The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I hate the NFL
Old 2nd October 2015
Lives for gear

I hate the NFL

I know, "you kids get off my lawn" but I really have just become a hater. More **** to list than I can even try to explain but it's become about everything BUT the game, and there are no more heroes. It's all villians.

To boot, this year is a BORE. The team I like doesn't matter, it's not that rivalries are getting me down on the bad end or anything like that, it's just a BORE.

"oh yawn, someone who was a big star 10 years ago who isn't any good anymore is being talked about" "oh look, steve smith jr (yeah, I said it) is getting into it with the opposing team" "oh look, some guy made a tackle and is acting like he just won the superbore/MVP"

Is it a script? I'd rather watch reruns of "hart to hart" ... same diff.

And the announcers. Good god Simms, I mean, you've always kinda sucked, but you're becoming a parody of yourself It was better when it was the NFL channel doing it. The guys they had weren't madden/summerall, but they were better than seeing the CBS crew twice a week now.
Old 2nd October 2015
Lives for gear

Maybe, but I like chewing gum. BTW, so is the internet
Old 2nd October 2015
Lives for gear

I tried to watch the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game last night. I don't normally watch football, more of a hockey fan myself, but the season hasn't started so I was just looking for some live sporting event that I could watch via antenna (Cut cable last year).

Too.many.commercials.

I watched the pre-game show and was astonished at how much pro football resembles pro wrestling now. "There's some great storylines here, Bob." This is a game played by criminals to give us all a sense that if we're good enough, we can become very super famous, and wealthy.

So, about halfway through the 1st quarter, I couldn't take it. Run 2 plays, go to commercial. Hockey's got me spoiled. There's a guaranteed commercial once per period and a boat load of them during intermission, but the game flows. I should start watching soccer on telemundo/univision/etc. Not of a ton of commercials on that, either.

So I live in Central Texas. Apparently they broadcast highschool football games here. I mean, it's total amateur hour compared to the NFL's broadcasting, but look, no commercials and high school kids screw up so much it's always anybody's game. That is until I watched a senior punter get blasted in the head after a goofy hike and hauled off on a stretcher...I hope that kid's ok.
Old 2nd October 2015
Lives for gear

I still enjoy watching Football, but I don't disagree with any of your points.

Fantasy football seems to be out of control now. I see so many different fantasy league commercials that want your money.
Fantasy football is Dungeons and Dragons for jocks or wanna be jocks. hehe. I prefer Dungeons. : )

I'd also like it if they instituted a longer minimum duration on player contracts. Not for their money sake, but to keep the same guys on a team together longer. Every year the entire roster of an NFL team goes through the blender. A bunch of guys go and an bunch of new faces show up. Seeing players always move around just for more money takes some of the spirit out of it for me.

Its all about the money. O well.

Last edited by Ienjoyaudio; 2nd October 2015 at 11:22 PM..
Old 3rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post

Too.many.commercials.

I watched the pre-game show and was astonished at how much pro football resembles pro wrestling now. "There's some great storylines here, Bob." This is a game played by criminals to give us all a sense that if we're good enough, we can become very super famous, and wealthy.

So, about halfway through the 1st quarter, I couldn't take it. Run 2 plays, go to commercial. Hockey's got me spoiled. There's a guaranteed commercial once per period and a boat load of them during intermission, but the game flows. I should start watching soccer on telemundo/univision/etc. Not of a ton of commercials on that, either.

So I live in Central Texas. Apparently they broadcast highschool football games here. I mean, it's total amateur hour compared to the NFL's broadcasting, but look, no commercials and high school kids screw up so much it's always anybody's game. That is until I watched a senior punter get blasted in the head after a goofy hike and hauled off on a stretcher...I hope that kid's ok.
Thank you! It's been that way for a long time but it's been much worse lately. Commercials are now just sickening, abrasive, insulting, or all three so it's really tough. I try to not watch in real time to avoid them but even that is hard because there are SO MANY, you usually have to work very hard to get it to where it's not another commercial
Old 3rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Is there any other sport besides MLB and the TORONTO BLUE JAYS
Old 4th October 2015
foozball
Old 4th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
Thank you! It's been that way for a long time but it's been much worse lately. Commercials are now just sickening, abrasive, insulting, or all three so it's really tough. I try to not watch in real time to avoid them but even that is hard because there are SO MANY, you usually have to work very hard to get it to where it's not another commercial
The games are the advertisements. The product placements are the show.
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Is there any other sport besides MLB and the TORONTO BLUE JAYS
Please just make sure the .ankeeies don't get to the WS, and if you make it...please beat that team from southern cali that I won't mention.

My team won it last year, we're OUT this year (much to the pleasure of average fans)
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Head

Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Absolutely need that in the visual form.

That pretty much sums it up.

The only thing I don't understand is that a game is 60 minutes. They show virtually every snap, so I'm questioning that (or I'm just not understanding maybe? )
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Why do you want to watch grown men in tights playing with their balls, anyway?
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Absolutely need that in the visual form.

That pretty much sums it up.

The only thing I don't understand is that a game is 60 minutes. They show virtually every snap, so I'm questioning that (or I'm just not understanding maybe? )
You have to remember that after a run, the clock rolls for the next 25 seconds while the offense decides what play to run next. Teams chew the clock all the time. If the game is close, you want to be the last guy with the ball. Strategically, it's like a game of reverse hot-potato.

11 total minutes of the ball actually being in play sounds about right, actually. If you figure that the average play lasts about 5-10 seconds, then you get 25 seconds of clock-chewing.

Hopefully that clears it up.
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please just make sure the .ankeeies don't get to the WS, and if you make it...please beat that team from southern cali that I won't mention.

My team won it last year, we're OUT this year (much to the pleasure of average fans)
Yeah, beating the yankees would be sweet.

So, are you a 49ers fan as well? Joe Montana was my idol as a kid.

The Jays blew their advantage losing 4 out of 5 down the stretch, however such a potent batting order, and a good rotation of starters. We shall see. Can't wait !!!!
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Yeah, beating the yankees would be sweet.

So, are you a 49ers fan as well? Joe Montana was my idol as a kid.
Very much so.
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You have to remember that after a run, the clock rolls for the next 25 seconds while the offense decides what play to run next. Teams chew the clock all the time. If the game is close, you want to be the last guy with the ball. Strategically, it's like a game of reverse hot-potato.

11 total minutes of the ball actually being in play sounds about right, actually. If you figure that the average play lasts about 5-10 seconds, then you get 25 seconds of clock-chewing.

I understand what you are saying. You'd think at my age I'd be able to figure that out.
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

No, the best strategy is complete and utter domination of will, play calling and physical combat.

Like it or loathe it, American football is unique - there really is nothing quite like it; the culture, the violence and extreme physicality, the preparation...the abnormal (and often artificially induced) athleticism and super large human specimens, etc...

appreciate it for what it is, and it's quite entertaining. These guys are literally smashing their heads together for our entertainment (not that that's good), but I'm sure most of them, unless you're Chris Borland, wouldn't trade it for anything. Just ask Jarryd Hayne.

You can nit-pick about any sport and find subjective faults with it.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Sure you can, but I'm nit-picking about the NFL in this moan

The game itself is entertaining. Not saying I don't ever watch it, but these days, I hate it.

Another point of interest: After an eternity of really bad commercials they come back, make some kinda blurp, show some of the crowd, and then kickoff. Nothing happens most of the time, and then, instantly ... back to another several minutes of really bad commercials.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

The commercials actually dictate course of play sometimes - such as if neither team calls a timeout before a certain time, then there's what's known as a network timeout (ahem...commercials). This is what happens when the NFL signs TV deals in the tens of billions. But the popularity is ridiculous: on TV NFL preseason games outdraw Stanley Cup and NBA finals. Jesus, even the freaking NFL draft coverage garners higher TV ratings than the World Series!

I hate commercials myself...but I take advantage of them to take smoke breaks or make a snack, get some drinks, etc...so, I've gotten used to it.

What's absurd is the glorification of commercials during the Super Bowl - that I don't get, it's so manipulative of the consumers. That and the halftime show - it's a sorry spectacle that tries to out do one another each year...IMO, it's totally distracting from the game.

Anyway, the game itself - I'm a big fan. But not anymore than I'm a fan of MLB or the NBA, or boxing, or MMA, or the Olympics when they're on. I appreciate most all sports, and find uniqueness in each.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
No, the best strategy is complete and utter domination of will, play calling and physical combat.
I never said it's the best strategy as a no-huddle offense seems to be pretty tough to defend against.

But, like it or not, it's still a strategy that happens all of the time. If you're up by 7 and you've got 1 minute to go, take 3 knees and go home. There's no reason to wreck your body in garbage time.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
But, like it or not, it's still a strategy that happens all of the time. If you're up by 7 and you've got 1 minute to go, take 3 knees and go home. There's no reason to wreck your body in garbage time.
That's not so much a strategy, as describing a point in the game when the outcome is decided. The downed knees have to considered with the amount of time-outs the other team has. Each possession is 40 seconds, so any team would know the math to know how to proceed at that point.

Now, there have been famous incidents, where the game should have been decided by knees, when for whatever reason, the team with the lead decides to run or pass instead, to incredibly unfortuitous results, perhaps the most famous being the game between the Eagles and Giants in 1978, otherwise known as The Miracle at the Meadowlands - where the Giants holding a 17-12 lead could have run out the final seconds by taking a knee, but instead handed the ball off for a run.

Guess what - fumble, Herm Edwards grabs the loose ball, runs in for a TD, and the Eagles win...
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
MMA
Ewwwww.

.oO : OFF TOPIC: Yay! The .ankees are eliminated and the Cubs have a chance. (not a Cubs fan by any stretch of the imagination, but having the feeling of 3 out of 6 years being world champs is something worth sharing with someone that hasn't ever won).

If you can't have your team win, then variety is the spice of life vs the same ol'.

Now, for those pesky .ardinals and pesky dowdgers, please beat them!
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ewwwww.

.oO : OFF TOPIC: Yay! The .ankees are eliminated and the Cubs have a chance. (not a Cubs fan by any stretch of the imagination, but having the feeling of 3 out of 6 years being world champs is something worth sharing with someone that hasn't ever won).

If you can't have your team win, then variety is the spice of life vs the same ol'.

Now, for those pesky .ardinals and pesky dowdgers, please beat them!
Lifelong SF Giants fan here btw...

I could see a lot of people being turned off/away from MMA, I totally get that...I've been a fan from the beginning, even before the inception of the UFC. I happen to be a bigger boxing fan, just love boxing - to me in a way it's sort of like baseball, as they're both much more complex and subtle than what appears before you, with multiple levels of intricacies, and to appreciate it truly, it does take effort and education.

anyway, I couldn't give a flyin' eff' as long as the Dodgers don't win the WS...that'll be really really hard to take.
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

The problem I have with MMA is that the "money shot" on TV is always someone holding down someone else and beating them senseless aka streetfighting. That's not skill to me personally. I'm sure that people like watching it.
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem I have with MMA is that the "money shot" on TV is always someone holding down someone else and beating them senseless aka streetfighting. That's not skill to me personally. I'm sure that people like watching it.
Actually, of late, there is a tendency for the refs to pull the trigger too quickly, stopping the fight even though the downed fighter still has a chance to recover and fight back.

Perhaps this is a reaction/concession to the backlash about the violence and the possibility for real serious injury. Personally I feel that the fights of late are stopped way too quickly, and I'm sure the fighters themselves would agree.

There is skill to street fighting, or any fighting for that matter. Usually, the more skilled combatant will beat someone with lesser ability, even if they're bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic, etc...
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Nut

Regardless of your opinion of the sport (I happen to love it), I think it's worth mentioning that I have a huge amount of respect for the unsung heroes who have to mix the audio for these games, especially in post production and for highlight reels and shows like Sound FX

I've heard just how bad the audio sounds prior to them editing and mixing it, and it's truly inspiring to see what they're capable of. Imagine you're tasked with mixing a game in which your audio sources are Lav mics:

1) taped on to a player's skin
2) covered in a metal plate
3) then an undershirt
4) then full pads
5) then a jersey
6) then drenched in sports drinks several times a game
7) then being repeatedly subjected to several hundred pounds of high impact
8) then being expected by producer and by extension the audience at home to edit and mix that dialogue to sound flawless, almost as if it was recorded in an ADR booth

It's pretty impressive stuff.
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

The XFL was the only thing worth watching anyway
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHines View Post
Regardless of your opinion of the sport (I happen to love it), I think it's worth mentioning that I have a huge amount of respect for the unsung heroes who have to mix the audio for these games, especially in post production and for highlight reels and shows like Sound FX

I've heard just how bad the audio sounds prior to them editing and mixing it, and it's truly inspiring to see what they're capable of. Imagine you're tasked with mixing a game in which your audio sources are Lav mics:

1) taped on to a player's skin
2) covered in a metal plate
3) then an undershirt
4) then full pads
5) then a jersey
6) then drenched in sports drinks several times a game
7) then being repeatedly subjected to several hundred pounds of high impact
8) then being expected by producer and by extension the audience at home to edit and mix that dialogue to sound flawless, almost as if it was recorded in an ADR booth

It's pretty impressive stuff.
...not to mention the feeds from the numerous parabolic mics to deal with,

though, all those sorts of technical matters that they have to do deal with is compulsory - it just needs to be taken care of, perfunctory in a way. But, how the NFL, or rather its adjunct - NFL Films, elevated the narrative of depicting sports to epic-ally awesome levels, that's an altogether different story.

I mean, the Harry Kalas voice-of-god narration stuff, the maudlin campy brass-heavy melodramatic quasi-miltary-esque go to battle dirge background music, the slow-mo capture of ballet-like movements among the unhumanly developed physical and athletic specimens...what's not to like?

...it's good stuff man; who, unless you're some sort of pansy wimp, who would not appreciate or not be moved by such ethos laden displays of masculinity?

...though, upon realization of having composed a thoroughly embarrassing rant, maybe my priorities need to be re-examined...
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
The XFL was the only thing worth watching anyway
Lolz, LOVED Tommy Maddux!
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
how the NFL, or rather its adjunct - NFL Films, elevated the narrative of depicting sports to epic-ally awesome levels, that's an altogether different story
Absolutely! I've had the good fortune to visit their facility, and it's one of the most impressive media organizations I've ever seen.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search