The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The DSLR thread ! Condenser Microphones
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Thanks so much Mats for your great advice. I REALLY appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

With respect to the Aputure Amaran 672C- does this throw off enough light for your purposes? The 672W seems to be more powerful, but it sounds like the variable colour temperature is more important, right?

As for paying gigs.....give that a bit of time. I'm working on it.....

Again, I really appreciate your incredible insights.

Mike
Mike, anytime!

The 672C works well for many indoors shoots. I use it as a key light and as an accent light. It's main treat is it's flexible color balance and dimmer settings. It makles it easy to match tungsten lights, office flourescents and daylight, without resorting to using gels. If you prefer working with gels, the 672W gives double the output at 5500K. However at 4500K, the 672C is just as bright as it uses all LEDs.

It's not enough output when shooting an interview indoors and you have to match the outdoors, looking out a window on a bright sunny day. Larger panels, plasma or HMI lights are prefered here. Of course it also depends on the size of the room and what duty you give the fixture.

IMO it's too small for key lighting duties in an interview setting unless you use it in a softbox or through a diffusing grid.
Old 1st October 2016
Gotta revive this thread.

So- here's a video I did for a not-for-profit retirement residence here in town. Of course they have no money, but I did it for the practice.

I did everything- wrote the script (got some edits back), did the voiceover (could be a bit better), did the filming, and wrote/recorded the music. I used some jpegs that they provided to use to fill in the gaps- there's not much you can film when they're talking about utilities. I did a kind of Erik Satie song using Imperfect Samples Steinway Pro. The song repeats and I added some strings in the second half using the famed Pizzagogo preset on my D-50. The residents didn't want to be in the video, which makes sense. I removed my contact info and the house's contact info for this version.

I got feedback from the board- they thought the music was depressing, wanted to change the script a bit more, and wanted people in the video. I told the guy I was ok with changing the music, but not with changing the script and adding more filming. They were ok with that- it was a freebie after all. So I'm using the first three minutes from Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata (2nd movement?) and that'll be it. They want to do a short testimonial thing in about a month, and I'm ok with that too for more practice.

It was good practice doing voiceovers, and as I've volunteered with NPOs before, I was happy to help them. Went to a social thing there as well, and ran into a pretty young lady with huge.......lenses... that I'd been naked with a couple years ago. That was kinda weird. The place was hard to film too because there's often traffic jams in front of it. Ran into a couple interesting passersby too.

Hope it's ok.

Old 27th November 2016
I'm doing a short heavy metal video in two days, so I did a quick test film to make sure my gear is ok. I used a monochrome picture style (the band wants a really clean B&W film) at 1920 x 1080 and 30 fps. I miced the cab into my Tascam DR-70, and I used a cable to send the audio to my Canon T3i. The raw video looks fine and the audio is good and gritty.

I rendered the video/audio in Cyberlink Powerdirector 14, and I'm getting a pink line at the bottom of the video- see the attached screen capture. I know it's blurry and I'll do the video better than this, but the pink line is my big concern.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting the pink line?

Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
The 672C works well for many indoors shoots.
I got the 672C yesterday with the Black Friday sale.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR thread !-pinkline.jpg  
Old 28th November 2016
I used to get a green line (using Vegas Studio) and I couldn't figure it out; but it stopped so I assume it was a software bug or conflict with a plug-in. Or possibly, a mistake I made

I think there is sometimes a quick fix: tick 'Stretch to fill frame' when rendering.

Old 30th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I used to get a green line (using Vegas Studio) and I couldn't figure it out; but it stopped so I assume it was a software bug or conflict with a plug-in. Or possibly, a mistake I made

I think there is sometimes a quick fix: tick 'Stretch to fill frame' when rendering.

Yeah that's what I was facing. I reshot my stuff and didn't get the line. Weird.

Thanks Arthur!
Old 20th August 2017
My latest short film

This DSLR thread has been far too quiet, so I'm posting my latest short film I finished yesterday.

I made it using my kids' old Farm World toy set. It's a tad dark, and like most stuff I do is kind of weird. I decided I wanted to make a video with the toy set, and wrote a story around it. You might notice I used a quote from Cicero and one from Nietzsche. There's also a Wilhelm scream (with a delay) and I wanted to use a Nosferatu shadow but it proved too difficult.

I shot it mostly on one of those lawn carpets on my patio table in the backyard, using my Canon T3i and the 50mm F1.8 Plastic Fantastic lens. It really is a great lens for the price. There's a couple shots with the kit lens and one with a wide angle lens.

The vocal chain is AT4047 > SCA N72 > Distressor > Kush Electra > UAD stuff.
The piano is Imperfect Samples Braunschweig upright > Drawmer 1968 > UAD stuff.

I wrote the music to sound like something you'd hear in a silent movie theatre, and was inspired by the Sam Fox Moving Picture Music. The main theme is a ragtime piece inspired by the old Dill Pickles ragtime tune.

This took a couple months to make as I had to build/paint some models and had to do some sewing too. It was a lot of work!

Hope you like it. I'm submitting it to a local film festival this week- I won't be selected, but I get a free pass to the festival that way, which is always good.

Old 20th August 2017
Excellent. I laughed! The storyline brought everything together very well. The audio added a lot too; nice piano.

I like the challenge of zero budget and having to work with what's available to tell the story. Something I've realised lately is to work within the limitations of the equipment: finding the sweet spot of each lens and working in particular light.
Old 20th August 2017
Quote:
Excellent. I laughed! The storyline brought everything together very well. The audio added a lot too; nice piano.

I like the challenge of zero budget and having to work with what's available to tell the story. Something I've realised lately is to work within the limitations of the equipment: finding the sweet spot of each lens and working in particular light.

Thanks a lot Arthur. Glad you enjoyed it. Hoping you've been able to shoot more video of your own lately as well.

It was pretty much no-budget; I think I spent about $40 on it and I didn't take the price tag off the carpet and it's been sitting on my son's bed so I'm thinking of trying to return it, so that'd make the cost around $20.

You are totally right about working within one's limitations- it helps one get creative. Mind you, I'm looking at upgrading my kit lens to the Canon 17-55M F2.8 some time soon, and from what I've read it's a major upgrade.

Might have to sign up on Videoslutz.com at some point too......
Old 27th August 2017
Lately I've been treating the DSLR (550D) more as a camera than a video camera - a still frame with activity. I try to find the sweetspot of the lens within the light conditions and subject matter:
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

Shot half of this on GH4 with the Canon speedbooster and 18-35mm Sigma Lens.
There's a little gopro mixed in (due to shooting in a car!) and a Blackmagic Ursa for the band performance.
I was a little bummed the GH5 with it's internal 10bit video came out a few months too late to use. Oh well, next time!

Also, the forthcoming album by Calico is beautiful, you should check them out if you like this song.
Old 28th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
Shot half of this on GH4 with the Canon speedbooster and 18-35mm Sigma Lens.
There's a little gopro mixed in (due to shooting in a car!) and a Blackmagic Ursa for the band performance.
I was a little bummed the GH5 with it's internal 10bit video came out a few months too late to use. Oh well, next time!

Also, the forthcoming album by Calico is beautiful, you should check them out if you like this song.
Nice video! Really good syncing of the track and the lip syncing/playing on the video- that can be really hard.
Old 28th August 2017
Quote:
Lately I've been treating the DSLR (550D) more as a camera than a video camera - a still frame with activity. I try to find the sweetspot of the lens within the light conditions and subject matter:
Pretty cool video Arthur. LOTS of really interesting stuff going on.

How did you shoot the stills? You had the camera on constant shooting and pasted together very short parts of stills? And did you use a stabilizer of some sort?

The thing starting at 1:20 was pretty cool, when the colour (saturation?) starts to look like it's animated. When it got dark at 1:37 looked REALLY good too. You did it all with colour grading?
Old 28th August 2017
Thanks Mike!
I shot it as video (720 I think) then sped up (and slow-zoomed) the video in Vegas; I took a couple of zoomed-in 'B-roll' videos and faded these in. Lot's of colour-treatment, airbrush fx, and the Sony Mondrian plug-in for the boxy transitions. Most of it is happy accidents.

Cozmik Producer came to visit and whilst we talked gear and stuff I rested the 550D on the mountain floor (no tripod). Great day. Later we jammed together to make the music.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Head

I have been a keen photographer since I was about 11 years old, but after many years without taking photos I got into it in around 2004 I got into the digital age. I eventually became internationally published and took photos alongside music making and now seek to recover both after an extended break. I do enjoy shooting video though and that sort of scratches the creative itch. Though a couple of years ago I borrowed a DSLR from a friend for a trip to Portugal and then got into light painting while I had the camera. Considering a move to medium format digital in the near future.
Videos can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SoundsandImages

Some photos can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

<https://flic.kr/p/YjwP98
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsandImages View Post
I have been a keen photographer since I was about 11 years old, but after many years without taking photos I got into it in around 2004 I got into the digital age. I eventually became internationally published and took photos alongside music making and now seek to recover both after an extended break. I do enjoy shooting video though and that sort of scratches the creative itch. Though a couple of years ago I borrowed a DSLR from a friend for a trip to Portugal and then got into light painting while I had the camera. Considering a move to medium format digital in the near future.

I dig your long exposure shots. Are you using glow sticks to achieve that effect?
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
I dig your long exposure shots. Are you using glow sticks to achieve that effect?
Thanks! chemical glow sticks are not bright enough. I am not saying what I use but it needs to be a bright source of light for it to work properly. I like the light trails you get from traffic too. either static standing by a road or from within a moving car, you will need either a tripod or car mount and a cable release as you can lock the shutter open if the camera is set to "Bulb" mode though 5- 15 seconds at F5.6 should give ok results, though adjust to suit from there.
Old 27th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsandImages View Post

I looked at several of your stills and videos. Some really interesting stuff- those steam trains and amphibious vehicles are pretty cool too. I'd actually never heard of light painting before either. Really challenging I bet.

In the video of you walking to the photo store, what did you use for stabilization?

Thanks for the links.
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
I looked at several of your stills and videos. Some really interesting stuff- those steam trains and amphibious vehicles are pretty cool too. I'd actually never heard of light painting before either. Really challenging I bet.

In the video of you walking to the photo store, what did you use for stabilization?

Thanks for the links.
Thanks, the amphibious cars were on their international group meeting and they go all over the world. There are some nature type clips there too. I use the Sony FDR-AX53 which has a gimbal type stabilisation built in though you could also use the DJI Osmo. I also use the Rode VideoMicro microphone.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/h...rders/fdr-ax53

There are different types of light painting, you can create images within a photo or paint light onto your subject like a car or a plane etc. The challenge is thinking what you are going to draw and then remember where you have been with the lights once you turn one set off to move or change colours etc. Toy stores will be a good place for light sabres or anything with LEDs. (look up pixelstick).

Nearly all digital cameras will allow you to do a 30 second exposure, a cable release will allow you longer by locking the shutter open in "Bulb" mode. I used a torch on the bridge to create highlights behind the light painting which gives a sense of space.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I just got my first proper camera.
Canon EOS M50
EF-M 18-150mm lens
Ultra-Pro Circular Polariser Filter

I got it to make timelapse cloud videos and add my chill out music to it but after watching protographers I'm really into it I'm getting some hiking gear at the end of the week to get up the lancashire hills with my camera gear. Still need a tripod yet. If I'm still really into it in two years I will look at a full frame camera that can manage 4k at 50fps.

learning photography from these great youtube videos by Hannah Couzens
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
I just got my first proper camera.
Canon EOS M50
EF-M 18-150mm lens
Ultra-Pro Circular Polariser Filter

I got it to make timelapse cloud videos and add my chill out music to it but after watching protographers I'm really into it I'm getting some hiking gear at the end of the week to get up the lancashire hills with my camera gear. Still need a tripod yet. If I'm still really into it in two years I will look at a full frame camera that can manage 4k at 50fps.

learning photography from these great youtube videos by Hannah Couzens
Congratulations! You're going down a couple more very big rabbit holes. Lenses, lighting, exposure/aperture/ISO, filters, software......then there's composition too. That applies for both stills and video, which may also include location sound. Definitely a big rabbit hole!

Lots and lots of creative fun!

I really like these composition videos:

I definitely recommend you get a tripod- they're very handy, especially if you're going on a special hike and you want a longer exposure or if you're shooting video. I'd suggest a video tripod that you can use for both stills and video. The handle is much bigger, which is very helpful for panning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lol in two years when you step to a full frame it'll be 8K video and 120fps.
I have gone 100% micro four thirds and in my opinion there isn't much reason to go full frame unless you're a professional photographer. I shoot a lot of video and there hasn't been much reason to invest in a full frame camera. Anytime I need a "bigger" rig I hire a DP with an Alexa or an Ursa. But honestly with a speedbooster and a GH5s or something you're basically in full frame land already with more options and a more flexible kit. *mirrorless convert here, take my opinion with a grain of salt*
Old 4 weeks ago
I want a pentax Q Series

So tiny!

I had my hands on one once when they just came out. I took a few black and whits shots and fell immeadiatly in love!
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR thread !-s-l640.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
I got a Canon 80D in the spring. Months later Canon releases their first mirrorless. Oh well- I'll still do weird (and hopefully wonderful) stuff with it. I'm a Canon guy anyways.

Got an imdb account for a movie I was in too- my first speaking role in a film. I thought that was pretty cool.

My imdb account

I'm not allowed to share the link to the film. Awesome director of photography and locations though.

Last edited by MikeInOttawa; 4 weeks ago at 01:52 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I want a pentax Q Series

So tiny!

I had my hands on one once when they just came out. I took a few black and whits shots and fell immeadiatly in love!
The Sony A5100 is very good both for stills and video and very small; they should still be selling them off in Currys with a little kit zoom. Or you could get a body on eBay and the 'pancake' Sony 20/2.8 for a super-pocketable combo.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I'm still using my Nikon D90, with my 50mm/f1.4 and my 18-200/f3.5. I love both of those lenses. Don't have any reason to replace the body, so I'll stick with it until it stops working.

I also picked up a Fuji X100F just before I went on vacation this year, and it's an absolutely wonderful camera. Fuji really stepped into that gap where serious photographers might just want to carry an easy point-and-shoot, but still want creative control. I grab it all the time, and have been getting some wonderful portraits and candids. My wife likes it because it makes her skin look really great. I'm really not doing any tweaking to shots off the Fuj when I get them into Lightroomi, other than a crop.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I have a Sony A7RII mirrorless camera with a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 FE mount lens. It is truly a great setup for recording video as well as stills but you have to understand the nuances of the sensor interactions to get the most out of it. For instance, you should shoot in APS-C mode if you are taking 4k video because the low light performance improves dramatically, etc.. All in all having a 35mm is great for all types of photography, giving you the depth of field to really render close shots beautifully.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search