The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WHat Is the Best Alternative to the iPod Touch 4? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

WHat Is the Best Alternative to the iPod Touch 4?

Here's my situation, gang:

My 80 gig iPod Classic is dying. I need another music player with fairly large capacity.

Yes, I could get a new 160 gig iPod Classic to replace it.

But I could also take advantage of this purchase to get a device that not only plays mp3s, but also plays games, takes photos, loads apps, and allows me to check the internet from wi-fi locations.

So I dive into the 64 gig iPod Touch 4 to discover that while it has two cameras (front and back), it is a .7 megapixel camera and there are many users who seem to absolutely hate that (my old cel phone from7 years ago had a 2 megapixel camera, and most competing devices today have 4 or 5.

But I do like the idea of walking around NAMM, snapping a photo and uploading it to my site on the spot.

But I really don't like how skinny they made this version--difficult to handle with my largish hands. Plus it's the most expensive thing out there.

I tried to do some comparisons on the web, but it's a bit overwhelming--the brands, the OS's, the terminology used to describe basically the same functions. I've stayed blissfully unaware of the war of the toys till now.

I did learn that Zune has a great mp3 player, but it won't play with Apple so that's out--all my computers are Macs.

I don't need a phone, because the calling plans from Mexico are absurd.

So...any suggestions for their competitors? My requirements:

Has to work with Macs
Has to have about 64 gigs of storage for mp3s and movies
Has to have a decent camera
Would like it to shoot video
Has to have Wi Fi
Would like it to cost less than the Touch4 ($399)

Thanks.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzooo View Post
Here's my situation, gang:

My 80 gig iPod Classic is dying. I need another music player with fairly large capacity.

Yes, I could get a new 160 gig iPod Classic to replace it.

But I could also take advantage of this purchase to get a device that not only plays mp3s, but also plays games, takes photos, loads apps, and allows me to check the internet from wi-fi locations.

So I dive into the 64 gig iPod Touch 4 to discover that while it has two cameras (front and back), it is a .7 megapixel camera and there are many users who seem to absolutely hate that (my old cel phone from7 years ago had a 2 megapixel camera, and most competing devices today have 4 or 5.

But I do like the idea of walking around NAMM, snapping a photo and uploading it to my site on the spot.

But I really don't like how skinny they made this version--difficult to handle with my largish hands. Plus it's the most expensive thing out there.

I tried to do some comparisons on the web, but it's a bit overwhelming--the brands, the OS's, the terminology used to describe basically the same functions. I've stayed blissfully unaware of the war of the toys till now.

I did learn that Zune has a great mp3 player, but it won't play with Apple so that's out--all my computers are Macs.

I don't need a phone, because the calling plans from Mexico are absurd.

So...any suggestions for their competitors? My requirements:

Has to work with Macs
Has to have about 64 gigs of storage for mp3s and movies
Has to have a decent camera
Would like it to shoot video
Has to have Wi Fi
Would like it to cost less than the Touch4 ($399)

Thanks.
The megapixel count doesn't really mean too much unless you are making enormous prints from what you snapped. Compare your cellphone photo to the iPod. I'm willing to bet that the iPod has a better picture. But that is beside the point. But I don't know of any other devices that work on a Mac. The Zunes are great but not Mac compatible afaik.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestEyes View Post
The megapixel count doesn't really mean too much unless you are making enormous prints from what you snapped. Compare your cellphone photo to the iPod. I'm willing to bet that the iPod has a better picture. But that is beside the point. But I don't know of any other devices that work on a Mac. The Zunes are great but not Mac compatible afaik.
No the camera in the 4g really does blow. You're almost better off pulling a still out of the HD video it can take. Actually to be fair I have gotten a few nice stills out of mine with the camera depending on lighting conditions.

For the skinniness factor, some of the cases you can get for them can really add alot of thickness to them, especially some of the hard shell ones or the leather "folio" type ones.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks, guys--I really had no idea how far out in front of the pack in terms of features Apple was with this product--nothing seems to come close yet. Maybe something will be revealed at CES this week.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzooo View Post
Thanks, guys--I really had no idea how far out in front of the pack in terms of features Apple was with this product--nothing seems to come close yet. Maybe something will be revealed at CES this week.
Yes, it's the only Apple product I own and will probably ever own... it has brought me over to "the dark side" (wink)... and this Christmas I also brought the rest of my family over to the dark side as well... great product!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search