The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RADAR24 rentals
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

RADAR24 rentals

Hello remote people,
Im looking for a reliable, I repeat reliable, source for renting some Radar24s.
If youre regular readers of this forum you may have read my last experience with a major rental company and their equipment.

I know a simple solution would be for Steve Remote to buy a handfull and start renting them, as his stuff is ALWAYS in tip top shape. You got and extra 50k that youre looking to spend Steve?

Seriously, any Radar24 rental sources would be appreciated.

thanks,

Sean
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Send a mail to IZ corp. , they should know.

/Mats
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mats Olsson
Send a mail to IZ corp. , they should know.

/Mats
Been there, done that.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Sean
Old 7th January 2003
Super Moderator

Sean,

I know what you mean when you said, "You're looking for a reliable source for renting some Radar24s," or any gear for that matter. Not too many rental houses seem to care about testing and/or prepping their gear before it goes out. Usually we have to test the hired gear in our shop before we head out with the stuff. And that sux big time.

Yes, the simple solution would be for me to buy a bunch and start renting them out, but I'm very interested in the new Genex GX9048 HD DSD recorder. It appears to be a very serious contender. At the same time, if IZ develops and starts selling their new solid-state hard drives, that will be a killer way to go too...

And, what about their latest Radar Nyquist which comes with 2 hard drives and the possibility that upcoming versions of the software may allow us to record to two drives simultaneously. This is exactly what we all need for kind of work we do. And the ability to do drive spanning with multiple drives is awesome to boot.

Decisions, decisions... I think I got to hold out and see where it's all going...

RADAR, GENEX, RADAR, GENEX... damn, I cannot wait much longer, I need to make a decision sometime soon.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness

And, what about their latest Radar Nyquist which comes with 2 hard drives and the possibility that upcoming versions of the software may allow us to record to two drives simultaneously. This is exactly what we all need for kind of work we do. And the ability to do drive spanning with multiple drives is awesome to boot.

Decisions, decisions... I think I got to hold out and see where it's all going...
Yeah their 3 bay deal looks very cool. certainly would save back up time.

take care

Sean
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Hey folks!

I am running Radar 24 - Nyquist. Not doing any remotes as of right now, but have monitored/lurked this board for the every tidbit I can pick up (PLENTY!) from you guys. Thanks for everything!

Some random thoughts....

If you buy a Radar, make sure you get the converters you want. Late last year the price for an existing owner to upgrade from Nyquist to S-Nyquist was raised significantly.

I thought O.K. maybe the cost of s-nyquist converter chips went up or somethin. When I pointed out other errors on their posted price list (later fixed) and inquired as to why the big increase, I was told by iz that, "this reflects the perception of iz converters as among the best in the world". O.K. Guess I can't afford to upgrade now. No problem. As a good capitalist I believe everyone gets to charge what they wish. I will either buy, or not.

I did note however on other boards that this increase happened subsequent to Lynn Fuston (sp?) completing his converter coparison "listening party" CD and from what I can tell from other posts distributing the files and/or results back to 3-4 of the mfg participants - including iz.

Interesting conicidink? Good news for iz? Who knows? I hope so. As yet the CDs are not yet available.

Not a problem. I will upgrade when I can afford to pay their price if I need the higher sample rate. Just interesting watch the world go by....

Also note that at present it will cost you more to upgrade to S-Nyquist later from Nyquist than buy it in the first place.

http://izcorp.com/PRICELIST.pdf

Now the good news (ther is much more of that):

1) Rock solid reliable so far
2) Fabulous controller
2) Pretty good customer service - Note iz's loc is Canada and next day air has presented problems not carrier related.
3) Nyquist converters DO sound nice
4) Continued development

During my phone call regarding the pricing of upgrades, I was told that by the end of 2003 they EXPECTED to offer an upgrade options that would allow 24 channels at the max sample rate of converters you have on your unit. Curently using 96 cuts channels to 12 for example). Apparently this is a banwidth issue elsewhere in the unit.

All said, if you need something by the end of the year I don't know that I would try the Genex option. I would think that recording Remote is the last place to try a newly released product.

A year of so after it has been out and we get some feedback the Genex could be just the ticket. Nice teature set indeed.

Buy Rada now and get to know and love it.

Do I recall Genex have somewhat of a "disasterous" recording product in years past? I am probably mingling all sorts of stories, but I thought I recalled a product they either co-developed or bought that ended up having lots of software issues. Anybody know? Please DO NOT take my word for that or somehow take that to somehow mean that the new product might suffer from same.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Head

I have a RADAR-24 with Nyquists that goes out for rental to people I trust. I also get referrals from IZ, and you can reach me at www.wellspringsound.com. Rates vary depending on the project, starts around $100/day
Old 10th January 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by springman
I have a RADAR-24 with Nyquists that goes out for rental to people I trust. I also get referrals from IZ, and you can reach me at www.wellspringsound.com. Rates vary depending on the project, starts around $100/day
I'm sure Sean will love to hear about you.
You guys should hook up!
Sean and company are great people to deal with.
Five star engineer & client!
He is totally trustworthy and a great guy to boot.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure Sean will love to hear about you.
You guys should hook up!
Sean and company are great people to deal with.
Five star engineer & client!
He is totally trustworthy and a great guy to boot.
Thanks Steve.
Springman I will be in touch soon!
BTW, nice picture and article in Mix Steve.
You were pretty close there, what does the Boss smell like?

take care

Sean
Old 11th January 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sofa King
...BTW, nice picture and article in Mix Steve.
You were pretty close there, what does the Boss smell like?...
Successful
Old 29th January 2003
Gear Head

Just wanted to update anyone interested in RADAR rentals. I decided to get a second RADAR 24/nyquist with full remote/TDIF/lightpipe/48 channel meter bridge. These units come with XLR or Elco harnesses, and can be rented individually or as a pair. I can't believe what they're getting for these in LA; my rates will be much lower...

If interested, please contact me at www.wellspringsound.com Thanks!
Old 29th January 2003
Super Moderator

Springman,
What are your rates?
Also, We'll be in Boston on 02/08/03 recording the Donnas at the Paradise. If you're around, why not come by and check out our rig. We can talk about the Radar rental and stuff.
Feel free to PM or email me if applicable.
Old 29th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Successful
Great reply there Steve. Gotta respect a guy who's got good ears AND quick to handle the nonsense.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear