The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MONO is Back !!! the Apple Speaker ...
Old 1 week ago
Why is this in the music computers section? What's next? Half-mono microphones for sunglasses? Kitchen knife speed dating? Making humus on Mars?
Seriously...the neighbourhood is going down...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
so, isn't it weird that the most used reproduction media are (at least among <40yr) bluetooth speaker (totally MONO) and headphones (totally STEREO)?
how should we consider this while mixing?
Easy....always create a mono and a stereo mix, like they did back in the mid-60's (Beatles, Dylan, Beach Boys etc). Be sure to spend more time and attention on the mono version....again, as they did in the 60's.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Why is this in the music computers section? What's next? Half-mono microphones for sunglasses? Kitchen knife speed dating? Making humus on Mars?
Seriously...the neighbourhood is going down...
The Pod is potentially the one new speaker which your material will be played on by end-user.

Wouldn't it be relevant to have thought through how listening will be done by a large group of end-users?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
Wouldn't it be relevant to have thought through how listening will be done by a large group of end-users?
and what makes you think Apple hasn't done massive listening testing? they aren't stupid! those commenting and complaining on here are a very small demographic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
and what makes you think Apple hasn't done massive listening testing? they aren't stupid! those commenting and complaining on here are a very small demographic.
Maybe I'm mistaken if I take it that you think we are in disagreement?

(I think I know what I just meant...).

My point is: People would better be interested in how their music will perform on normal people's gear. Being consumer-oriented is normally good for business.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
The Pod is potentially the one new speaker which your material will be played on by end-user.

1. potentially we could discuss a lot of popular speakers then
2. and this would have to do with music computers what exactly?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
1. potentially we could discuss a lot of popular speakers then
2. and this would have to do with music computers what exactly?
Ad 1: Yes, but it's smarter to understand the most common speakers and the ones that have the highest growth in the end-user marketplace. This is just common sense, right?

Ad 2: I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here. Fact is, the Pod is one of the speakers in the world with the highest computing power embedded on internal circuitry. I am not one of the evangelists of artificial intelligence, but I do hope that smart computing will revolutionise audio.

Having said that, mono can be great. Listened to Sketches of Spain with Miles Davis in original mono yesterday. Great sound, nice imaging.

A favorite of mine is the recordings of 2L. They are nominated for Grammy(s) every year, however in the multichannel surround class. When I listen to the stereo versions of 2L's recordings, sound is second to none. My point being that great mastering engineers and mixing teams can release different versions of the same album, depending on the playback scenario. It takes much more competence to master different channel scenarios, but that may be just what the recording business needs, i.e. releases that demand more from the audio engineers.

So I wouldn't paint a bleak picture of the future. Let's cross fingers technology will revolutionise home audio in the long run.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I prefer mono over stereo most of the times honestly.. All my productions are made in mono as well, only when mixing it will get to stereo with panning, reverbs, echo's and a subtle chorus here and there...

Also, its not that hard to make a stereo mix that also works in mono.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Ad 1: Yes, but it's smarter to understand the most common speakers and the ones that have the highest growth in the end-user marketplace. This is just common sense, right?

Ad 2: I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here. Fact is, the Pod is one of the speakers in the world with the highest computing power embedded on internal circuitry. I am not one of the evangelists of artificial intelligence, but I do hope that smart computing will revolutionise audio.

Having said that, mono can be great. Listened to Sketches of Spain with Miles Davis in original mono yesterday. Great sound, nice imaging.

A favorite of mine is the recordings of 2L. They are nominated for Grammy(s) every year, however in the multichannel surround class. When I listen to the stereo versions of 2L's recordings, sound is second to none. My point being that great mastering engineers and mixing teams can release different versions of the same album, depending on the playback scenario. It takes much more competence to master different channel scenarios, but that may be just what the recording business needs, i.e. releases that demand more from the audio engineers.

So I wouldn't paint a bleak picture of the future. Let's cross fingers technology will revolutionise home audio in the long run.
You still miss the point it was in the wrong forum. Just because it has DSP in it doesn't make it a music computer.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You still miss the point it was in the wrong forum. Just because it has DSP in it doesn't make it a music computer.
hi, since i started this MayLay ... i will answer your question ..

because i wanted people to See It .. and it is the Only Category with "Music" in it .. i would be happy to put it where you suggest !! haha .. but i could not find these categories .. maybe someday ..

1) Trashcans that play audio Louder than a Trashcan, Can !!
2) Balls of Twine that play audio .. my favorite so far .. Credit goes to Blue !!
3) Trashcans that can mix your stems for you ..
4) Ambient Surround Sound from a Trashcan ..
5) or just plain - Dumb Things that we can have a laugh over and then Worry that our Mixes are getting Destroyed by some AI mixing Algorithm ..

Honestly, where would you like the moderators to move this .. feel free, as it was a bit of a joke to begin with !! i am tying to save some money to buy 6 and create a 5.1 system .. i am afraid the Cats will use the Sub as a Scratch Post !!!

cheers john

UPDATE: LOL .. it is moved .. Perfect Place for it ..

Last edited by jwh1192; 6 days ago at 11:54 PM.. Reason: UPDATE:
Old 6 days ago
I am increasingly besotted with the idea of trash cans that mix your music for you -- as long as they are, indeed, dual use; I need a new trash can. But could I hose it out?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I am increasingly besotted with the idea of trash cans that mix your music for you -- as long as they are, indeed, dual use; I need a new trash can. But could I hose it out?
no hose needed, it comes with a one year supply of 4 gal Bags with a nice Lemon Scent !!!

and i would think water would just make a mess with that big fan spraying all over the room .. or i suppose you could turn it off 1st .. but where's the fun in that !!! Sparks and Spray !!!!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
no hose needed, it comes with a one year supply of 4 gal Bags with a nice Lemon Scent !!!

and i would think water would just make a mess with that big fan spraying all over the room .. or i suppose you could turn it off 1st .. but where's the fun in that !!! Sparks and Spray !!!!
Well, I suppose Apple with their infinite knowledge can separate water from electronics - after all, they introduced water-cooled PowerMac G5s early on in the 2000's long before water cooling became mainstream with gamers.

Which leads to me to believe, that Apple could have a huge hit on their hands with a speaker/humidifier/air freshener combo.

The Glade/Apple pod freshener. Just sayin' man...

Maybe after they hit with that, a chia Pod - in the shape of Steve Job's bust. But maybe instead of chia seeds, a new Hindu-Kush strain. It's legal in Cali now, ain't it?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Well, I suppose Apple with their infinite knowledge can separate water from electronics - after all, they introduced water-cooled PowerMac G5s early on in the 2000's long before water cooling became mainstream with gamers.

Which leads to me to believe, that Apple could have a huge hit on their hands with a speaker/humidifier/air freshener combo.

The Glade/Apple pod freshener. Just sayin' man...

Maybe after they hit with that, a chia Pod - in the shape of Steve Job's bust. But maybe instead of chia seeds, a new Hindu-Kush strain. It's legal in Cali now, ain't it?
HAHAHAHHA Chia-Pod .. you know, for the kids ... Ch-Ch-Chia-Pod

and almost legal .. since i live in venice, a cloud of the Magic Vapor passing by the windows every few minutes .. no need to buy it, just stick your head out the window and Inhale !!! in about an hour, some Blackberry should be floating by !!

i will be making some Ginger Tea and Vegan Wheat Toast, grabbing a beach chair and go up on the roof deck and enjoy the passing winds !!

Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
and can you make small fires in it out of incriminating documents?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
and can you make small fires in it out of incriminating documents?
Rumors are the Smart Trash Can prototypes run hot, anyhow, so there's a leg up on that feature.

Shredding is an alternative. Adding interesting possibilities... It auto-mixes your new shred metal song and, should you not like the mix, it can then shred that...
Old 5 days ago
Tui
Gear Guru

You guys are completely mad.

Love it.
Old 5 days ago
Gee... its 1955 all over again with the Columbia party house series and heath kit speakers!!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

now it truly makes sense for this Thread (my fault for this) to be here in this category .. it's MAAAAAAADDDDD !!!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
MONO AND TESTS OF SPEAKER QUALITY

This just in, written by Floyd Toole:

"First of all do the tests mono and adjust for equal loudness. Because the speakers are so similar even an A-weighted measurement should work. I know there will be complaints that you are missing the details of "imaging", but any such details are swamped by timbre issues that will be revealed. In this case, comparing two loudspeakers that are as close to neutral as exists right now the differences will be rather small and listening in stereo simply makes the differences harder to hear".

(...)

"All of our listening tests involved comparisons of three or four loudspeakers, presented in randomized sequences. In the beginning we compared single loudspeakers for simplicity, but later discovered that listeners heard more problems and were more critical when listening in mono than in stereo. Several stereo vs. mono tests since then have shown that winners in the mono tests also win the stereo tests. The latest tests show that we are even less critical in multichannel comparisons".

From avsforum (via a member), where Floyd just joined as a member.

In other words, there seems to be more than meets the eye regarding mono vs stereo and even multichannel. Have we been accustomed to stereo, to the extent that we have forgotten the advantages of mono?
Old 5 days ago
Tui
Gear Guru

Welcome to the dialectics of 2017.

Mono is better than stereo - how could we have missed such a self-evident truth? For years and years, we've been fooling ourselves into believing that spacial information makes music more intelligible and life-like. How wrong we were! Thanks to Apple, a company that only has the best interest of its customers at heart, but never acts out of some dishonourable profit motive, we are finally back on the correct path. We can now enjoy music the way it was intended all along, from the days of Edison's first phonograph.

Let's free ourselves from the deceptive wickedness of stereo, I say. Let's return to the purity of mono - even if it costs a little more.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post

Mono is better than stereo - how could we have missed such a self-evident truth? For years and years, we've been fooling ourselves into believing that spacial information makes music more intelligible and life-like. How wrong we were! Thanks to Apple, a company that only has the best interest of its customers at heart, but never acts out of some dishonourable profit motive, we are finally back on the correct path. We can now enjoy music the way it was intended all along, from the days of Edison's first phonograph.

Let's free ourselves from the deceptive wickedness of stereo, I say. Let's return to the purity of mono - even if it costs a little more.

This is not a black or white discussion. My point is to make the picture a bit more nuanced. Mono needn't be bad. Stereo has a great potential and is often better than mono. Multichannel has an even higher potential but is more complicated than stereo. What is best - mono, stereo or multichannel - depends.

In my opinion, lots of newer releases have such a bad "imaging" in lack of a better word that I suspect the music is better played in mono after all. All music productions are not of equal quality. Needless to say, main issue in soundstaging is the quality of the recording itself.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post

Mono is better than stereo - how could we have missed such a self-evident truth? For years and years, we've been fooling ourselves into believing that spacial information makes music more intelligible and life-like. How wrong we were!
Mono is a "lost technology". Numerous olive pits found in excavations of ancient Greek amphitheaters were originally thought to be leftover from audience snacking. We now know that they were earplugs. After carefully designing their performance spaces with acoustic principles centuries ahead of their time, the Greeks stuck an olive in one ear, so that they would hear plays and music as nature intended - in glorious mono.

That's how advanced they were.

Quote:
...We can now enjoy music the way it was intended all along, from the days of Edison's first phonograph.

a few threads over we have a ongoing discussion of the "smooth warm character" imparted by the wow of defective turntables, and of course every week there's another artiste waxing poetic about warming up his tracks by running it through a cassette deck.

So why not a similar revisionist gentrification for mono? Certainly mono is overdue for its second fifteen minutes.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Mono is a "lost technology". Numerous olive pits found in excavations of ancient Greek amphitheaters were originally thought to be leftover from audience snacking. We now know that they were earplugs. After carefully designing their performance spaces with acoustic principles centuries ahead of their time, the Greeks stuck an olive in one ear, so that they would hear plays and music as nature intended - in glorious mono.

That's how advanced they were.
and the Pimento can be taken out for increased High End if you like .. !!!
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search