The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers don't satisfy me for electronic music
Old 16th May 2017
Gear Head

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers don't satisfy me for electronic music

It is my first hi-fi system: Monitor Audio Bronze 2 standmounters and the Onkyo A-9010 amp.

I don't like listening to electronic music with these. I think the "problem" is more the speakers, not the amp. They have 6 inch subwoofers, probably not enough. The bass simply lacks definition, it all sounds like a generic bubble of resonance.

I greatly prefer listening to electronic music with Yamaha HS80M monitors, probably due to the larger woofer. I also prefer listening with some cans hooked to the amp. But the speakers are disappointing for electronic music. They perform satisfyingly for music and game sound, and acoustic music. The dynamics and contrast, and detail in middle to high frequencies, are good. The problem is mainly the bass.

Option one would be to add a subwoofer. I wanted to avoid that, as I'm afraid to annoy the neighbours. Also, the Onkyo amp does not have a sub amp but I understand I could somehow add an ACTIVE sub.

the other idea was to substitute the Bronzes with tower speakers, and I'm looking at the Q Acoustics 3050s.

Would this improve the situation as for listening electronic music is concerned? I don't have a big budget and I don't want to spend for disappointment again. I can consider a sub, but it's not clear to me how I would connect it to the Onkyo amp which I'm not going to replace anytime soon.

Suggestions? I need better punchy sound for my electronic music listening. The setup I have right now is truly disappointing in that concern, I'd rather listen with some cheap multimedia speakers. They give me more of a sense of punchiness considering they're much smaller.

The Bronzes do sound beautiful in acoustic and orchestral music though, although one can probably find better at higher prices.

What sub and how would I connect it to the Onkyo? And/or, would those towers improve the situation?

Last edited by purpleduck; 16th May 2017 at 05:04 AM..
Old 21st May 2017
Here for the gear

Hey Duck,
Funny, I'm currently looking for infos on my first HiFi system. Quite surprised there's so few discussions about HiFi on this forum ; a very slutty music-related passion it is...

Anyway, from what I gathered along the way here's what I can tell you :

First, I've heard the Bronze 2 among other speakers yesterday in a shop, and I can tell you that despite the very good things I heard about them, I immediately found the lower range to be a bit of a mess. On 70s soul, it was doing OK ; but once I tried some more recent and electronic stuff (Todd Terje, The Weeknd, some stuff from Daft Punk's Homework), I immediately took them off the list.

But it doesn't mean you can't do better with your current gear. I'm sure they can be able to have enough bass, all you have to do is check a few tings : how big is your room ? Are the speakers close to the rear wall ? What cables are you using ? Depending on the answers to these, you might be able to lift things up by trying a few different tweaks.

From what I read, adding a sub can be a very tricky thing to do/setup, and you'll see that it's often really not advised for music listening (rather for home cinema). It's usually an option for speakers that don't go very low, so they can effectively take over from their lowest frequency ; they're not really supposed to "add" bass.

Finally, you considered switching to tower speakers ; it might indeed be a good solution, considering that low-mid response is considerably better handled on them. Maybe you should try some ? If you have the opportunity, maybe take your amp with you to try some different things.

Hope it'll help !
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Addict

Try putting some porous foam in the port and see if that helps but the amount of bass may be reduced slightly. The bass in this speaker is one of it's weaknesses. PSB and KEF are better overall especially in the bass. Don't expect a lot of low end from small drivers, may need a subwoofer. Closer to the back wall can help but other reflection problems start to creep in.

PS...if you add a sub use speaker B with ordinary speaker wire, of course the sub must have a "speaker in" terminals for this arrangement then set sub volume and where it's to be added. You can't use tape out because the volume is fixed at max volume. The other option is to first connect your amp to the sub in and connect speakers to speaker out and use the xover in the sub to set the xover point eliminating most of the deep bass from the speakers resulting in a cleaner bass. Talk to your local dealer or do a little research.

Last edited by sd270; 22nd May 2017 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: to add info
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search