The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The DSLR thread !
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Being on Linux I got used to open source photo editing.

I use RawTherapee for whole-picture editing and GIMP for finer work. GIMP seems to be very hard to learn if you come from Photoshop, I feel lucky I didn't build any Adobe finger memory. GIMP is moving away from the 8 bits per color channel, and preview capabilities for plugins are good now. Lots of plugins available, but again, the user interface might be very in-your-face where PS presents them more approachable.

I really hate investing time and energy into a tool, only to have it taken away by random guys-with-ties deciding I'm no longer the target audience. I consider the steeper learning curves I go through an investment so that my tools cannot be taken away.

I also hear good things about Darktable, another editor mainly going for raw conversion. As the name suggests, compared to RawTherapee it is more oriented toward processing all your photos from a shoot in a session, not so much single-photo editing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search