The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help choosing a camcorder
Old 11th September 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
fastlane's Avatar
 

Help choosing a camcorder

Can anyone suggest a good HD camcorder with an external mix input?

Not too expensive but with good video quality.
Old 12th September 2010
  #2
Gear Addict
 
kingchong's Avatar
 

Canon HSF 100

Not sure of the price range you're looking in, but last December I bought a Canon HFS 100. It has an 1/8" jack in the front for a mic input. I watched a lot of videos on youtube that were shot with it before I bought it. I am impressed with the video quality, and I haven't really messed with too many of the settings.

The only gripe I have is that it shoots the video in .mts format, which I don't have a converter for. I have a ton of files sitting on my pc that I can't edit until I buy a program. Saving for Vegas or the Adobe Suite.
Old 12th September 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
fastlane's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchong View Post
Not sure of the price range you're looking in, but last December I bought a Canon HFS 100. It has an 1/8" jack in the front for a mic input. I watched a lot of videos on youtube that were shot with it before I bought it. I am impressed with the video quality, and I haven't really messed with too many of the settings.

The only gripe I have is that it shoots the video in .mts format, which I don't have a converter for. I have a ton of files sitting on my pc that I can't edit until I buy a program. Saving for Vegas or the Adobe Suite.
Cheers, I will check it out.

Was hoping to get something for around €500 but if I have to spend more then I will.

What do you think about using the likes of the Panasonic G2 for video?

DMC-G2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
Old 12th September 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
Last year I bought a JVC Everio HD camcorder, mainly for recording my bands shows, little video projects, etc. Nothing major. The camera does NOT have an audio input (I'm not sure any of the models in the Everio line do), but for my purposes I didn't need it.

In low light, the camera is decent. In well lit situations, it is amazing for the $400 I spent. I would say the cheapest thing about it is the lens, although the zoom range and quality is pretty impressive.

It records HD in .MTS format. The camera comes with software to play the .MTS files, which works very well. I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum for conversion and editing. It's definitely the best <$100 video editing software I've found.

I know you probably need that audio input, but I do recommend the JVC camcorders otherwise. If anything, I'm saying that for your price range you should be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for your money these days. I would seriously consider just getting a little cheap standalone digital audio recorder (Zoom, Tascam, etc) and then importing the audio into your video editing program. That way you'd probably get infinitely more control over the audio than a video camera's onboard audio inputs, especially in your price range.
Old 12th September 2010
  #5
Gear Addict
 
kingchong's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Cheers, I will check it out.

Was hoping to get something for around €500 but if I have to spend more then I will.

What do you think about using the likes of the Panasonic G2 for video?

DMC-G2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
I remember a friend showing me someone's Vimeo profile who shot all their videos with a camera like that and they looked amazing. I'll try to find the page, but I know it's possible to get professional results with one of those.
Old 13th September 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
cubivore's Avatar
 

i just bought my dad the canon m300. HD + external mic input. was about to get the comparable sony, but this has the mic jack and pretty good low light performance. so far, dad is very happy!
Old 13th September 2010
  #7
If you want 24p cinema mode, the HV20 or HV30 is awesome for this.
Old 13th September 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
fastlane's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchong View Post
I remember a friend showing me someone's Vimeo profile who shot all their videos with a camera like that and they looked amazing. I'll try to find the page, but I know it's possible to get professional results with one of those.
Cheers, thanks
Old 13th September 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
fastlane's Avatar
 

Thanks for the other options guys. Will start reading up on them tonight, now I have some options
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump