The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time tracking app for ProTools sessions
Old 22nd August 2016
Here for the gear

Time tracking app for ProTools sessions

Hi guys,

I want to effectively track my time based on what ever session I have in focus in ProTools and I wondered if anyone out there is doing that, and if so, what with? In a perfect world I'd like to open ProTools session A, have an app start tracking time and when I close session A the time tracking stops. The same would apply for sessions B, C, D etc. Basically I'm trying to get an understanding of exactly how much time I spend on each project.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good app that will do that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

I can't think of anything out there that would work better than using the stopwatch on your phone and just writing down the time manually when you're done.
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Addict

Yeah, how often are you switching projects? I guess that's your question though, ha.

Maybe open a project and save a new copy, then use the file modified time/date?
Old 22nd August 2016
Gear Guru

HOFA Project Time does this

I believe it is free! I have it and it works pretty well, but there are some things you should be aware of. If you go have lunch, it will keep counting even though Pro Tools is just sitting there with no activity. You can pause it if you remember, and you can deduct hours if you forget. You can make comments. It's probably easier than writing in a log book, but in the end, you have to be 'paying attention' either way.

Another issue I found is if you are importing session data. I have it as a plug-in on a dummy track. If you import all the plugins and tracks into your new session, you have to remember to reset the time counter, as the plug-in will import with the hours you already racked up on the original session! If you then import that song into the next session and then that one into the next.... it could really add up!
Old 9th January 2017
Here for the gear
Session File Backups

Use your session file backups as a counter they save every 5 min if you do not move your mouse it will not save.
After that you can count the backups and multiply them for 5.
I use it a few times and it works pretty well for get the time spending on a job.
Hope it helps, best regards!
Old 10th January 2017
Here for the gear

Hey Joeq,

Thanks for the info! That's just the kind of thing I was thinking of….I'm just downloading it now and I'll see how I get on. Thanks everyone for contributing though. I'm working on multiple projects all the time really, so whilst I can appreciate that a stop watch is a simple solution, I'd need quite a few and remember which one was which, so I don't think it's quite right for me.

Thanks!
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search