The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple admits to slowing old phones Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 21st December 2017
Apple admits to slowing old phones

Curious as to your reactions to Apple getting caught slowing their old phones through ios. They programmed it so that the cpu slows, down to half capacity in one test, when your battery gets older. They didn't tell anyone. I highly suspected this when my 4s became practically unuseable after one of the updates.

Apple admits slowing older iPhones because of ageing batteries | Technology | The Guardian

Last edited by Reverb; 21st December 2017 at 03:00 PM..
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Apple Admits To Throttling iPhones

Wonder if it applies to other devices. Does it alter your opinion of the company? I'd be losing sleep if I owned a dated Apple device. It'd drive me nuts to think I paid all that money for something that might not be what I'd thought it was. If I had championed the company through countless Mac vs PC threads I'd feel betrayed. If they'd do it to the iPhone to force upgrades what other lengths would they go to?
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear
The throttling was a solution for older iPhones shutting down when battery life got below 40%. Not the greatest solution but many people are happy with their computers for music making. I doubt their doing it with their laptop computers but I wouldn't put it past them as I had a bad experience with them a long time ago that led me to building my own PC's for music and I haven't looked back. Here's a link to the throttling issue for those interested.

Apple Admits That It's Slowing Down Older iPhones
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

can we delete this out of here?
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wade View Post
Does it alter your opinion of the company?
Not at all. It's just one more confirmation that the company is a giant pile of ****.
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Guru

from what I picked up over time concerning anything with rechargeable batteries.

a good practice is, that when you first get anything which uses them,
first make sure it's fully charged before you use it.
then use it till the battery is depleted. then do that four more times.
that might be the best practice to place the battery in its optimal condition.

inventory with batteries are often left in a non full % charge state.
if you start using it in that lower state, the system can make assumptions
about what a full charge state is. so you make sure it's fully charged first
then fully deplete it. this is often what the advice is pertaining to.

I'm doing this at the moment to a speaker which has an internal battery system.
Old 21st December 2017
I wait for the new MacOS that will throttle MacPros, MacBooks, iMacs, etc. that are older than 2-3 years. So "we" are forced to get the new hardware every couple years.

MONEY MAKING!
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Appears at least one Mod is feeling the sting of being a Mac user.
Old 21st December 2017
It seems pretty clear that the reason (it at least one reason) is to handle the battery related problems mentioned above. Which in my book is not a reason to change my opinion of the company.

Reference: Geekbench and Reddit think they’ve cracked why iPhones get slower over time [Updated] | Ars Technica
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I doubt their doing it with their laptop computers...
Not deliberately. But what does happen on a Macbook with a high track count is that the strain on the system will make the battery get a tad warmer than normal. The battery, unfortunately, sits right under the trackpad. And when the battery gets warm it swells up and the trackpad won't work right. Not a deal breaker, you can always get an outboard keyboard and trackball, but not ideal.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Reminds me of the VW diesel scandal. Why don't they just be honest?

My Dell laptop is getting on in years, and every once in a while it will pop up a message saying in battery health that:

"You may begin to notice reduced operating time because your long-term battery life is decreasing. A normal characteristic of a rechargeable battery is that its operating duration decreases over time. etc."

That is something I can deal with, but to slow my computer down without telling me????

My Android cellphone pops a message when the battery level gets down to 15% asking me if I want to go into "Battery Saver Mode" and at that point things slow down and the screen background changes from black to red letting me know I am in low power mode, but it lets me know, it gave me the option of doing it or not, and it reminds me that it is in battery saver mode.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post

My Android cellphone pops a message when the battery level gets down to 15% asking me if I want to go into "Battery Saver Mode" and at that point things slow down and the screen background changes from black to red letting me know I am in low power mode, but it lets me know, it gave me the option of doing it or not, and it reminds me that it is in battery saver mode.
iPhones already have a Battery Saving Mode for quite some time now as well , that will warn you beforehand, . It works pretty much the same way, shuts down unessential background apps, only gets your mail if you launch the app, lowers the backlight, etc.. It shows up on the screen and it tells you exactly what it will be doing.

This is a totally different issue. It's a way for Apple to extract more life from older batteries. Devices shut down under CPU peaks because older batteries can't deliver. Batteries degrade with time . ALL of them, with no exceptions . It's the current limits of battery technology.

There's no workaround to it, except to change the battery after 500 full charges ( the limits of current iPhone batteries after which they start losing full capacity) which you can do for 80$ at an Apple Store. Or buy a new iPhone.

The real thing Apple is faulty about is not informing users beforehand about why is this happening, so that they can choose the option of paying to install a new battery if they wish to, or stick with the one they have and accept the slowdowns as a compromise to avoid sudden shutdowns.

The way this has been twisted in the media to make it "Oh look, they slow down older iPhones to sell you new ones !" is both so dumb and so predictable, because most people are so predictably dumb.
Old 22nd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
i

The way this has been twisted to make it "Oh look, they slow down older iPhones to sell you new ones !" is both so dumb and so predictable, because most people are predictably dumb.
I think a lot of people would have chosen the option of spending 70$ to replace a battery to get a few extra years out of their phones than to buy a new phone for $800.00 +.

What is your explanation - they just forgot to tell people and it never occurred to them that people with a phone slowed down to half speed would want to replace them? Their main concern is selling phones on a cycle - and the battery issue guaranteed that people would get frustrated and replace the phone on the idea that it just wasn't up to speed anymore. We all know the batteries have a life cycle, so by tying in the slow down to the battery, it guarantees phones lose their luster and snappiness.

I personally think it's absurd to think that this was merely an oversight or some sort of benefit to people. Had they done nothing, people would have noticed their batteries dying off and at least understood that the battery was the issue - either choosing to replace them or get a new phone.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Curious as to your reactions to Apple getting caught slowing their old phones through ios.
They're not getting "caught", they already said they were doing that in...FEBRUARY 2017
Apple says iOS 10.2.1 has reduced unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues by 80% | TechCrunch

Quote:
I think a lot of people would have chosen the option of spending 70$ to replace a battery to get a few extra years out of their phones than to buy a new phone for $800.00 +.
How is that news ? Since the first iPhone released in 2007, that's always how it worked. If you go to Apple complaining about your iPhone shutting unexpectedly , not fully charging to 100% ( all issues related to batteries ), they will either replace the battery for free if it's under waranty, or for a fee if it's not under waranty.

Even since the iOS 11 release, when people went to the Apple Store and complain about their old phones slowing down, that what you would get offered : pay 80$ to get your battery changed, or buy a new phone.

Quote:
I personally think it's absurd to think that this was merely an oversight or some sort of benefit to people. Had they done nothing, people would have noticed their batteries dying off and at least understood that the battery was the issue - either choosing to replace them or get a new phone.
It IS a benefit. My iPhone 6 used to shutdown unexpectedly quite a few times since the beginning of this year, especially under very cold wheather. This was very annoying when I just ordered a Uber during a very cold day, then the iphone shutdown and I missed the call from the driver who was looking for me. I already knew it was an aging battery issue . I didn't care about changing the battery because the shutdowns didn't occur too frequently and I was waiting to see what the new iPhone models would offer.
Since iOS 11, not a single shutdown, but slow as hell sometimes, yes. And the slowdown only occurs if your battery is very worn down ( mine is way way over the 500 cycles, more like 1500 cycles+ ), because it throttling CPU speed when it's reaching a peak ( which is why the iphone will feel normal at times and slow at others.)

Apple Forums were plenty with people complaining about old iphones shutting down unexpectedly, and having to pay for a fresh battery. Now that Apple releases an update that will allow them to extract some additional time from their old iPhone without changing the battery, people are complaining about why it's not telling them to pay for a new battery ....

Quote:
Last year, Apple also added a notification for the user when the battery gets to a really rough state, but it’s pretty conservative about that, so it will likely not trigger until well after iOS feels it should start capping the max power draw from batteries. Just as an FYI.
Apple addresses why people are saying their iPhones with older batteries are running ‘slower’ | TechCrunch

And you obviously missed the part of my post where I said very clearly :
Quote:
The real thing Apple is faulty about is not informing users beforehand about why is this happening, so that they can choose the option of paying to install a new battery if they wish to, or stick with the one they have and accept the slowdowns as a compromise to avoid sudden shutdowns.
Much ado about nothing. It's just the annual and predictable AppleGate that the media needs every year.
There are many justified complaints( and far more scandalous, in my opinion) about Apple, but this fabricated non-issue isn't one of them.

Last edited by spaceman; 22nd December 2017 at 08:30 PM..
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
I wait for the new MacOS that will throttle MacPros, MacBooks, iMacs, etc. that are older than 2-3 years. So "we" are forced to get the new hardware every couple years.

MONEY MAKING!

Nope. It has always been indicated in its service page that your battery will lose its original capacity after x amount of charges, and that you should replace it afterwards if you want optimum performance.

Quote:
iPhone Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

Apple Watch Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty (for Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport) and two-year warranty (for Apple Watch Edition) include service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service. Prices and terms may vary.

iPad Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $99, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

iPod Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $49 (iPod shuffle), $59 (iPod nano and iPod classic), and $79 (iPod touch), plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

MacBook Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. Apple offers a battery replacement service for all MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro notebooks with built-in batteries.
Batteries - Service and Recycling - Apple
Old 22nd December 2017
Quote:
Nope. It has always been indicated in its service page that your battery will lose its original capacity after x amount of charges, and that you should replace it afterwards if you want optimum performance.

Your justifications don't make any sense - they got caught secretly slowing down their phones - it's a scandal. I would also point out that people have been anecdotally accusing them of this for years and they never fessed up and actually denied that they were doing it, when they knew the ENTIRE time that they were slowing down the CPUs ! It can be fixed and it will pass, but blindly supporting them is absurd here. It's not right - it's not acceptable behavior - there is nothing good about it. If it was legit it would not have been hidden.

How much profit do you think they unjustly obtained from their customers due to increased sales from people replacing perfectly good phones ?

Volkswagen had their moment, Apple is having theirs. Hopefully the next company won't try the same stunts due to blowback. We don't want exploding batteries and we don't companies secretly bricking our phones for increased sales. This is pretty straightforward stuff, and to defend it is really questionable.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your justifications don't make any sense - they got caught secretly slowing down their phones - it's a scandal. I would also point out that people have been anecdotally accusing them of this for years and they never fessed up and actually denied that they were doing it, when they knew the ENTIRE time that they were slowing down the CPUs ! It can be fixed and it will pass, but blindly supporting them is absurd here. It's not right - it's not acceptable behavior - there is nothing good about it. If it was legit it would not have been hidden.
What is "secret" about it ? How is solving something people were complaining about a "scandal" ? You are making no sense whatsoever. The only conspiration is in your head.
This is from as early as FEBRUARY 2017. READ IT. Don't skip the parts that don't fit the narrative you absolutely want to believe.

Quote:
Over the past couple of iPhone versions users have complained of “unexpected” shutdowns of their devices. Some iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus and 6s Plus devices could basically go dark unexpectedly, forcing a user to have to plug them into an outlet to get them to power back on.

Apple has been working on this very annoying bug and it says it has come up with a fix of sorts that should mitigate the problem on a majority of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s devices. The fix is actually already on your iPhone if you have installed iOS 10.2.1 — something that around 50 percent of iOS users have already done. After letting the fix simmer on customer devices, Apple now has statistics to share on how it has improved the issue, citing 80 percent reduction on iPhone 6s and 70 percent reduction on iPhone 6 devices.

Currently, iPhone 7 devices are not impacted by this issue. It’s also important to note that there was a similar but different issue that had the same unexpected shutdown symptoms late last year that resulted in a battery recall of some devices. These are not the same issue or fix.

Here is the comment they provided to TechCrunch today:

With iOS 10.2.1, Apple made improvements to reduce occurrences of unexpected shutdowns that a small number of users were experiencing with their iPhone. iOS 10.2.1 already has over 50% of active iOS devices upgraded and the diagnostic data we’ve received from upgraders shows that for this small percentage of users experiencing the issue, we’re seeing a more than 80% reduction in iPhone 6s and over 70% reduction on iPhone 6 of devices unexpectedly shutting down.

We also added the ability for the phone to restart without needing to connect to power, if a user still encounters an unexpected shutdown. It is important to note that these unexpected shutdowns are not a safety issue, but we understand it can be an inconvenience and wanted to fix the issue as quickly as possible. If a customer has any issues with their device they can contact AppleCare.

As far as I’m able to understand what happened here, Apple found that sudden spikes of activity to the maximum power draw could cause older batteries, which had some mileage on them, to deliver power in an uneven manner, which would cause an emergency shutdown of the devices. Brand new batteries would not be affected, but as most phone batteries run through charge cycles they get less effective (this is a well-known byproduct of lithium-ion technology and one reason everyone wants to get rid of it as soon as someone figures out something better) and more susceptible to these kinds of triggering spikes.

Whatever tweaks Apple made to its power management system have enabled them to reduce the shutdowns heavily — but not eliminate them entirely. For those cases where a device still shuts down, folks will be able to restart without having to plug it in on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus devices

It’s also my understanding that there is a fix in on the newer beta versions of iOS that should allow the auto-restart in iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6 models, as well.

At some point a battery will be so worn out that it will need to be replaced, as Apple outlines on its site. A new “your battery needs service” message is also coming to the battery info screen inside Settings on iOS 10.2.1 over the next few days. This will only show up for batteries that Apple feels need it — which will add a bit more transparency to people wondering when Apple considers the battery worn down enough to get swapped out. Though the exact metrics by which it decides that a battery has reached end-of-life are still opaque, Apple does give some hints on its own page about maximum charges and lifetime.

While the issue has not been killed off entirely, this should provide some sort of relief for users who were annoyed by the problem.
Apple says iOS 10.2.1 has reduced unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues by 80% | TechCrunch

This is from the guy who spoke about it in the first place ( and if you know more than him about this matter, please do share your knowledge ) :
Quote:
My theory is that the iPhone 6 and up were simply designed as too power hungry to work on lower voltages steadily. You might remember that at the time they came out, iPhones (single core scores anyway) have been higher than any other Android phone on the market, while Android phones usually had higher multi core scores due to having more cores. Perhaps it draws less power to use multiple cores than it does to use a few strong cores at once? Something else I’ve noticed with the Android devices I’ve owned, is as the battery gets older, it doesn’t just shut off, it usually just drains the battery very quickly instead. Perhaps this is down to how the systems are designed to draw power from the battery? I’m basing these mostly off of the processors, not other things such as screen size, brightness, etc. because the iPhone SE and 5S share the same screen, similar battery, and most of the rest of the internals are the same, and the SE is affected while the 5S is not.
Your comments are how we figure this out, the more information we get, the clearer picture we have.
Edit: Apparently some android phones are affected by random shutdowns too, as detailed in the comments here. This means it’s just getting to a point that phones are becoming too fast and power hungry for their own good, it seems. More power efficiency needs to be addressed, it seems.
Edit 2: I seem to have found the conclusion as to why this happens. So as batteries age, they end up causing more resistance as the old cells die. This, in turn, makes it so when more current is drawn, the voltage drops during that time, meaning the battery can't support the power draw, and it ends up having the phone shut down. This happens in all devices when the battery is sufficiently low, though in lower power devices, it is less prominent, and needs more wear on the battery before this happens. You can see this in things such as old laptops with worn batteries that only work when plugged in, and the instant power is unplugged, the laptop shuts down, because the battery can't support the power draw. All in all, this means that every device will be affected at some point, and Apple reduced the power draw in order to compensate for the aging batteries. That said, the amount of time before it will happen to a device depends entirely on how old the battery is, how much wear it has, how much power the device draws, etc.
Discussion for Why Apple Slows Down iPhones with Old Batteries : iphone

Now , he asks Apple directly, and Apple answers him very clearly, and even tells him that they actually plan to EXTEND this to newer phones .
Quote:
Here’s a statement that Apple provided when I inquired about the power profile that people were seeing when testing iPhones with older batteries:

Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future
How is this "secret scandal" ? . This is only a scandal in the eyes of trash media, Fox news, TMZ, The Sun , and the rapacious vulture culture of american lawyers that make a living by encouraging people to sue everyone for everything, as a way of making a living, and the herds lining up to get their check from the lawsuit, and who need to believe in a secret scandal.

No reasonable or rational person have called this a" secret scandal". To compare this to VW is just ridiculous.

The real "scandals" are the overpriced and underpowered recent Macbook Pros, the gimicky Touch bar, the abandoned MacPros, the incomprehensibly amateurish Admin bug in High Sierra ( now corrected), etc ..
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

I dont know about america, but imcan guarantee you apple will be paying serious money in europe as a result of this totally dishonest and non-transparent scam. Would have been SO easy to notify the users of this.

Im a happy apple user...but this is going to cost them some coin, im happy it is, and they deserve it.

Should improve transparency.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
I dont know about america, but imcan guarantee you apple will be paying serious money in europe as a result of this totally dishonest and non-transparent scam. Would have been SO easy to notify the users of this.

Im a happy apple user...but this is going to cost them some coin, im happy it is, and they deserve it.

Should improve transparency.
I guess you missed that giant post just above you.
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Nope, read the whole tjing. the journalism in the post above will not be decisive in the european courts. Lets wait and watch the fun..
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, read the whole tjing. the journalism in the post above will not be decisive in the european courts. Lets wait and watch the fun..
Do you imply that european courts are less rational than american ones ? I think it's quite the opposite by a large margin. This won't even make any sense to a european court ( but may win some large money in America to the professional suers )

- People complain that old iphones shut down because of old batteries giving up under CPU pressure, and don't want to pay for a new battery.
- Apple solves problem by slowing down CPU pressure to avoid old batteries shutting down for those not wanting to pay for a new battery, and explains how it does it when asked, as early as February 2017 .
- People sue because Apple explained how it solved the issue and saved them money. They wanted Apple not to tell them, and to force them to buy a new battery.

Yeah, sounds very winable in Europe........

Last edited by spaceman; 22nd December 2017 at 11:28 PM..
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Sorry i dont have time fot an extended conversation on this so we will just wait and see, but the issue hinges on whether apple has slowed down the users device without effective notification, in particular withput letting the users know of a relatively cheap and effective remedy. . I can see you disagree, we shall see whether the courts agree with you in due course. Happy Christmas!
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry i dont have time fot an extended conversation on this so we will just wait and see, but the issue hinges on whether apple has slowed down the users device without effective notification, in particular withput letting the users know of a relatively cheap and effective remedy. . I can see you disagree, we shall see whether the courts agree with you in due course. Happy Christmas!
The cheapest and effective remedy is still the same for the last 10 years : 80$ for a new battery.

Happy Christmas to you too.
Old 23rd December 2017
Quote:
Do you imply that european courts are less rational than american ones ? I think it's quite the opposite by a large margin. This won't even make any sense to a european court ( but may win some large money in America to the professional suers )

- People complain that old iphones shut down because of old batteries giving up under CPU pressure, and don't want to pay for a new battery.
- Apple solves problem by slowing down CPU pressure to avoid old batteries shutting down for those not wanting to pay for a new battery, and explains how it does it when asked, as early as February 2017 .
- People sue because Apple explained how it solved the issue and saved them money. They wanted Apple not to tell them, and to force them to buy a new battery.

Yeah, sounds very winable in Europe........
I would encourage you to read the reddit thread on this as EVERYONE is now rushing out to buy new batteries to make their phones useable again... now that they know!

Stop saying people were aware of this - they weren't - Apple did not inform people. That 's why this is a major news story.
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Stop saying people were aware of this - they weren't - Apple did not inform people. That 's why this is a major news story.
Lol. People didn't know that batteries die after a while ? It's written clearly in on all manufacturer's websites , from Apple to Nintendo. But ok. Perhaps people aren't aware either that things can break if they fall on the floor. I smell massive worldwide lawsuit there as well.

Again, since you conveniently keep ignoring fact that don't fit your narative, here is the link again , for the second time, this time in bold supersized characters :

You can find similar statements in almost 100% of all websites of any manufacturer of battery powered devices.

It's funny that since you moved to an Android phone, you just keep creating these posts about how Apple is the worst thing ever. Do you really need this much reassurance about how your choice of smartphone was the right one ?
Old 23rd December 2017
Quote:
Lol. People didn't know that batteries die after a while ? It's written clearly in on all manufacturer's websites , from Apple to Nintendo. But ok. Perhaps people aren't aware either that things can break if they fall on the floor. I smell massive worldwide lawsuit there as well.

Again, since you conveniently keep ignoring fact that don't fit your narative, here is the link again , for the second time, this time in bold supersized characters :

You can find similar statements in almost 100% of all websites of any manufacturer of battery powered devices.

It's funny that since you moved to an Android phone, you just keep creating these posts about how Apple is the worst thing ever. Do you really need this much reassurance about how your choice of smartphone was the right one ?
What's funny is your blind support for Apple. I moved to a different phone for a bunch of reasons, one of which was that is became slow as molasses after various ios updates. My phone pre- dated this scandal but I would wager they did something similar back then.

I don't know why you keep citing that article - it doesn't change anything - users were not informed - is it in the release notes of the ios update? No - so you can drop that argument. Did they inform all their support staff at apple stores to suggest replacing batteries for slow performance ? Doubt it. That's the beauty of class action lawsuits - is they tend to make all of these issues much clearer.

I'm going to wager here right now that Apple settles the lawsuits quickly and then cranks up the price of battery replacements 6 months from now to make up for the lost sales that will come with people keeping their phones longer.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong!
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Apple only did what Dell does and pop up a message similar to what I wrote above when battery health decreases below a certain point:

Quote:
"You may begin to notice reduced operating time because your long-term battery life is decreasing. A normal characteristic of a rechargeable battery is that its operating duration decreases over time. etc."
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Apple only did what Dell does and pop up a message similar to what I wrote above when battery health decreases below a certain point:
They already did . In February of this year 2017. They added this in iOS 10.2.1 You wouldn't know it since you use an Android . Like I said, it's amusing that the only people here so hung up on this despite all rational evidence are Android users.
I'm going to requote myself , once again, and for the very last time ( I guess once people have decided they wanted to ignore something that doesn't fit what they want, you can quote it for a 100 times in a row in giant 10 meters high red flashy fluoerescent characters, and will still keep ignoring it. )

Here it is again, from Apple own website : If you see, 'Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced' - Apple Support
Quote:
If you see, ‘Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced‘
Learn what to do when you see this notice in Settings > Battery.

What the notice says

On an iPhone running iOS 10.2.1 or later, this notice might appear in Settings > Battery: “Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced.”
Battery settings in iPhone
Why the notice appears

Using diagnostics in iOS, we've detected that the battery in your iPhone may need to be replaced. When a battery gets closer to the end of its lifespan, the amount of charge and the ability to provide power reduces. As a result, a battery may need to be charged more and more frequently and your iPhone might experience unexpected shutdowns.
This isn’t a safety issue, it’s just to let you know that your battery may need to be replaced. You can continue to use your iPhone until you have your battery checked.
There are various factors that can affect the performance and lifespan of your device’s battery, including number of charge cycles, age of your battery, and exposure to extreme heat or cold. Learn more about maximizing battery life and lifespan.

Get help

To get help with a battery replacement, take your iPhone to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store.* You can also contact Apple Support.
All rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and might eventually need to be serviced. Apple’s one-year warranty, AppleCare+, and consumer law include service coverage for a defective battery. If your battery doesn't have service coverage, Apple offers a battery replacement service for a fee.
* Some counterfeit and third-party batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Merry Christmas.....
Old 23rd December 2017
Quote:
They already did . In February of this year 2017. They added this in iOS 10.2.1 You wouldn't know it since you use an Android . Like I said, it's amusing that the only people here so hung up on this despite all rational evidence are Android users.
I'm going to requote myself , once again, and for the very last time ( I guess once people have decided they wanted to ignore something that doesn't fit what they want, you can quote it for a 100 times in a row in giant 10 meters high red flashy fluoerescent characters, and will still keep ignoring it. )

Here it is again, from Apple own website : If you see, 'Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced' - Apple Support

Merry Christmas.....
I’m an iPhone fan. Been using since 3. But sorry, you have misunderstood the issue. The quote here says nothing about the OS deliberately making the phone slower. There’s no getting around that they should have stated that as well.
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Maniac

At my work a few guys have said it's a trick to make you upgrade to a new phone I think that's how many people are going to think of it as the word spreads. I know it's due to the battery condition but you know what people are like one of the same guys says there are aliens on the moon and Buzz Aldrin said so in an interview, which I can't find.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search