The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The DSLR thread !
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Being on Linux I got used to open source photo editing.

I use RawTherapee for whole-picture editing and GIMP for finer work. GIMP seems to be very hard to learn if you come from Photoshop, I feel lucky I didn't build any Adobe finger memory. GIMP is moving away from the 8 bits per color channel, and preview capabilities for plugins are good now. Lots of plugins available, but again, the user interface might be very in-your-face where PS presents them more approachable.

I really hate investing time and energy into a tool, only to have it taken away by random guys-with-ties deciding I'm no longer the target audience. I consider the steeper learning curves I go through an investment so that my tools cannot be taken away.

I also hear good things about Darktable, another editor mainly going for raw conversion. As the name suggests, compared to RawTherapee it is more oriented toward processing all your photos from a shoot in a session, not so much single-photo editing.
Old 23rd June 2020
My latest short film

Hey all. This thread has been way too quiet! Someone's gotta post more stuff here.

This is my latest short film. I typically post on Vimeo, but since this is six minutes long it exceeds the 500K weekly limit, so it's on YouTube instead.

This film documents my experiences working from home during the pandemic. Of course it gets a bit sick.

I shot this with my Canon 80D. The sound was mic'ed with a Beyer MC930 into a Tascam DR-70. Except for the string bass sample, all the instruments in the music are real and I play them. I was going to get a retired colleague to play a part, but she refused when I told her what it was about so I had to do them both myself.

This was a horrid, horrid experience. I had to re-shoot several scenes many times. And since I can't watch the audio levels while I'm in a shot, there was a lot of clipping/low-end boominess. The DR-70 records a copy of the audio that is 4 dB lower, and that saved my butt, along with RX7 and the UAD Cambridge EQ to cut the low end.

I think I've also realized I only make one film per year as it takes that long for me to forget how bad a filmmaker I am. I also had to remind myself once in a while that I do this for fun.

Hopefully you like it, or at least aren't too repulsed by it. My aim is to out-weird some very boring coworkers I haven't seen in a few months.

Old 23rd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Hey all. This thread has been way too quiet! Someone's gotta post more stuff here.

This is my latest short film. I typically post on Vimeo, but since this is six minutes long it exceeds the 500K weekly limit, so it's on YouTube instead.

This film documents my experiences working from home during the pandemic. Of course it gets a bit sick.

I shot this with my Canon 80D. The sound was mic'ed with a Beyer MC930 into a Tascam DR-70. Except for the string bass sample, all the instruments in the music are real and I play them. I was going to get a retired colleague to play a part, but she refused when I told her what it was about so I had to do them both myself.

This was a horrid, horrid experience. I had to re-shoot several scenes many times. And since I can't watch the audio levels while I'm in a shot, there was a lot of clipping/low-end boominess. The DR-70 records a copy of the audio that is 4 dB lower, and that saved my butt, along with RX7 and the UAD Cambridge EQ to cut the low end.

I think I've also realized I only make one film per year as it takes that long for me to forget how bad a filmmaker I am. I also had to remind myself once in a while that I do this for fun.

Hopefully you like it, or at least aren't too repulsed by it. My aim is to out-weird some very boring coworkers I haven't seen in a few months.

Where’s the YouTube link
Old 23rd June 2020
Quote:

Where’s the YouTube link
Old 23rd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Where’s the YouTube link
It's buried inside the YouTube post. Just click the Quote button on my post and you'll see it.

The video is set up in YouTube so only people with the link can see it.

EDIT: For greater certainty, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfW-Wt3Tqhk&t=22s
Old 23rd June 2020
Quote:
It's buried inside the YouTube post. Just click the Quote button on my post and you'll see it.

The video is set up in YouTube so only people with the link can see it.
Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020
It's not a DSLR but I want a Pentax Q series camera and all the lenses. so small and cute!
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Gave my Sigma 16mm 1.4 a test this week doing landscape stuff in the Lancashire hills.
https://flic.kr/p/2jf7UQy
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear