The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which one is fake?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Which one is fake?

So 2016 has been, among other disastrous things, the year of Fake News. It appeared, if you follow this stuff, that it had also been the year of Fake Rice. Chinese bogus grain made of plastic that melts and bubbles when you fry it.

Then the whole Fake Rice thing was exposed as being Fake News. Or so we thought.

Now, this morning, CNN.com is going with a Fake Rice in Nigeria story. It's not the headline, that's "Carrie Fisher in ICU," but it's there nevertheless, down around number 9 or 10.

So is this Fake News about Fake Rice? Or did someone in China read the Fake News and think, "Fake Rice? Now there's an idea!"
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
they took the most powerful tool in human history, television, and turned into a brain-destroying device. and a soul-destroying device. perhaps a world-destroying device. brilliant.
2
Share
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 

You do not have to switch it on. I do not have a TV and consider all news as entertainment, which it is. In other words it is ALL fake.
6
Share
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Then the whole Fake Rice thing was exposed as being Fake News. Or so we thought.

Now, this morning, CNN.com is going with a Fake Rice in Nigeria story. It's not the headline, that's "Carrie Fisher in ICU," but it's there nevertheless, down around number 9 or 10.

So is this Fake News about Fake Rice? Or did someone in China read the Fake News and think, "Fake Rice? Now there's an idea!"
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/vari...tic-rice-.html

Quote:
It’s a hoax, says Nigeria minister about report on ‘plastic rice’
IMO, the "story" is not-

FAKE RICE FOUND IN NIGERIA

the story is:

FAKE RICE HYSTERIA HITS NIGERIA

I don't think the minister is quite saying "there's no such thing as fake rice" - which perhaps remains an open question - but he seems to be clearly saying "there's no fake rice here".

The whole idea strikes me as kind of dubious. The fake rice is supposedly made from potatoes, sweet potatoes and plastic bags. Now admittedly, rice costs more per CWT than potatoes, but still you have to buy those potatoes, peel them, mash them up, shred the plastic and melt it in (!) and then form it into thousands of tiny pellets that look exactly like real rice!

Is this really the path to 'easy' riches?

All the fake rice stories apparently stem from ONE report. Snopes says:

Quote:
we have been unable to locate any substantiated reports that anyone successfully passed off plastic rice off as the real thing regularly (or ever) in any of the countries in which the rumor took root. As a case study from Indonesia illustrated thoroughly, the rumor was self-promoting: one woman exposed to the plastic rice rumor became ill and presumed the fake food she'd heard about was to blame. Faulty initial testing cemented the belief, and soon many people were attributing all illnesses to the specter of plastic rice. A few follow-up items reported that thorough testing had revealed the rice in question was not plastic or was simply adulterated, yet the claim went on to make the alternative health rounds in October 2016 unencumbered by the debunkings.
The stories won't die - because some people WANT it to be true - they already believe they know how "they" are poisoning us. And there are news sources happy to get the clicks by telling them that what they want to hear is true. It confirms their viewpoint to a T. Every news source wants clicks and they all get them by featuring this story. If one site is more factual than another, it's only because they are assuming a preference for accuracy from their intended audience. They are all in the 'audience gathering business', not the 'dissemination of facts' business

From a year ago:
Police claim test results show plastic rice just a hoax - National - The Jakarta Post

You can't do much about "incorrect" information - especially in the early reports when hysteria is high. But if you vet your sources, you will see two general kinds of 'news' outfits. One kind prints a retraction when they are proven wrong. Or an update when new information contradicts the original story,

The other kind just doubles-down on the BS.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

How does that work?
with real rice, your hungry again about an hour later.
With fake rice, are you just hungry all the time or do you just fake being full.
1
Share
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
How does that work?
with real rice, your hungry again about an hour later.
With fake rice, are you just hungry all the time or do you just fake being full.
It works like this:
you read about Fake Rice

you get sick

then you say "hey wait a minute, I ate rice last night" which, if you live in China or Indonesia or India, is a pretty safe bet.

Nigerians also eat a lot of rice.

Nigeria, you might remember, is the country where recently, dozens of people were murdered by panicked mobs after being accused of being penis-stealing Witch Doctors. Look up "Koro".
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
You do not have to switch it on. I do not have a TV and consider all news as entertainment, which it is. In other words it is ALL fake.
True. and neither do people have to light that cigarette. or snort that line. or eat that sugar doughnut.
However, as in the case of all addictive things, it is much easier said than done. especially when it is sitting in your home since birth.
Humans are inherently drawn to images, and sounds. It is hard to look away. TV producers and advertisers know this better than anyone. And use it against us. IMHO.
1
Share
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So 2016 has been, among other disastrous things, the year of Fake News. It appeared, if you follow this stuff, that it had also been the year of Fake Rice. Chinese bogus grain made of plastic that melts and bubbles when you fry it.

Then the whole Fake Rice thing was exposed as being Fake News. Or so we thought.

Now, this morning, CNN.com is going with a Fake Rice in Nigeria story. It's not the headline, that's "Carrie Fisher in ICU," but it's there nevertheless, down around number 9 or 10.

So is this Fake News about Fake Rice? Or did someone in China read the Fake News and think, "Fake Rice? Now there's an idea!"
They probably did or its just another failed GMO product that was made by a company that hasn't payed off officials and news.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
True. and neither do people have to light that cigarette. or snort that line. or eat that sugar doughnut.
However, as in the case of all addictive things, it is much easier said than done. especially when it is sitting in your home since birth.
Humans are inherently drawn to images, and sounds. It is hard to look away. TV producers and advertisers know this better than anyone. And use it against us. IMHO.
Plus even if you ignore it, others are affected by it and their behaviour will then affect you and others.
2
Share
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
I do not pay for cable - the original bait was no commercials. Now it is chock full of commercials.

I also stopped watching TV period. No commercials and no so called news real or otherwise. I agree, TV is being used as the great manipulator and to be honest, most of the shows are nothing but schlock - reality, comedies, cop shows and the list goes on. The best thing people can do is turn the thing off.

Instead, I watch shows through streaming applications. I of course miss some stuff I might want to watch - an occasional sporting show or something on PBS but there is enough out there to sate the need for staring at the idiot box without further dragging me into the world of idiocy.

Weaning oneself from the TV is not easy but it is doable. I suggest it!
2
Share
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I do not pay for cable - the original bait was no commercials. Now it is chock full of commercials.

I also stopped watching TV period. No commercials and no so called news real or otherwise. I agree, TV is being used as the great manipulator and to be honest, most of the shows are nothing but schlock - reality, comedies, cop shows and the list goes on. The best thing people can do is turn the thing off.

Instead, I watch shows through streaming applications. I of course miss some stuff I might want to watch - an occasional sporting show or something on PBS but there is enough out there to sate the need for staring at the idiot box without further dragging me into the world of idiocy.

Weaning oneself from the TV is not easy but it is doable. I suggest it!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
True. and neither do people have to light that cigarette. or snort that line. or eat that sugar doughnut.
However, as in the case of all addictive things, it is much easier said than done. especially when it is sitting in your home since birth.
Humans are inherently drawn to images, and sounds. It is hard to look away. TV producers and advertisers know this better than anyone. And use it against us. IMHO.
Interesting that you put news consumption in the same category as drug addiction. Perhaps it is. Let me assure you most of my friends do not have a TV, do not listen to the news on radio and do not read papers. They all seem to be perfectly OK.
You did not comment on last part of my post: News is entertainment and it is all fake. To expand a little, even the best journalist who is present at the scene with best intentions to be honest sees only on tiny piece of the picture. Most are NOT at the scene, are often thousands of miles away (as in the report from our special correspondent from Buenos Aires, while he is sitting with me in Ireland, gets a bonus for this). Add to this the essential need to sell copies, keep the ratings and so on, and you have a pack of lies streaming at you constantly. Global gossip at best.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
Interesting that you put news consumption in the same category as drug addiction. Perhaps it is. Let me assure you most of my friends do not have a TV, do not listen to the news on radio and do not read papers. They all seem to be perfectly OK.
You did not comment on last part of my post: News is entertainment and it is all fake. To expand a little, even the best journalist who is present at the scene with best intentions to be honest sees only on tiny piece of the picture. Most are NOT at the scene, are often thousands of miles away (as in the report from our special correspondent from Buenos Aires, while he is sitting with me in Ireland, gets a bonus for this). Add to this the essential need to sell copies, keep the ratings and so on, and you have a pack of lies streaming at you constantly. Global gossip at best.
Slight misunderstanding - I think TV watching in general is an addiction, whether "news" or otherwise.
I would agree that most so-called "news" is much more entertainment than news. And I would generally agree that all news is slanted, as are all opinions actually, because we all have but a limited perspective, very limited in most cases. IMHO.
1
Share
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
I would agree that most so-called "news" is much more entertainment than news. And I would generally agree that all news is slanted, as are all opinions actually, because we all have but a limited perspective, very limited in most cases. IMHO.
Most of the time, TV news stories have to be jammed into so little time that telling both sides of a story is impossible.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Most of the time, TV news stories have to be jammed into so little time that telling both sides of a story is impossible.
Which brings up the nauseating subject called "commercials"............
But seriously, you cannot watch any show, on any channel, on any subject, without seeing people getting shot, or blown to bits, or see angry exchanges, or wars being fought, etc. etc. No, I'm not talking about GS, I'm talking about the commercials, which pollute the experience of watching TV ever further, if that is even possible.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Which brings up the nauseating subject called "commercials"............
Different deal. News, in theory, informs. Commercials persuade.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
News is entertainment and it is all fake. .
the problem is that it is not all fake.

saying this is the easy way out, it saves you from having to think, having to consider your sources, having to sort reasonableness from bulls#!t, from having some background of science, politics, geography, medicine, economics, to draw from.

for example, either some of the rice you are about to eat is "poisonous fake rice" or it is not. If you are about to eat that rice, it actually matters which one is true. One new age-y "health" site warns you about the imminent dangers and one "lamestream" media site says it is a hoax.

They cannot both be lying. Nor can they both be merely "incorrect".

let's say fake rice is a hoax but you don't believe it is because you believe the debunkers are "lying". They are getting paid off from Big Rice. Your illness may be psychosomatic from thinking about fake rice made from plastic bags, but you also may be genuinely ill - from something else.

You delay treatment because you think you know why you are sick. You stop eating rice, but you don't get better. Not to decide is to decide. You can throw up your hands and pretend "they're all the same", but there are often real consequences for not sorting out truth from fiction.
2
Share
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
With regard to the 'fake rice' story, I actually did some digging. There appear to be two sorts of fake rice -- plastic 'rice' (and other foodstuffs) made for display in restaurant windows... though the cost of that would presumably be prohibitive -- since it's generally much more expensive than real rice...

South China Post: Artificial food intended for display only, say Chinese manufacturers, after Nigeria confiscates tonnes of fake rice [link corrected]

... But there have also been reports of 'fake rice' made from soy and other meal products and bonded with various (and definitely not necessarily safe) materials/chemicals.

This latter class of 'product' is more like other contaminated/fake food and beverage products where unscrupulous makers, distributors, or vendors have added often unsafe, sometimes deadly 'product extenders' like adding or substituting industrial/wood alcohol in alcoholic beverages or other materials -- some not safely edible -- into foodstuffs -- even scrap plastic in some famous cases like the Chinese pet food scandal.

Last edited by theblue1; 3 weeks ago at 09:50 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

They've been getting away with it for decades!

Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Worse... Uncle Ben was (in a sense) actually the German-British scientist and chemist Erich Huzenlaub...

Quote:
In the 1910s, the German-British scientist and chemist Erich Huzenlaub (1888–1964)[2] and the British scientist and chemist Francis Heron Rogers invented a form of parboiling designed to retain more of the nutrients in rice, now known as the Huzenlaub Process. The process consisted first in vacuum drying the whole grain, then steaming, and finally vacuum drying and husking.[3][4] Besides increasing rice's nutritional value, it also made it resistant to weevils and reduced cooking time.[3]

In 1932, Forrest Mars, Sr., moved to the United Kingdom with the goal of growing the Mars food company internationally.[5] While in the United Kingdom, Mars learned of Erich Huzenlaub's work with rice. Huzenlaub's London based company was Rice Conversion, Ltd.[6] The two eventually formed Mars and Huzenlaub[7] in Houston, Texas, which gave Forrest Mars partial ownership of the Huzenlaub Process rice conversion patent. In 1942, through Mars's guidance and sponsorship, Huzenlaub created Rice Conversion, Inc. with a Houston food broker, Gordon L. Harwell, forming Converted Rice, Inc., which sold its entire output to the U.S. and British Armed Forces. The advantage of this product was that it could be air-dropped to troops in the field without risk of weevil infestation, and it could be cooked more quickly than other rice products. Additionally, the converted rice product would retain more nutritional value.[8] In 1944, with additional financing from the Defense Plant Corporation and an investment by Forrest Mars, it built a second large plant.[9] In 1959, Forrest Mars purchased Erich Huzenlaub's interest in the company and merged it into his Food Manufacturers, Inc..[10]

Marketing origins
Since 1946, Uncle Ben’s products have carried the image of an elderly African-American man dressed in a bow tie, said to have been a Chicago maître d’hôtel named Frank Brown.[11][12] According to Mars, Uncle Ben was an African-American rice grower known for the quality of his rice. Gordon L. Harwell, an entrepreneur who had supplied rice to the armed forces in World War II, chose the name Uncle Ben’s as a means to expand his marketing efforts to the general public.[13] "Uncle" was a common appellation used in the Southern United States to refer to older male Black slaves or servants.[12]

In March 2007, Uncle Ben's image was "promoted" to the "chairman of the board" by a new advertising campaign.[14]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Ben's
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Worse... Uncle Ben was (in a sense) actually the German-British scientist and chemist Erich Huzenlaub...
...scientist and chemist Erich Huzenlaub,

sounds like someone who'd set up a nice dentistry practice in Argentina.

Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
It's the British-German thing that's daunting. If you get the best of both, that's a pretty sweet combo. But if you get the worst... oh, my.
1
Share
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for gear
Glad I am buying my rice at Whole Foods. :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Glad I am buying my rice at Whole Foods. :-)
The 'whole' part of their name has a lot to be desired though:

Whole Foods CAUGHT LYING to customers about its support for Monsanto-pushed GMO fake labeling bill in the U.S. Senate: VIDEO - NaturalNews.com

Quote:
As news of the betrayal spread across the internet, the Whole Foods Big Lie machine went into action, deliberately spreading false and misleading information via social media to deny the fact that Whole Foods' own CEO, Walter Robb, is on the record openly supporting this Monsanto-engineered GMO fake labeling law (see below).
also, if memory serves, they were caught up in a fake pricing scandal of things they sold as well.

In addition, back when I lived in Berkeley, in the early days of Whole Foods, they took over a Co-Op grocery store on the corner of Telegraph and Ashby (the real co-op kind, the hippie, lefty model) and promptly started union busting (speak of the irony!), leading to several years of organized boycotts against them...it always left an unsavory taste in my mouth must say, though I've gotten over it and do frequent them from time to time.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
They've been getting away with it for decades!

my uncle was named Ben. He was famous in the family for cooking up big holiday dinners but he always used Carolina rice. When I was a kid, I would bug him that since he was "Uncle Ben" he should use Uncle Ben's rice. He asked me "do you like that rice" and I had to admit I did not.

It was weird.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
my uncle was named Ben. He was famous in the family for cooking up big holiday dinners but he always used Carolina rice. When I was a kid, I would bug him that since he was "Uncle Ben" he should use Uncle Ben's rice. He asked me "do you like that rice" and I had to admit I did not.

It was weird.
I hope your aunt wasn't named Jemima...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #27
Gear Guru
 

the link doesn't work

I am interested in this "Nigeria confiscates tonnes of fake rice" story, because the story I found indicates that the Nigerian minister explicitly says no fake rice was found. People who are trying to fact-check this story run into and endless self-referential circle of reports, but no original sources that can be substantiated.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #28
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I hope your aunt wasn't named Jemima...

no, thank goodness

but we did have those pancakes and IMO they were good
though not as good as the ones my mother made from scratch
Old 3 weeks ago
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
the link doesn't work

I am interested in this "Nigeria confiscates tonnes of fake rice" story, because the story I found indicates that the Nigerian minister explicitly says no fake rice was found. People who are trying to fact-check this story run into and endless self-referential circle of reports, but no original sources that can be substantiated.
I definitely found the latter to be the case, as well. Of course, one of the things one could imagine happening is the conflation of the PVC food display 'plastic rice' with fake rice created in large part from grain or bean meal and bonded with heaven-only-knows-what -- but all too often industrial solvents or bonding agents -- delivering our whole exercise back to general realm of 'plastic.' (And, of course, there is the not-quite-archaic, original use of the term plastic, easily shaped or molded. It's a semantic minefield, out there... figuratively speaking.)


With regard to the former, I have now fixed the link -- apparently I accidentally truncated it after I tested it. [doh!]

And here it is again for the scrolling-averse: http://www.scmp.com/news/china/polic...ly-say-chinese
Old 3 weeks ago
  #30
Lives for gear
 
AuldLangSine's Avatar
 

Fake food, fake facebook friends, fake news, fake freedom, fake education,
fake women's body parts, fake reverb, fake synths, fake talent--


Welcome to Planet Fakery !
2
Share
Loading mentioned products ...
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump