The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The £350,000 iPod dock so big you'll need a ladder to use it 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

The £350,000 iPod dock so big you'll need a ladder to use it

This must be the ultimate iPod dock...

Mark Prigg | Blogs | Evening Standard

Text from article linked above:

IT costs £350,000, is 11 feet tall and is billed as the ultimate accessory for the discerning iPod owner. The AeroDreamOne is so large, it requires owners to climb a ladder just to plug their gadget in.

Designed by French musician Jean Michel Jarre, it is believed to be the world’s most expensive iPod dock.

Its makers say it has “all the precision and grace of a new Formula 1 Grand Prix engine”,and claim it enhances the physical and emotional pleasure of listening to music.

However, they warn prospective purchasers the 10,000 watt speaker does require a large room - and, weighing in at 62 stone, strong floors.
As well as working with an iPhone, iPod and iPad, owners can plug in a turnable or any other gadget to play back music.

Jean Michel Jarre , who unveiled the speaker today at the IFA trade show in Berlin, claims he developed it in response to the emergence of small hifis and cheap headphones .

“Not that long ago, the Hi-Fi system was the centrepiece of our living rooms, but as music has become completely portable, even nomadic, we’ve become less demanding of the quality of our listening devices,” he said.

“Today we listen to music on small plastic speakers connected to computers and tiny earphones which use the vagaries of the human skull as their imperfect resonator.

“This goes against everything I believe in as a musician. AeroDreamOne is fantastic, but it’s no fantasy.”
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

How many pounds or Kilos is 62 stones ? I wish the brits would stop using that old dark ages weigh scale system go modern - imperial or metric !!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
How many pounds or Kilos is 62 stones ? I wish the brits would stop using that old dark ages weigh scale system go modern - imperial or metric !!
Stones is imperial... And about 394kg/868lbs.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Nothing else to do with their money I see. *sigh*
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

To need a ladder to place the ipad in the dock is crazy!!!! Why would you want to do that?

Can I see some rich old man, who can afford this nonsense climbing up a ladder to look at the ipad screen. Can I F***!!!#

Imagine having your friends around and you have had a bit too much to drink. "Oh, I want to climb this ladder and stick my ipad in the dock!!!" Up you go.....down you go..... A&E for you!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Ehm ??

...why does the dock bit have to be on top

J heh
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryblennsasense View Post
Nothing else to do with their money I see. *sigh*
no more to add

400 000 € to climb a ladder

I never been a fan of JM Jarre but here I find him completely ridiculous
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

incredible. why couldn't he just feed a few families for a couple of years?
Hell, even using it on hookers and coke seems more sensible....

keep moving, nothing to see here.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
Hell, even using it on hookers and coke seems more sensible....
You just about made my morning coffee exit out of my nostrils. Thanks for my morning laugh heh
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
You just about made my morning coffee exit out of my nostrils. Thanks for my morning laugh heh
Happy to oblige!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
Hell, even using it on hookers and coke seems more sensible.....
Quality!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha!!!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
To need a ladder to place the ipad in the dock is crazy!!!! Why would you want to do that?
...to p**s off the one bloke amongst your mates who ALWAYS feels obliged to mess with your MP3 player's playlist!

If the ladder's there, and he's making his way up, swipe it from under his feet.
If the ladder ain't there, the MP3 player remains untouched, and the bones of the bloke in question remain unbroken, unlike when the ladder's there!

Otherwise, there's no point to this product, unless you like Phillipe Starck and whatever made the 80's look crap...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

if you have enough money for that thing you have enough money to send someone up the ladder for you dont you think?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
if you have enough money for that thing you have enough money to send someone up the ladder for you dont you think?
Hell no! I do my own playlists...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

GOSH!!!!! why would I spend over 50 eoruos on a mp3 device. mp3!!! and its not even wireless so i walk around the room with my iphone. when i get a call i have to climb AGAIN!! to only recieve call. i respect people who are gonna get this beast though.lol.
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

53,000 lb pounds? Yeah right!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Hi

And I wish the USA would come out of the dark ages and join the rest of the world with metric dimensions.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

I wish I had 8 of Geoff's preamps appear in my rack in the morning!
Old 3rd November 2011
being someone who will never be in a position to buy this (i dont like ipods) i can say it looks badass and its great to have to climb a ladder to plug it in! why wouldnt you want to do that?
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Head

All that to play a crappy mp3?
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

And I wish the USA would come out of the dark ages and join the rest of the world with metric dimensions.
It's probably about time we got back to the Mayan calendar as well. heh
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
It's probably about time we got back to the Mayan calendar as well. heh
Hi

What I found amusing was that all my life, even school days in the 1950's, I was using verniers and micrometers that measured in decimal thousands of an inch.

I looked at a venier caliper recently in the USA and the damn thing measured in 1/128th's of an inch!

Yea Gods... what the Heck was wrong with hundreds and thousand's of an inch?

In the 21st century?

heh
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea Gods... what the Heck was wrong with hundreds and thousand's of an inch?

In the 21st century?

heh
No argument from me, though I suspect we'll just get an iphone app for that.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
No argument from me, though I suspect we'll just get an iphone app for that.
Hi

My iPhone's Appzilla 2 program has a neat ruler and spirit level applications!

heh
Old 4th November 2011
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

Right Said Fred was too sexy for his shirt...we're too sexy for the metric system. Sorry, Geoff.
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
Right Said Fred was too sexy for his shirt...we're too sexy for the metric system. Sorry, Geoff.
Hi TRA

Nah! Too lazy to bring about improvements more like! heh

Two examples... and green issues too...

1. My Grandparent's home and my parent's home had instantaneous water heaters (made by Ascot I think)... they only draw gas (or electricity) when hot water is needed... they don't waste energy heating a big water tank 24 hours a day... these are only just being introduced in the USA in recent years...

2. Even when I worked at Neve I had a combined Washer/Tumble dryer... you could load it up in the morning and everything would be washed and dried in the evening when you got home. Also, the dryer did not use a vent as it disposed of the steam by condensing it and pumping it out with the water from the dryer.... these are not available in the USA even now....

And we didn't use flappers in our toilets!

heh
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Guru

JMJ must be smoking some AMAZING weed.....
Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post

Can I see some rich old man, who can afford this nonsense climbing up a ladder to look at the ipad screen. Can I F***!!!#
It is aimed at rich, very rich men, and the plan is to use pantie-less maids, to go up and down in turns, to change songs...

Expensive fantasy.

Wait for the ad...

Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

for that much, the ipod should have it's own elevator.
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Head

I don't actually own an iphone so I wonder if one comes with it.
The last thing I would want to do is fork out for this and then find I out I couldn't actually use it until I had splashed out some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Michel Jarre
Jean Michel Jarre , who unveiled the speaker today at the IFA trade show in Berlin, claims he developed it in response to the emergence of small hifis and cheap headphones .
“Not that long ago, the Hi-Fi system was the centrepiece of our living rooms, but as music has become completely portable, even nomadic, we’ve become less demanding of the quality of our listening devices,” he said.
“Today we listen to music on small plastic speakers connected to computers and tiny earphones which use the vagaries of the human skull as their imperfect resonator.
“This goes against everything I believe in as a musician. AeroDreamOne is fantastic, but it’s no fantasy.”
Well, Jean. I'm pretty sure this will help in bringing the Hi-Fi back into the homes of the ordinary person.
Kudos to you.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search