The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is a good CHEAP DSLR Camera or Video Camera for MUSIC VIDEOS
Old 27th August 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Started View Post
I just saw someone saying the T2i is sort of a bad choice for video.
I have never even seen one up close so I can't comment, but here is what the guy said on a post:

"It's not as easy as a video camera. You can't use the viewfinder in movie mode and you have to keep focusing - these problems are caused by the mirror having to be lifted up during video. You also only get a limited amount of recording time before you have to re-start and you'll definitely need an external mic or an external audio recorder."

Can anyone verify if what he says is a very solid statement or not?
So would I be better off getting a dedicated video camera?
I actually would like a camera for pictures as well, but if it really would be a pain to use for video, then I might decide against the t2i.

Hope for fast answers as I might possibly snatch up that $300 t2i (comes with original lens) tomorrow before it's too late.

And is the only the T_i models worth considering and not consider the other Rebel models? Must have 1080P with decent FPS for movement
I use 550d ...50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8 and I like the results. You can se here youtube.com/izaltinojrwww.youtube.com/izaltinojr

Sent from my GT-N7000
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Addict

Hey guys. Just found some nice deals and wanted to pass them along. Check out eBay's daily deals section located on the top left of their home page. Nice deals on camera stuff, from what little I know.

Not sure if you guys heard about this one, it's mirror-less.
What is a good CHEAP DSLR Camera or Video Camera for MUSIC VIDEOSCanon EOS M Digital Camera w EF M 22mm F 2 Lens Black Red Silver White | eBay

Many other great deals. Check them out
eBay Daily Deals: Best Deals of the Day - Plus Free Shipping!
eBay Daily Deals: Best Deals of the Day - Plus Free Shipping!

It turns out my cousin is into photography and already has a T4i with a good average set up. So I am deciding to sell my T2i and put the money into more audio gear and save more time from needing to learn about cameras and put more time into my music.
Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 13th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Let's say the budget of the camera is $300 (so on a DSLR that budget would need to include the len(s), I don't really need wide angle or much zoom). Not factoring in any other video equipment. If I wanted to do my own music videos, what camera or video camera would be good to get for cheap?
You want a video camera for 300,- or do you want a DSLR body for 300,- ?

If you're gonna shoot more than one video you probably gonna need all kinds of lenses.
I think if you wan't something good its better to upgrade your budget. 300,- is just very low budget. Shooting, editing etc. won't be that great.

Quote:
Would prefer a camera if the video quality would be similar.
Are all video quality the same if they all record in 1080P (in comparison of detail, not comparing brightness)?
There are many different aspects which have effect on the end result. Not one camera is the same if the specs differ.

Quote:
Would be nice to have a decent mic on the camera as well, for maybe doing interviews (which they might sing or rap to put on a little show).

If you wanna do serious stuff (music videos, interviews, movies or more) upgrade your budget times 10!
I know 3000,- sounds like a lot but its just the beginning because not everything happens in the camera like light, sound, storage, lenses, rigs, power etc. all drive up the costs. Onboard mic's are never that great so keep in mind that the audio part is probably going to be separate unit, not the camera itself. Its possible without a separate unit but then you probably have to hack the body to get some decent audio controls and visual reference on there.

If you wanna get amazing quality thats easy to edit and has enough dynamic range to do some serious color grading I would say the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is my favourite of all.
Thats 999,- for one an amazing tiny body that blows about any DSLR out off the game.
Btw i'm not implying DSLR's suck because they can deliver amazingly but they're DSLR's not FILM camera's. They're both build for very different reasons.

There is a but...
Because of the high quality its very hungry on storage and battery power. Plus the firmware needs a few important updates but other then that its the best sort of low budget camera out there which can handle itself in a pro level environment.
I would encourage everyone, if they're capable, to upgrade their budget and buy something which make the whole experience so much more fun to do.
In the meantime you can write scripts, story boards, look for great places to shoot etc. (they all have just as much value and doing it all will better your end results) And don't forget you can always rent your gear which costs a lot less if you don't need it all the time.

Philip Bloom made a long review, divided in 3 parts which tells you pretty much every pro and cons of this little tiny body.
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info jswitch, although rather out of my budget.
I have decided to not pursue the video aspect and leave that in my cousins hands.
I had bought a T2i and 4 lenses, but changed my mind and will sell them. I have seen many video makers on websites and this little set up is very much usable, not looking to be super pro. I appreciate the answer though

Cheers
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

Sony DSLRs don't have the mirror blocking problem for video, and offer full time autofocus during video. Their in-body anti-shake is also a big boon to shooting video in low light. Later generation models have added even more features for improving video use, but I don't use my DSLR for video, so I don't recall those details off the top of my head. Canon and Nikon are not the best choices when it comes to DSLR video.

I would have thought that in two pages, someone would have pointed this out. I suppose if Sony were 2X their cost, and were the most expensive brand, that's probably all that would be mentioned here.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the info jswitch, although rather out of my budget.
I have decided to not pursue the video aspect and leave that in my cousins hands.
I had bought a T2i and 4 lenses, but changed my mind and will sell them. I have seen many video makers on websites and this little set up is very much usable, not looking to be super pro. I appreciate the answer though

Cheers
Yep thats my attitude I respect the guy's that do both but I just cannot bring myself to tackle video its a whole nother skill set and I am at over load with just the audio.

B.T.W that russian video is cool goes to show what you can do if you have the skillz.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Nut

To revive an old thread... Why not rent Panasonic GH4 with appropriate lenses. Excellent, easy image. I rent from LensRentals.com, they are good.

(and now I own GH4, too.)
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch View Post
You want a video camera for 300,- or do you want a DSLR body for 300,- ?

If you're gonna shoot more than one video you probably gonna need all kinds of lenses.
I think if you wan't something good its better to upgrade your budget. 300,- is just very low budget. Shooting, editing etc. won't be that great.

There are many different aspects which have effect on the end result. Not one camera is the same if the specs differ.

If you wanna do serious stuff (music videos, interviews, movies or more) upgrade your budget times 10!
I know 3000,- sounds like a lot but its just the beginning because not everything happens in the camera like light, sound, storage, lenses, rigs, power etc. all drive up the costs. Onboard mic's are never that great so keep in mind that the audio part is probably going to be separate unit, not the camera itself. Its possible without a separate unit but then you probably have to hack the body to get some decent audio controls and visual reference on there.

If you wanna get amazing quality thats easy to edit and has enough dynamic range to do some serious color grading I would say the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is my favourite of all.
Thats 999,- for one an amazing tiny body that blows about any DSLR out off the game.
Btw i'm not implying DSLR's suck because they can deliver amazingly but they're DSLR's not FILM camera's. They're both build for very different reasons.

There is a but...
Because of the high quality its very hungry on storage and battery power. Plus the firmware needs a few important updates but other then that its the best sort of low budget camera out there which can handle itself in a pro level environment.
I would encourage everyone, if they're capable, to upgrade their budget and buy something which make the whole experience so much more fun to do.
In the meantime you can write scripts, story boards, look for great places to shoot etc. (they all have just as much value and doing it all will better your end results) And don't forget you can always rent your gear which costs a lot less if you don't need it all the time.

Philip Bloom made a long review, divided in 3 parts which tells you pretty much every pro and cons of this little tiny body.
Best suggestion in this thread.
Old 28th August 2014
Gear Nut

I own BMPCC - and other cameras, Blackmagic and otherwise.

BMPCC (Pocket) is a great tool, but anything BUT easy to work with, I'm sorry to say.

And yes, the latest firmware upgrade just came out a week ago and introduced long-awaited VU meters, as well as a histogram. So what? Screen is abysmal, battery life is way short at 30 min tops in RAW mode; RAW will give you best quality, but is a whole different workflow in edit. ProRes will be OK, but then why choose this camera?

Currently Panasonic GH4 has none of the shortcomings of BMPCC, has insanely long battery life, tons of extra features like slo-mo, WiFi controller app, etc etc - and it also shoots very decent stills. Oh, and it does gorgeous 4K. Gh4 will love you long time!

I'm not a Panasonic fanboy and was actually resisting this camera but it's just too good, objectively. Should be just fine for a relative novice to use, too.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo7ies View Post
I own BMPCC - and other cameras, Blackmagic and otherwise.

BMPCC (Pocket) is a great tool, but anything BUT easy to work with, I'm sorry to say.

And yes, the latest firmware upgrade just came out a week ago and introduced long-awaited VU meters, as well as a histogram. So what? Screen is abysmal, battery life is way short at 30 min tops in RAW mode; RAW will give you best quality, but is a whole different workflow in edit. ProRes will be OK, but then why choose this camera?

Currently Panasonic GH4 has none of the shortcomings of BMPCC, has insanely long battery life, tons of extra features like slo-mo, WiFi controller app, etc etc - and it also shoots very decent stills. Oh, and it does gorgeous 4K. Gh4 will love you long time!

I'm not a Panasonic fanboy and was actually resisting this camera but it's just too good, objectively. Should be just fine for a relative novice to use, too.

The blackmagic pocket and 2.5 bring expanded possibilities and quality into the sub $5k setup.
Davinci is not for the faint at heart but produced results that are hard to match.
Not simple, not straight forward but it's access to level of performance you need a RED at $1000 a day rental, to match.

Not easy, but neither are compressors and eq's...all learning is growing. I aim very high with all I strive to create.
Spielberg has nothing to worry about..
Blackmagic is awesome, regardless of the known difficulties in user acclimation.
Old 28th August 2014
Gear Nut

Well, OP appears to be just starting in the video area, and RAW is not the way to do it.

BTW don't get me wrong - personally, I'm a huge proponent of both RAW in general and BMPCC/BMCC cameras, use them daily (in RAW), wrote an original software to help editing/cataloging RAW easily, run a RAW Cameras group, etc etc.

I just don't think all this would help OP in his particular situation, that's all.

Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo7ies View Post
Well, OP appears to be just starting in the video area, and RAW is not the way to do it.

BTW don't get me wrong - personally, I'm a huge proponent of both RAW in general and BMPCC/BMCC cameras, use them daily (in RAW), wrote an original software to help editing/cataloging RAW easily, run a RAW Cameras group, etc etc.

I just don't think all this would help OP in his particular situation, that's all.

I agree.:-)
Perhaps others can discern the subjective nature of my opinion, in their own search for solutions.
Horses for courses!
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

+1 for a used T3i w/Magic Lantern. The articulating screen on the T3i vs the T2i comes in handy for tricky shots (floor level, overhead).
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

The new sony looks to be a new front runner.
a7s
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Fixed (non-zoom) lenses give both better light transmission and they are optically sharper and more 'contrasty' as well.

The 50mm f1.8 will be very good - it will act as a 'short telephoto' on that body though.

The 35mm f2 makes for a good "normal" lens.

Quality wide angles are pricey though. Perhaps grab the 18-55 lens but only use it at 18mm (where it is 'fastest' - ie, transmits the most light) - maybe just for now until you can afford better - and use the 50mm as above in appropriate scenarios? Second-hand the 50mm should be incredibly inexpensive.
Hi Scott,
If you had only the Blackmagic Designs bmcc or the Sony A7s that you could pick from...which would you choose?
Regards,
Gene
Old 22nd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Hi Scott,
If you had only the Blackmagic Designs bmcc or the Sony A7s that you could pick from...which would you choose?
Regards,
Gene
It would depend on what I was doing/making.

For run n' gun documentary type work the Sony.

For cinema or doc type stuff that wasn't so off-the-cuff the BMCC would be my choice.

Prefer the BMCC overall in terms of of pic quality (the global shutter is a big deal IMO) but it's not the fastest to use.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

I agree completely.
The one other lure with the BMCC is that it includes the full version of Davinci, though it complicates the shopping, I had thoughts of buying the BMCC, keeping Davinci [ and flogging the camera] - then pursuing an A7 or A7s to use for lock outs and like you said...doco on the go stuff.
Davinci appeals to me in that no matter how complex it might be, the software seems to share inherent workflow much like any ol DAW. I can't compare it to another video editing/ colour editting software as readily as I can compare it to a DAW.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
I agree completely.
The one other lure with the BMCC is that it includes the full version of Davinci, though it complicates the shopping, I had thoughts of buying the BMCC, keeping Davinci [ and flogging the camera] - then pursuing an A7 or A7s to use for lock outs and like you said...doco on the go stuff.
Davinci appeals to me in that no matter how complex it might be, the software seems to share inherent workflow much like any ol DAW. I can't compare it to another video editing/ colour editting software as readily as I can compare it to a DAW.
Does davinvi have a tempo grid? So far vegas is the only other one I've found that does.

I've been messing with a Sony RX10, pretty cool camera for the price. I considered a DSLR, but at this stage for me it wouldn't make sense compared to getting all the other stuff needed, especially lights, a shoulder rig, some sort of follow focus, bags, cards batteries etc. I'm just looking to make some decent 'in studio' vids for artists though, nothing too serious, but not wanting to blast a ton of bright lights in here either. But honestly if sony could work their "rx" magic into something like a constant F2 20-200 fixed lens on the new curved full frame sensor that would be very interesting to a non-pro like me.
Old 27th December 2014
Lives for gear

I was in the same situation as the OP recently - decided to shoot a couple of music videos on a budget as close to zero as ever possible. I'm a total newbie to cameras and shooting, both stills and movies.

I ended up getting the Canon EOS m and it has proven to be worth every bit of its modest price tag. Easy to use and get started with it but it still offers a little tweaking if you need it. I can't imagine any better value in another camera for this purpose.

The quality of the footage I've done with it varies from downright stunning to so so depending on the light conditions. You will get noise in very low light conditions but other than that it does a really good job. Fortunately I've participated in some very high budget shoots (as the artist) so I've picked up some basic understanding about what kind of light the pros like to work in. That helps a lot. Just like the acoustics dictate the outcome of a recording the light dictates the outcome of your film.

I noticed one thing about the EOS m (now that I know just a tiny little bit more than when I started out) and I believe it's the variable bitrate n264 compression used. It works really well for the most part but tiny detail on a distance can be slightly weird looking, especially if the camera is moving. I noticed this recently when I was on a trip to New York and tried to fake the look of an "helicopter flying over manhattan" by filming from both Top of the Rock and the Empire state building. I slowly panned the camera both sideways and downward trying to get some Spider-man-style footage and some of it looks really good. But the windows or textures on some skyscrapers further away start "flickering" in an mp3-ish way at times. I believe that's the variable bitrate n264 the EOS m uses.

But a lot of the stuff I've shot looks a lot more expensive than that tiny camera really is. I believe it has excellent optics for the price.

I will be moving up to something more high end soon but I do not regret starting out with a camera that is simple and user friendly.

For all newbies out there.... whatever you do - BUY A TRIPOD!
Old 14th December 2015
Gear Maniac

panasonic gh3 or gh4 for 4k best i have found
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

A 2020 update?
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Canon. Pfft. Check the specs. Nikon d3200-3500 will give you 24mp stills, the 3400/3500 has Bluetooth, non-articulated screen but video can be viewed on your phone with Liveview. $250-$400, 1080 HD video. Add another $200 for d5x00 with articulated screen. GH4 for 4k is as low as it goes, about $750 used. The GH5 replaces it at $1500, much better specs.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear