struck for inspiration, that works too. @E-Murder: Yeah sometimes you need a break, I haven't been able to do anything for a while now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear doesn't kill people.

Define "writer's block".
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I had writers block very a very long time... and I realized a few things:
1). I thought I had a "music studio"... until I realized that I had a wall of gear standing in my way from being creative. MOST of that gear was designed purposefully with limitations to keep you needing the next thing.

2). The DAW was my go to starting point in the studio. Which is wrong. Unjack. Start playing with an instrument and just tweaking sounds. If you're an electronic musician... get an Elektron Analog RYTM and fill it full of samples... take it to bed with some headphones... and make some beats. The DAW is to record your creativity... not be the starting point.

3). I use Ableton and it is really easy to look at it two ways... clip view or arrangement. Use Ableton as an instrument. Operater has presets... Analog has presets... Drum Rack... has presets. Never use the other view unless you've got some to record.

4). Of you're a hardware guy like me... get logic. Ableton has an insurmountable obstacle of not being able to receive SYSEX dumps or label equipment CC commands. Think of Ableton as an instrument.. use it accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Old 1 week ago
A couple of joints and a beer can sometimes help !
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I guess it really depends on expectation. If you are trying to write some groundbreaking piece with every effort, or chasing a hit song, that's a pretty heavy burden. I find that I can always write something...even if it's just a simple, silly song. The Beatles had their share of hits, but they also had Wild Honey Pie, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, etc.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

@creegstor:
The invisible wall that's blocking your creativity, in this case, song writing.

@Atch:
I can translate your ideas into my case because I mainly work with my DAW and VST plugins, sometimes I spend hours just to tweak a sound to nowhere.

@flanagan:
Hey that's not a bad idea, drink all the problems away.

@Joe Porto:
That's true. If you have no expectation and standard you can write anything about almost everything.
Old 4 days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechKlutz View Post
@creegstor:
The invisible wall that's blocking your creativity, in this case, song writing.
You haven't answered the question!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I answered my best, maybe I don't fully comprehend your question.
Old 3 days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechKlutz View Post
I answered my best, maybe I don't fully comprehend your question.
That's fine. I actually think the generic nature of your response could possibly indicate a part of your problem.

"The invisible wall that's blocking your creativity, in this case, song writing."

See that really doesn't mean much! It's about as vague and non-specific as you could get. If you want to solve a problem that seems to be beyond your current level, you have to define it first to know what you are dealing with, and also so the people helping you know what you are dealing with.

So in this case what might that mean?

WHERE is the block? (Where SPECIFICALLY!)
WHEN does it happen?
HOW does it manifest?
WHY do you think it happens? (It's ok if you don't fully know, but I suspect you'll have some idea if you dig and contemplate.)
WHAT do you want to do about it?

There are probably other questions like this you could ask around this situation to extract more info, but the above is a start. Ultimately it comes down to what you want to achieve or where you want to get to creatively and figuring a path.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Go to a live jazz concert.

For me that invigorates my senses. Good jazz covers so much of the language of music that I usually find myself daydreaming about new ideas and paths to explore.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

@creegstor:
Well if only you asked those questions right from the start then I'd know how to answer more specifically. The block happens pretty random and it's hard to give a right answer. It just happens, like suddenly the magic is gone, I feel empty, sometimes I feel heavy. I'm more interested in knowing how the people here deal with it, it's a very good read.
@smoke:
You must really like jazz a lot.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

^ I do like Jazz a lot but I also think a lot of music origin is in blues/jazz, so it kinda whets my appetite for anything. Or cleanses my palette, that sort of thing.

I don't know if there is anything literal I do about it. It comes and goes. If I can't write or compose, I just work on older material, and one day, boom, I'll fire up a blank canvas.

Perhaps set a specific goal or limitation that you will stick to and use that as a challenge and inspiration. Like you are going to use 3 instruments only and complete a song in a day.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
WHERE is the block? (Where SPECIFICALLY!)
WHEN does it happen?
HOW does it manifest?
WHY do you think it happens? (It's ok if you don't fully know, but I suspect you'll have some idea if you dig and contemplate.)
WHAT do you want to do about it?
The concept of writer's block is interesting to me.

Do we get stalled when we need to write? Or just when we wish we were writing?

I always wait it out.......you can't push the river.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Writing is a skill...the same as playing an instrument. You get better with practice. You don't always WANT to practice, but you do it to improve. No different with writing. Don't look at everything you write as needing to be great. If you are in a slump, just look at it as practice. Throw down a simple progression and hum a melody. Write some silly lyrics. If nothing other than to prevent atrophy in the brain muscle. The magic may not always be there, but the more you write, the more likely it will present itself, and the more prepared you will be when it does.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Don't look at everything you write as needing to be great.
I think this is a very important point. If you are awaiting greatness with each piece you are going to be disappointed and sometimes stalled.

I just keep writing.........this one might not be so great, but the next one is always going to be my best one ever.

Old 2 days ago
I never suffer from writer's block, and haven't since I stopped putting demands on myself. From that point on, my Muse has kept me plenty busy. It'll shine when it shines.
Old 9 hours ago
Here for the gear

Hmm... so the key is don't think, don't expect, don't demand or put in too much standard, just keep on doing it, it is whatever it is.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search