The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AV Home Receiver?
Old 19th November 2019
Gear Guru

AV Home Receiver?

I had a Harmon Kardon surround sound receiver for years. It did the job and sounded good, but one day it just started spitting out crazy loud white noise at random times, so I replaced it with a Yamaha. The Yamaha is considerably more fancy, more than I really need (5.1 is fine) and it seemed fine until a week ago when I noticed that during loud parts of TV shows it just started shutting down, and it really wasn’t playing very loud. I do notice that I have to crank it fairly loud at times to get a decent volume.

Anyway, I want to replace it, but I don’t know what’s good anymore. Previously I knew brands like NAD, HK and Marantz were all solid, but I know how things fluctuate and I know that sometimes brands release budget versions of their better stuff and it’s just crap. I don’t need a ton of modes that just seem to add weird sounding reverb to my signal. I just want to watch TV and listen to music (CDs, DVD/BluRay and Apple TV) with a decent level of quality. My speakers are Boston Acoustic, and they seem good enough to me. I’d appreciate recommendations and experiences. My hope is to get something around $500.
Old 20th November 2019
Gear Guru

In case anyone else is seeking similar info, I ended up finding a used Marantz NR1403 that’s perfect for my needs and sounds very good.
Old 23rd November 2019
I was going to suggest Yamaha, but I see you already replaced your H/K.

I've had mine for about 11 years and it has served me well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Harmon Kardon is pretty awesome manufacturer, I've had it as well, till that moment when sub-woofers stopped playing. Sometimes it can happen because of an old receiver, and some connectivity problems, as technicians say. Two weeks ago, I have got audio receiver model Sony STRDH190 ( from this list: https://chooserator.com/best-av-receiver-under-200 ), and it's the best model in the list of "under $ 200" models, believe me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search