The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for speaker with some features (e.g. RCA input)
Old 4th July 2018
Here for the gear

Looking for speaker with some features (e.g. RCA input)

I'm looking for a good quality chromecast speaker (bluetooth would also be ok).

Most of the models I see in the store don't have RCA input, which I really want as I want to connect my digital piano/computer/audio interface to it. Ideally there would even be a big jack input, but I am not getting my hopes up on that.

The speaker should also have an equalizer so I can adjust the sound quality (some appear to be overly bassy).

For the rest, a usb input would be excellent.

Any suggestions?

(oh, and my girlfriend wants it to look pretty...)
Old 6th July 2018
I'm not knowledgeable of the current choices in that product category but do keep in mind that while Chromecast can send mp3's, CD quality music, etc, Bluetooth was designed for mobile phones and not hi fi, so it incorporates an automatic lossy data compression scheme. It can sound OK if you're starting out with lossless CD-quality files -- but many folks have mostly mp3s or other lossy music files. When BT runs those through another lossy compression layer, the sound is degraded even more. (Some suggest that the damage is not so much 'additive' as 'multiplicative' -- ie, it really grinds the crap out of the fidelity. )

With regard to connectors, there are decent interconnects for matching almost any output to almost any input. (see below) Buy the right powered speaker system (one with digital inputs, for instance) and a Chromecast audio puck can send high quality, uncompressed audio through your home wi fi network. But if you don't need to distribute the signal to remote speakers from your desktop computer or TV, a good-old fashioned (and cheap) analog signal cable should work fine.

(If you're going to be feeding your speakers from a mobile phone or tablet that's got a conventional headphone output, you can also try that. It may well be better -- if much less convenient -- than a Bluetooth connection. Or it may be that your phone/tab's analog output circuits are less than ideal, in which case, you never know.)

Musician's Friend

BTW... these can come in handy if you have to deal 1/8"/3.5mm phone jacks much...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search