The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple admits to slowing old phones Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 23rd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
They already did . In February of this year 2017. They added this in iOS 10.2.1 You wouldn't know it since you use an Android . Like I said, it's amusing that the only people here so hung up on this despite all rational evidence are Android users.
I'm going to requote myself , once again, and for the very last time ( I guess once people have decided they wanted to ignore something that doesn't fit what they want, you can quote it for a 100 times in a row in giant 10 meters high red flashy fluoerescent characters, and will still keep ignoring it. )

Apple admits to slowing old phones

Here it is again, from Apple own website : If you see, 'Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced' - Apple Support

Merry Christmas.....
Hate to nitpick but that doesn't anything about phone performance or cpu... everyone knows batteries get weaker over time, what we didn't know was that apple crippled cpu performance based on that. This is what should be there : " as your battery ages our operating system will reduce your phone's speed to provide longer battery life - if you notice a large reduction in phone speed you may want to replace the battery rather than run out and spend $1000 on a new phone. Replacing the battery will fully restore phone performance".

There I fixed it!
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Hate to nitpick but that doesn't anything about phone performance or cpu... everyone knows batteries get weaker over time, what we didn't know was that apple crippled cpu performance based on that. This is what should be there : " as your battery ages our operating system will reduce your phone's speed to provide longer battery life - if you notice a large reduction in phone speed you may want to replace the battery rather than run out and spend $1000 on a new phone. Replacing the battery will fully restore phone performance".

There I fixed it!

Which is why I said earlier ( I just can't believe I'm requoting myself again and again ! ) :

Quote:
The real thing Apple is faulty about is not informing users beforehand about why is this happening, so that they can choose the option of paying to install a new battery if they wish to, or stick with the one they have and accept the slowdowns as a compromise to avoid sudden shutdowns.

Old 24th December 2017
I stopped doing updates after 2-3 times after buying a new iPhone since I caught on early of their scam!

I refuse to pay a thousand bucks for a stupid phone that will become obsolete in less than 5 years.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I stopped doing updates after 2-3 times after buying a new iPhone since I caught on early of their scam!

I refuse to pay a thousand bucks for a stupid phone that will become obsolete in less than 5 years.
I would never buy the iPhone X. The price is just nuts , although it's not that much more expensive than Samsung's flagship. I just bought a MacBook for less than the price of the iPhone X. And last year's iPhone 7 for 500 euros.

Plus, the Xs are going to be half-price next year, as they are going to release a much cheaper version without the wireless charging.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

My first iPad become slower and slower with each ios update, to the point where it was totally crippled compared to how it fast it was at the start.
Feels like it’s happening to my current iPad Air, I’m just noticing it’s struggling to open pages with a lot of content. It never had that issue before.
Old 24th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
My first iPad become slower and slower with each ios update, to the point where it was totally crippled compared to how it fast it was at the start.
Feels like it’s happening to my current iPad Air, I’m just noticing it’s struggling to open pages with a lot of content. It never had that issue before.
Well you may want to try replacing the battery!

You'd think with an army of engineers they could actually improve the efficiency of ios through updates rather than slow everybody down...
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Well you may want to try replacing the battery!

You'd think with an army of engineers they could actually improve the efficiency of ios through updates rather than slow everybody down...
iPads are not concerned by that update that slows down cpu on old batteries. Just on iPhone 6 and 6s.
The slowing down he is noticing is just the same you see when you update your old computer with a new OS. Changing the battery is unlikely to make it faster again. Same with computers, Mac, Windows, Linux, Same with Android phones, WindowPhones ( or what's left of it ), etc...

Android users probably see less slow down because they update their devices much less often than iOS users. Updates have to go thru the manufacturer of the device rather than thru Google directly ( unless you have a Google Pixel phone, of course ). And some Android phone manufacturers even stop providing Android updates altogether for their devices.
The latest Android OS ( Nougat ) is installed on less than 0.5% of all Android phones, while iOS 11 is now installed on more than 60% of all iPhones, in the same period.

Also, you could have all the engineers in the world, there is simply no way you can keep new Operating Systems ( whether for smartphones or computers ) running with same efficiency on new processors as well on 5 year old processors. New versions of an operating system always have more features that put more pressure on processors, Ram, hard disks, ports,etc... It's unfortunately inevitable. People are always screaming for more and more novelty and features, and companies have to deliver the novelties each year if they wanna make money.

The only way to make sure your computers or your portable devices never slows down is to never update.

The problem with the way this issue has been twisted out there is that a lot of people are going to naively believe now that their 6 year old computer or smartphone they just updated with the latest OS is only slower because of the battery or some conspiration from the manufacturer . It's not. It's slow because it's old. It simply won't run a new OS or update with the same speed as a brand new processor. Just in iOS world, there have been nearly a 20X jump in processing power between the iPhone 3 and the 5.

The only way to avoid obsolescence is to never create anything new.

Last edited by spaceman; 24th December 2017 at 05:45 PM..
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Head

The thing everybody is overlooking is that Apple is avoiding warranty claims by slowing down the phone. By the time that you figure out that your phone is not really running like it used to due to a weak battery you have passed the warranty window for an in warranty battery replacement. At which point you are on the hook for a $79 battery replacement. Seems kind of sleazy and underhanded.
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Guru

conclusion. you can't win.
but you may be able to mitigate some of the more negative effects.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Can confirm this is a trick by Apple, my iPhone 6+ and 6s+ are as fast as ever still running 9.3.3. I blocked updates to iOS 10 because I was sick of the constant nagging.

Apple are obviously doing something in software that cripples performance which is tied to something like battery age or serial number but not battery performance as my two iPhones are absolutely fine.

Cheers
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaber View Post
The thing everybody is overlooking is that Apple is avoiding warranty claims by slowing down the phone. By the time that you figure out that your phone is not really running like it used to due to a weak battery you have passed the warranty window for an in warranty battery replacement.
Well, the iPhone battery is only one year, from Apple:

"Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery."
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post

"Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery."
Geez, drink the Apple koolaid much.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post

Quote:
Geez, drink the Apple koolaid much.
I was responding to YOUR claim quoted below that Apple is doing this to avoid warranty claims...I quoted the above to show that Apple only warranties the battery for one year/500 charges...unless you are charging your phone twice a day you will never reach 500 charges in one year.

Quote:
The thing everybody is overlooking is that Apple is avoiding warranty claims by slowing down the phone. By the time that you figure out that your phone is not really running like it used to due to a weak battery you have passed the warranty window for an in warranty battery replacement. At which point you are on the hook for a $79 battery replacement. Seems kind of sleazy and underhanded.
Apple is slowing down phones that are over one year old, well out of warranty!!! How can you make the claim it's a warranty issue, and what does it have to do with Koolaid?
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Guru
Koolaid doesn't need a warranty, it lasts forever....
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
This is probably quite disastrous and dangerous for your security however.

Quote:
The latest Android OS ( Nougat ) is installed on less than 0.5% of all Android phones, while iOS 11 is now installed on more than 60% of all iPhones, in the same period.
I think I agree with most of your points, and honestly Android should be a combined effort rather than companies releasing essentially their own versions filled with bloat, but Google may be doing something as all the updates I've had have been mandatory, only allowing delay to inactive periods at night
Old 29th December 2017
A Message to Our Customers - Apple

Official statement from Apple - good news for those with iphone 6 and later- reducing battery replacement cost to 29$ from $79 for at least the 2018 year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search