The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elbow portable cassette player
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Elbow portable cassette player

This looks nifty. Audio output plus USB.

ELBOW

Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
This looks nifty. Audio output plus USB.

ELBOW

Now THAT is a gizmo!!!

I suspect it's not a super practical device (can't imagine it can do a fast wind without tape mayhem) but it's CUTE AS HELL!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Useless for music because it's a rim-drive device, no pinch roller or capstan.

The tape is only pulled by the take-up reel...even if the motor was super smooth, as tape gets loaded onto the take-up reel the speed of the tape being pulled past the head will speed up...it's the pinch roller/capstan combination that regulates tape speed. That's why rim drive machines are usually used for recording speech only.

If you don't know why rim-drive is not good for music, check out the first minute of the following video which features a rim-drive cassette player:

You can try this yourself with your own equipment by lifting the pinch roller while the tape is playing.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Useless for music because it's a rim-drive device, no pinch roller or capstan.

The tape is only pulled by the take-up reel...even if the motor was super smooth, as tape gets loaded onto the take-up reel the speed of the tape being pulled past the head will speed up...it's the pinch roller/capstan combination that regulates tape speed. That's why rim drive machines are usually used for recording speech only.

If you don't know why rim-drive is not good for music, check out the first minute of the following video which features a rim-drive cassette player:

You can try this yourself with your own equipment by lifting the pinch roller while the tape is playing.
That's 'great.'

FWIW (and as I've mentioned elsewhere, previously) my first tape recorder not only had no capstan -- its erase head was -- literally -- a permanent magnet on a little brass spring clip that would press against the tape in record mode.

[scene from The Crawling Hand on MST3K. The tragic hero of the piece dictates a description of his descent into apparent madness into his own recorder, virtually identical to my own. I think I got mine in 1961, IIRC. Movie was from '63.]

Some folks apparently manage to get through industrial design (ID) classes without getting much in the way of practical technological or mechanical understanding -- and you see their 'brilliant ideas' scattered across the Kickstarter and other crowd-funding scenes. Laser this, quantum that, well lubricated with liquid BS.

I suspected from the look of this thing that it was one of those and nothing I read on their funding page changed my thinking on that.

I liken the phenom to these startups that pop up every so often promising to do 'real time online jamming'...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
and you see their 'brilliant ideas' scattered across the Kickstarter and other crowd-funding scenes. Laser this, quantum that, well lubricated with liquid BS.
Saw one promoted as "Kickstarter Gold" recently where they made a fuss about a modern recording done on wax cylinder you could get and how it was "recorded without electricity":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=NewsACJul0617

For me it's a lot of fuss about nothing because I've watch videos about how old gramophones worked and how early recordings were made, and you can buy old original wax cylinders for a lot less money if you really want one.

I even seen a "Stroh violin" that is a violin with a horn specifically used for gramophone recording...Lindsey Sterling played a reproduction of the Stroh in her video "Roundtable Rival":
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Saw one promoted as "Kickstarter Gold" recently where they made a fuss about a modern recording done on wax cylinder you could get and how it was "recorded without electricity":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=NewsACJul0617

For me it's a lot of fuss about nothing because I've watch videos about how old gramophones worked and how early recordings were made, and you can buy old original wax cylinders for a lot less money if you really want one.

I even seen a "Stroh violin" that is a violin with a horn specifically used for gramophone recording...Lindsey Sterling played a reproduction of the Stroh in her video "Roundtable Rival":
He had me with this paragraph (about different release forms of his projects)...

Quote:
1. BY POPULAR DEMAND (10" vinyl record)
My first album. The eight songs on BY POPULAR DEMAND were recorded without electricity onto wax cylinder then transferred to analog tape; the tape output went directly to the record lathe. The music that you hear from your speakers, from recording to pressing, never entered the digital medium and is a completely physical, analog experience. The goal was to create an entire release using processes and techniques that existed pre-1900; [...]
[bolded to emphasize ironic elements]

So I guess it only makes sense that his wax cylinder release will be accompanied by an mp3 version -- so the purchasers who don't have a wax cylinder player (ah, but I'll bet they've had handlebar moustaches within the last 5 years!) will nonetheless be able to hear it.

BTW, when I was a kid in a summer school science class, the teacher brought in a wax cylinder recorder and we did some very lo fi recording (the wax was old and brittle so especially bad). I got volunteered to be recorded doing a recitation (I'm betting part of Lincoln's Gettysburg address which a lot of kids memorized in those days [we didn't have smart phones so we had to work hard to entertain ourselves]).

All that aside, I did find this 'making-of' vid and I thought it was really interesting.

PS... I REALLY wanted to see what he did with the harp strings on the big ass hybrid guitar/harp thing -- but all he was doing was playing cowboy chords on the conventional part of it and they didn't even use it in the recording. I do have to say I preferred the performance once it had been through the cylinder recording proces; the extreme 'distancing' served it well. Was a bit o' flutter, though.

Last edited by theblue1; 1 week ago at 06:08 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search