The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Assistance with TosLink optical audio out
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Question Assistance with TosLink optical audio out

from my Samsung TV thru --> Apple TV 3 --> Mac Pro --> analog Bose sound speakers ?

My signal flow is probably wrong as described which is why I'm here. Would like to hear audio stream from Samsung tv speaker thru my better Bose (Companion) speakers using a single optical cable. The TV has one optical OUT, the Apple TV 3 has one optical connection, my MacPro has two optical connections (IN and OUT) and the Bose ONLY audio IN is RCA 3.5 analog.

Is there a way of doing what I'm trying to do, i.e., boosting my sound from the TV stuff I stream. I am locked into iTunes with the Apple TV.

- squirrel

Last edited by flying_squirrel; 1 week ago at 02:06 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you're streaming your TV content from your Apple TV, then it should simply be Apple TV ( optical output) -->MacPro (Optical Input)-->MacPro (analog output)-->Bose (analog input ).

Hopefully your amplified Bose speakers have a remote control ? My config is Apple TV into the optical input of an Audio/Tv amplifier ( with a remote control), with regular speakers connected.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Hmmm... if the tv has one optical out and the apple tv has one optical out and the macbook pro has 1 optical in, you may have to choose between the tv and apple tv to route the speakers via the macbook analog out. UNLESS the TV has an optical in aswell. In this case you could run the optical OU from the apple tv to the optical IN of the tv and then run the tv optical OUT into the macbook optical in and the macbook analog out to the bose. You could also do this the other way and run everything into the TV and run the TV into the Bose
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks I thought so too, and this is the way it is currently connected - no success. There's a pull-down from the top of the iTunes window which enables you to check either 'computer' , 'Apple TV' or both. The MacPro computer RCA audio OUT goes to Bose audio IN. I thought the computer would solve any 'plug & play' problems on its own and play the audio stream? Tried it ev'ry which way from here to El Paso and can't get this dadgum audio signal.

- squirrel
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
If you're streaming your TV content from your Apple TV, then it should simply be Apple TV ( optical output) -->MacPro (Optical Input)-->MacPro (analog output)-->Bose (analog input ).

Hopefully your amplified Bose speakers have a remote control ? My config is Apple TV into the optical input of an Audio/Tv amplifier ( with a remote control), with regular speakers connected.
The TV has only one optical OUT. Sends the signal to the Apple TV device.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Um, isn't the Apple TV already connected to the Samsung TV via HDMI? Connecting the Samsung optical into the Apple TV doesn't make sense.

This is a normal setup: Apple TV HDMI > Samsung analog > Bose

You have multiple sources and one destination. This is what receivers/switchers are for.

You could also use the Samsung's IO as the switcher. I'm sure it has more than one input and output.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search