The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Macbook magsafe psu quality issues, solution?
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Addict

Macbook magsafe psu quality issues, solution?

Has anyone found a solution to the flaky magsafe power supply connectors that only last around 12 months?

I'm still using a mid 2012 15" mbp that I owned from new, which i've upgraded with 2x large ssd drives and 16gb of ram and it just continues to work really nicely for me, so don't see a reason to upgrade anytime soon. However, the magsafe connectors aren't designed to last too long and I have a big collection of broken ones that have all failed in the same place, where the cable meets the connection tip. It's the same thing happening with DJ friends of mine too, who all have a roughly 12 month life cycle before needing to replace theirs

Sadly, the magsafe end of the cable is connected to the PSU, so there can be no cheap and easy way to replace just the cable.

So how do you maintain yours, or what do you replace your psu with?

Ideally a power supply with replaceable cables and connectors would be perfect and help maintain the planet's resources, but Apple being Apple......

I have seen cables with connectors that you can fit yourself, but you need to break open the power supply and that seems to damage them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search