The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone help me with my next headphone purchase? Studio Headphones
Old 11th November 2017
Here for the gear

Can anyone help me with my next headphone purchase?

Hi everyone, here is some background first.

I have these headphones, in order of purchase/use during the past years and the price payed at the time:

1. Siberia V2 - $70 - "Gaming" headphone, looking back the sound is overall bad and not for music. Also it was uncomfortable
2. PS3 Sony wireless headset- $75 - Definitely an improvement over the last one, but far away from ideal. Comfortable.

3. Jaycar Monitor headphones (Brainwavz HM5) - $80 - My first experience with something good for music honestly, after this one I stopped using the first two. This one lacked low end, but it was fun.

4. Sennheiser HD 518 - $49 - My first open-back headphones. Due to the build quality of this one compared to HM5, I stopped using it and only used this one for everything. I just use 1, 2 and 3 to check mixes and recording of my compositions on different sound sources, from terrible gear to better gear. I really loved the "natural" feel of a open back headphone, the confort. I know 518 are bass heavy and consumer grade headphone, I got used to the sound but I knew this headphone wasn't neutral and really bass heavy. Besides music I use it for dischord due to the comfort.

5. Sennheiser HD 558 no mod - $35 - It was too cheap, I wanted to know how different it was compared to 518 and I would like to have a second pair around in case the first one broke. Of course this one is more "neutral" - compared to 518 - in my ears (due to the bass not being so bloated messing around with everything). The sound overall is more refined and precise, but not by much. I use this one now when I want to listen to music seriously, check my compositions. 518 is for gaming/dischord now (or when my skin starts to complain about 558 velour pads).

I think its time to think about getting a headphone from the next level (anything from HD600, 650 level, planars, anything. Doesn't have to be sennheiser btw). I would like a comfortable headphone (that you can use 10 hours straight), high fidelity and closest to neutral as possible (for mixing, checking instruments, instrument position), while being great for just listening to music. I listen to rock70's to 2000's, progressive rock, lots of movie/games OSTs, eletronica, ambient, and instrumental in general. I don't usually listen to pop.

I would have to purchase a headphone amp (probably). I use them connected to a m-audio fast track c400. For now I'm looking for a good cost/benefit amp, maybe Magni 2. Also I'm looking for the biggest jump from the 558, to avoid diminishing returns after going to the next "level".

price: It can't be horribly expensive, maybe $200 to 350. I may consider buying it used, so a can that is easily found as used helps. I have to redirect the package to my country and maybe pay 60% taxes on it plus shipping, that is why my past purchases were limited to $80 price range.

My ears are sensitive, so I don't listen to music on loud levels. If the headphone needs more volume so I can start hearing a particular frequency (or bass), this is a problem.

Hope anyone can help, thanks!
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear
The Senn 600 is slightly above your max new, but there are several things that recommend it. First, although you are open to other brands, you have some experience with Sennheiser which has been largely positive. Your idea of sound signature and comfort seem to be in line with theirs. They also have a long tradition of making solid pro products, and that includes a long history making quality headphones.
“Buy once, cry once” is a stock phrase for the usual reason. There is truth in it.
I would not put headphones on the list of audio products I would buy used. People usually get rid of headphones when the pads flatten out, or when the cable or connectors get glitchy, or they don’t sound right (however they define it).
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Addict

I got an older version of this headphone amp:

JDS labs Objective h/p amp

Used on eBay with a built-in D/A converter so I can hook it to my laptop via USB. Excellent for driving my hd650s.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search