The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Portable Hi Res audio player / streaming devices
Old 26th November 2018
Portable Hi Res audio player / streaming devices

As Hi Res audio on mobile phones is going slowly I think I might pick up a dedicated device.

Pioneer XDP-100R-K High Resolution Digital Audio Player - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Audio & HiFi

Or perhaps a Fiio M9

The deal breaker for me is the ability to stream from my Qobuz Sublime+ account and download / store files for offline listening

Anyone have one of these type of gadgets?
Old 27th November 2018
I have bought a

M9 hi res file player

And some Sony LDAC capable headphones.

Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones | WH-1000XM3 | Sony UK

The idea is to have hi res streaming (within wifi range)

And playback via Sony's LDAC Bluetooth system which is said to be the best chance of getting the most of 96k 24 bit file playback.
Old 25th December 2018
So the Sony headphones had way too much bass.

After auditioning about 12 sets of headphones I decided to stick with the pair I already use for walking around and commuting / flights.

Bose QC 20

But to give more hands free flexibility and an eq I added a EarStudio ES100 which recives Bluetooth LDAC codec from the FiiO M9

From what I understand LDAC is the best Bluetooth codec available right now and it preserves most of the quality of the 96k 24bit files I want to play.

The eq on the SE100 is very good.
Old 25th December 2018
To date iPhones don't handle hi res files well

But the LGV30 phone running Android does.

If you are keen on hi res check it out.
Old 2nd February 2019
I have moved on to Etymotic ER4-XR in ear monitors.
Old 2nd February 2019
Some interesting info on Sony's LDAC tech as well as various aptX implementations offering 'higher quality' audio via Bluetooth...

What you need to know about Sony's LDAC

Once one looks at how LDAC offers ability to transmit 24/96 files, the choice of loading up a phone or portable with huge 24/96 files loses at least some of its aura, seems to me -- at least if the output path will always be through BT/LDAC.
Old 4th February 2019
Thanks, that's a great article..

"Sony is keeping its LDAC secret sauce closely under wraps, but to properly put these numbers into context we need to know how the technology works on a lower level. So far, we can only say that, at it’s best, LDAC transmits a lot more data than other Bluetooth codecs."

I must say I really enjoy LDAC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search