The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The DSLR thread !
Old 7th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Being on Linux I got used to open source photo editing.

I use RawTherapee for whole-picture editing and GIMP for finer work. GIMP seems to be very hard to learn if you come from Photoshop, I feel lucky I didn't build any Adobe finger memory. GIMP is moving away from the 8 bits per color channel, and preview capabilities for plugins are good now. Lots of plugins available, but again, the user interface might be very in-your-face where PS presents them more approachable.

I really hate investing time and energy into a tool, only to have it taken away by random guys-with-ties deciding I'm no longer the target audience. I consider the steeper learning curves I go through an investment so that my tools cannot be taken away.

I also hear good things about Darktable, another editor mainly going for raw conversion. As the name suggests, compared to RawTherapee it is more oriented toward processing all your photos from a shoot in a session, not so much single-photo editing.
Old 23rd June 2020 | Show parent
My latest short film

Hey all. This thread has been way too quiet! Someone's gotta post more stuff here.

This is my latest short film. I typically post on Vimeo, but since this is six minutes long it exceeds the 500K weekly limit, so it's on YouTube instead.

This film documents my experiences working from home during the pandemic. Of course it gets a bit sick.

I shot this with my Canon 80D. The sound was mic'ed with a Beyer MC930 into a Tascam DR-70. Except for the string bass sample, all the instruments in the music are real and I play them. I was going to get a retired colleague to play a part, but she refused when I told her what it was about so I had to do them both myself.

This was a horrid, horrid experience. I had to re-shoot several scenes many times. And since I can't watch the audio levels while I'm in a shot, there was a lot of clipping/low-end boominess. The DR-70 records a copy of the audio that is 4 dB lower, and that saved my butt, along with RX7 and the UAD Cambridge EQ to cut the low end.

I think I've also realized I only make one film per year as it takes that long for me to forget how bad a filmmaker I am. I also had to remind myself once in a while that I do this for fun.

Hopefully you like it, or at least aren't too repulsed by it. My aim is to out-weird some very boring coworkers I haven't seen in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Hey all. This thread has been way too quiet! Someone's gotta post more stuff here.

This is my latest short film. I typically post on Vimeo, but since this is six minutes long it exceeds the 500K weekly limit, so it's on YouTube instead.

This film documents my experiences working from home during the pandemic. Of course it gets a bit sick.

I shot this with my Canon 80D. The sound was mic'ed with a Beyer MC930 into a Tascam DR-70. Except for the string bass sample, all the instruments in the music are real and I play them. I was going to get a retired colleague to play a part, but she refused when I told her what it was about so I had to do them both myself.

This was a horrid, horrid experience. I had to re-shoot several scenes many times. And since I can't watch the audio levels while I'm in a shot, there was a lot of clipping/low-end boominess. The DR-70 records a copy of the audio that is 4 dB lower, and that saved my butt, along with RX7 and the UAD Cambridge EQ to cut the low end.

I think I've also realized I only make one film per year as it takes that long for me to forget how bad a filmmaker I am. I also had to remind myself once in a while that I do this for fun.

Hopefully you like it, or at least aren't too repulsed by it. My aim is to out-weird some very boring coworkers I haven't seen in a few months.

Where’s the YouTube link
Quote:

Where’s the YouTube link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Where’s the YouTube link
It's buried inside the YouTube post. Just click the Quote button on my post and you'll see it.

The video is set up in YouTube so only people with the link can see it.

EDIT: For greater certainty, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfW-Wt3Tqhk&t=22s
Quote:
It's buried inside the YouTube post. Just click the Quote button on my post and you'll see it.

The video is set up in YouTube so only people with the link can see it.
Thanks
It's not a DSLR but I want a Pentax Q series camera and all the lenses. so small and cute!
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Gave my Sigma 16mm 1.4 a test this week doing landscape stuff in the Lancashire hills.
https://flic.kr/p/2jf7UQy
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Canon 17-55 F/2.8 worth it?

Resurrecting this thread.

The famed APS-C only Canon 17-55mm F/2.8 IS is on sale until tomorrow- about 33% off.

I've been on the fence for a while about getting this lens, but the price is right (until tomorrow). I don't see myself upgrading from my 80D for quite some time as I'm quite happy with it. Maybe mirrorless full-frame some year down the road, but not in the foreseeable future. I am a Canon guy and have been for years.

Does anyone have it here? Do you recommend it? Lots of people seem to think it'll smoke my kit 18-55mm.

If I don't get it, the money will be used in a few months for a 65' Princeton Reverb.

Thanks!
I've never had that one, but I have a 12-40mm (similar FF range) m4/3 that's 2.8 all the way through, which is a similar concept. Honestly, it's mostly useful at the end of the range, as most lenses are less than a stop away at the wide end.

For that much money, I'd say the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 is a much better value. Sure it isn't as long, but a 24-50mm equivalent at 1.8 all the way through, not to mention how tack sharp it is, is great. The only drawback is that isn't a small lens.
Lives for gear

I would not buy APS-C only lenses even if I only had a APS-C body.

Used full frame cameras are tempting, and you exclude yourself from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post

I definitely made a decision to try and buy mostly FF lenses myself. I'm using a speedbooster with my GH5 regardless because it's an m4/3 system, and the Sigma 18-35mm is such an incredible lens I said screw it. I doubt I'll leave m4/3 any time soon. I have a GX85 as well and the bang for the buck in such a small camera with my 20mm and 45mm f1.7 lenses is incredible for just walking around.
I did consider giving up the 18-35mm for a couple of 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm primes that are fully manual for cinematography, but honestly if I'm going that far I'm renting a $60K Red Monstro kit or something for a week and for my own jacking around the 18-35mm is perfect (plus it's nearly parfocal).

But yeah I would almost always recommend a FF lens if possible to give flexibility and not have to rebuild a kit if you move to FF. It seems like a lot of companies are pushing their lines that direction now and there are some really affordable FF mirrorless cameras out. I think mirrorless is probably also the next logical step for most systems.
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

I know..........

I thought about it for a week, but decided not to go for it. That lens is long in the tooth and maybe they'll be releasing a V2. A couple months after I got my 80D they released the 90D, then the shortly thereafter their mirrorless. I don't like the idea of buying the lens, only to have a new and improved one released shortly thereafter.

Think I'll wait a while. I am hankering for better glass though.
Lives for gear

Hi folks, it’s been a while! A little bit random but still on the subject somehow...
I still have my Canon 5d mkIII - but it seems more and more people are migrating to mirror less cameras.

Don’t mean to get on a debate of which is better (we already do that with Audio Gear!)...

But am i missing something that I should consider about going mirror less? (As far as I get is mostly about the viewfinder?)
I don't know about quality and the limits of resolution or anything, but they can make mirrorless smaller. That has some advantages, especially when you're trying to pack in in-body stabilization and cooling. I think mirrorless is generally considered better for video as well.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can chime in if there's a difference in quality, but I haven't noticed it one way or the other.
I want a Pentax Q series camera.. So small.. its cute..

One day...
Old 1st October 2020
Lives for gear

chime in at 2020 Recommendations for DSLR or Mirrorless Cameras

Last edited by Bender412; 1st October 2020 at 06:48 PM..
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
So I let the 17-55 F/2.8 slide and the sale ended yesterday.

I looked it up today and it's $100 cheaper than the last sale, for another month.

They must be trying to get rid of it or something.
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossaree View Post
Hi folks, it’s been a while! A little bit random but still on the subject somehow...
I still have my Canon 5d mkIII - but it seems more and more people are migrating to mirror less cameras.

Don’t mean to get on a debate of which is better (we already do that with Audio Gear!)...

But am i missing something that I should consider about going mirror less? (As far as I get is mostly about the viewfinder?)
Personally I do birds-in-flight, airshows and the like. So mirror and viewfinder it is for me.
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:

DSLRs are too bulky as it is. If I'm going digital at all, it's because I need convenience. The sensor size isn't an impediment in those cases. Otherwise, I'm shooting 35mm, 120 or 4x5.
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Nut

[IMG]https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/0860053743/CFVII_907X_45frontright_4000px_copy.jpeg?_gl=1*gh5ivw*_ga*YW1wLWxsenhTanlGRFJVS3k4NlctbUljX3VNMHRzelJjdkpqQ3hZdnZUWUhrT3hOd0pHaE5DY0taODhNUU15OGpDWHM[/IMG]

Hasselblad anyone?

“Only” 7 grand
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezident View Post
[IMG]https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/0860053743/CFVII_907X_45frontright_4000px_copy.jpeg?_gl=1*gh5ivw*_ga*YW1wLWxsenhTanlGRFJVS3k4NlctbUljX3VNMHRzelJjdkpqQ3hZdnZUWUhrT3hOd0pHaE5DY0taODhNUU15OGpDWHM[/IMG]

Hasselblad anyone?

“Only” 7 grand
Body only I think. They say that lenses that are 60+ years old still fit this body, which is impressive. It better be impressive at that price.

Very cool commercials though:

Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossaree View Post
Indeed.

- already seeing the exposure in the viewfinder: eliminates the need for display-checking after each shot

- AF everywhere in the picture

- 100% zoom in the viewfinder possible

- white balance in the vewfinder

- silent mode is completely silent if you want to. 0dB. Really.

- no front-/back focus / misaligned AF systems anymore

... just to name a few.

I have waited quite some time until I sold my DSLRs when I bought the EOS R, but I simply have not used them anymore.
I would not want to go back to DSLR.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingloud View Post
Indeed.

- already seeing the exposure in the viewfinder: eliminates the need for display-checking after each shot

- AF everywhere in the picture

- 100% zoom in the viewfinder possible

- white balance in the vewfinder

- silent mode is completely silent if you want to. 0dB. Really.

- no front-/back focus / misaligned AF systems anymore

... just to name a few.

I have waited quite some time until I sold my DSLRs when I bought the EOS R, but I simply have not used them anymore.
I would not want to go back to DSLR.
Last weekend visiting the stepson I ended up watching a load of 'evan and katelyn' stuff, a just about tolerable cute couple who do cute d.i.y stuff like building a giant hamster wheel for their cat. I googled the camera they use for their extensive handheld stuff and it's an EOS R with the 24-105/4 and a big fluffy RODE mic.

I use an A7s. Mostly for stills. The mechanical shutter died a while back after a jetty wave surprise. So yay for its electronic shutter.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezident View Post

Hasselblad anyone?
too much hassle

I do use one, if the job demands it. They have competitors like Phase1 and Fuji GFX and Leica S System.

Technically speaking, image quality is flawless and much better than 24x36mm "full frame" systems.
In real world, the image quality those cameras are able to deliver, is seldomly demanded, since the high quality print media is not a thing anymore.

For newspaper print quality in daylight, your phoney camera is sufficient. For digital content? Same.

Photography and Audio share the same fate. You can produce competitive content with hardware for a few hundred $.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear