The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone build a usb compressor?
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Nut

Can anyone build a usb compressor?

Ok I have taken my music hat off for now and put on my inventor hat.

Is there anyone here who could build a fairly cheap (cheaper the better frankly, not for pro audio use) USB compressor without violating any patents? Threshold is the only knob truly necessary altho fast slow attack release wouldn't hurt.

If so please PM me to hear about this "once in a lifetime exciting business opportunity".

Too obvious there has to be a reason it hasn't been done but if it did everyone would have one.

*willing to pay for work and prototype. As well cut you in at ground floor level equity.
Old 13th August 2018
mrc
Gear Addict

Are you talking about a compressor that can be controlled digitally from your daw and provide total recall or a compressor that uses usb to pass audio?
The first type has been done, take a look at bettermaker.
I m not aware of any analog compressor that uses usb for passing audio, and there s a good reason for that. Such a compressor will have to incorporate an audio interface and that means the user will have to use his regular soundcard plus the soundcard within the compressor. That s a problem because daw s will let you select just one.
Having said that, the build isn t going to be cheap, especially the protorype.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

And unusable on windows systems where you cannot aggregate multiple sound cards
Old 14th August 2018
Sounds like a...weird idea?

What *exactly* do you want to compress? A digital signal? Analog signal? The latter implies converters of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Also this.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe stick with the music hat?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Is mac good at this? Imagine adding another 16 channels for cheap0 would be so cool.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Is mac good at this? Imagine adding another 16 channels for cheap0 would be so cool.
Not a mac guy, but my understanding is that, yes, a mac can take multiple devices and utilize all of them simultaneously...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search