The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MONO is Back !!! the Apple Speaker ... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Guru

MONO is Back !!! the Apple Speaker ...

MONO is Back !!! so make sure you Check your Phase - now more than ever - we are back to the 30's with one speaker that people listen to !!!!

the Apple Speaker ...

HAHA .. and it looks like a trash can with some mesh material on it ...

HOmePod !!! LOL

oh no, it can detect certain parts of the music .. a Speaker that decides what you listen to .. it is doing a Mix !!!! for Free !!!! damn it AI !!
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear
Ay Dios Mio
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
MONO is Back !!! so make sure you Check your Phase - now more than ever - we are back to the 30's with one speaker that people listen to !!!!

the Apple Speaker ...

HAHA .. and it looks like a trash can with some mesh material on it ...

HOmePod !!! LOL

oh no, it can detect certain parts of the music .. a Speaker that decides what you listen to .. it is doing a Mix !!!! for Free !!!! damn it AI !!
Obviously most people are not audiophiles; yet, in the end, you’ll probably wind up buying one to hear how everyone else hears your mixes.
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyque View Post
Obviously most people are not audiophiles; yet, in the end, you’ll probably wind up buying one to hear how everyone else hears your mixes.
i have one Avantone HomePod now !!!! but with this detection software going it will be interesting to see what it does to a mix
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i have one Avantone HomePod now !!!! but with this detection software going it will be interesting to see what it does to a mix
"Avantone HomePod now" right but we'll see what additional mojo the software
adds.

When in Rome...
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyque View Post
"Avantone HomePod now" right but we'll see what additional mojo the software
adds.

When in Rome...
haha .. yeah, very interested to hear a mix through this beast ... a trash can with some mesh on it ..
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

People are willing to spend for high quality 4k screens, but are happy to listen to mono compressed music. Sad but we're getting used to this by now, it's been like this since the mp3 "revolution".

But the real reason they released this thing is to compete with the other trashcan from Amazon, the Alexa speaker ( or Echo speaker..can't remember the name) for Homekit control ans stuff like that.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac

With 7 tweeters I'd be surprised if it's mono.
Old 6th June 2017
Haters gonna hate. I'm guessing it will be awesome.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear
It'll probably have some sort of Ambisonic projection, whereby the 7 tweeters are matrixed ...and in a feedback response loop with the 6 microphones...perhaps to respond to the acoustics of the room ? Mono Jim, but not as we know it !

Apple speaker to "reinvent" home audio - InDaily
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict
Seems like they killed the Mac Pro trash can to introduce a new trash can.

Beats technology in a trash can design?
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

**** i'm getting one:

Audio Technology

High-excursion woofer with custom-engineered amplifier
Array of seven horn-loaded tweeters, each with its own custom-engineered amplifier
Six-microphone array for far-field Siri and room sensing
Internal low-frequency calibration microphone for automatic bass correction
Direct and ambient audio beamforming
Transparent studio-level dynamic processing
Old 6th June 2017
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Link?
Will this suffice?

https://www.apple.com/homepod/
Old 6th June 2017
Thanks

Yikes! What a dumbass move!

Unless you can pair 2 to produce in sync stereo

I had 2 Sony bluetooth speakers that would link. It was fun putting them either side of a room. But the low end was permanently out of phase... not cool

And they were a pain to set up each time and get them to communicate - so I sold one..

This apple speaker makes a monkey out of all producers and engineers work..
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Thanks

I had 2 Sony bluetooth speakers that would link. It was fun putting them either side of a room. But the low end was permanently out of phase... not cool

And they were a pain to set up each time and get them to communicate - so I sold one..

This apple speaker makes a monkey out of all producers and engineers work..
Let's hope Apple's commitment will be stronger in this area than their focus on, say Beats and Mac Pro. I think Apple under Mr. Cook is a bit anemic. He's a better bean counter than an engineer or visionary. But stockholders love him, so who cares about groundbreaking technology.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks

:
In the WWDC video, they showed that you can sync 2 of them for stereo.
Old 6th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
AHHHHH....well then....

How much will 2 cost then?

(I can't find the 2 unit pairing info you mention in WWDC video.. but The Verge mentions it here http://www.wired.co.uk/article/homep...te-price-specs )
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Nut

God I hate Apple.

Making terrible ideas fashionable.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

I have zero interest in this thing but the HomePod is certainly not worse than its two competitors :

Amazon Echo

Google Home:

They're all based on the same concept, Mono speakers with built-in home assistant. They're all lifestyle appliances, not real home stereos. The Amazon Echo has been selling pretty well. I have no idea why, but is selling.
Old 6th June 2017
I don't think it looks like a trash can. I think it looks like a big roll of crosshatch wound kite twine -- the extra big size you'd buy if you were trying to see just how far up you could get your kite.

I was charmed and intrigued by their use of 'motor' when talking about the woofer in the Apple marketing materials. I mean, a magnetic piston is certainly a 'motor' but I can't recall ever hearing that word used to describe speakers in the 55+ years I've been reading about audio/electronics. But, hey, language is a living thing, eh? That's what Sean Spicer said.

Quote:
Place HomePod anywhere in the room. It automatically analyzes the acoustics, adjusts the sound based on the speaker’s location, and steers the music in the optimal direction. Whether HomePod is against the wall, on a shelf, or in the middle of the room, everyone gets an immersive listening experience.
How would it know 'the optimal direction,' I wonder. If it's sitting in one spot in a room, it can't exactly analyze the whole room.

And, while you can use two in a room and they supposedly adjust to complement each other -- I don't see the key word, stereo anywhere...

Quote:
Put another HomePod in the same room, and the two automatically detect and balance each other — for sound that’s even more lifelike.

For what its worth, I suspect it will be a fun and useful home appliance. I assume you'll be able to use it to control playback over other devices (what a waste if you can't, eh?) But what about control of video program material over associated devices -- is that controllable? Seems like they'd be missing a bet if it isn't. Don't the other products in this class do that? (Me, I don't even have a TV. EDIT: I see the Google says their Assistant can: "Stream video content to any TV that has Chromecast plugged in or built-in. Then play, pause, or turn up the volume." So it uses the TV essentially as passive monitor in that use scenario. Of course, there are apps that let you turn your Android [and iPhone, I assume] into an IFR remote. But if you're going to do the cyber-domo thing, wouldn't it be nice to just yell out, "Find me a Law & Order rerun!"?)

Also, FWIW, while I think the Apple HomePod looks better than Google Home Assistant and their graphic considerably slicker -- I think the Apple team could have stretched a little farther for originality in their graphic imagery. Compare the new HomePod graphic above with this from Google that's been out a while... (But, hoo boy, the Google creatives should all be sent back to design/graphics school.)

Last edited by theblue1; 6th June 2017 at 07:11 PM..
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I was charmed and intrigued by their use of 'motor' when talking about the woofer in the Apple marketing materials. I mean, a magnetic piston is certainly a 'motor' but I can't recall ever hearing that word used to describe speakers in the 55+ years I've been reading about audio/electronics.
Check out Intersonics Servodrive sub from the 90s. A sound company I used to work for had a bunch of these that came off the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour.
Old 6th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
Check out Intersonics Servodrive sub from the 90s. A sound company I used to work for had a bunch of these that came off the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour.
I remember reading about those back in the day but could never figure out how the tech was supposed to work. I couldn't really find anything in a few minutes of looking on that aspect, though lots of general discussions of them as well as people looking to try to figure out how to service them. (I believe the answer to that latter dilemma is "Service?!? Bwahahahaha!!!" The guy who designed and made them, Mike Danley, seems to have moved on to other loudspeaker technologies.)

But if anyone comes across an explainer on how they work, I'd love to read it
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict

Iff one tweeter blows, you will have six more.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I don't think it looks like a trash can. I think it looks like a big roll of crosshatch wound kite twine -- the extra big size you'd buy if you were trying to see just how far up you could get your kite.

I was charmed and intrigued by their use of 'motor' when talking about the woofer in the Apple marketing materials. I mean, a magnetic piston is certainly a 'motor' but I can't recall ever hearing that word used to describe speakers in the 55+ years I've been reading about audio/electronics. But, hey, language is a living thing, eh? That's what Sean Spicer said.

Seems like motor is the word serious audio people use. Here is from Genelec's recent release on "The Ones":

"Innovations include a motor assembly that sees both the midrange and the tweeter share the same compact magnet system, reducing size and weight with no reduction in response".
Source: https://www.genelec.com/ones-ultimat...mpact-coaxials

Maybe Cook has just come back from the Genelec audio school in Finland? Or maybe he's just read the Genelec material.
Old 6th June 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

1st of April..? An article by the Onion ended up in Apple's inbox..? Dr Evil meets Big Brother..?
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
i am not sure they actually said the word Stereo .. it seemed more like better coverage ..

AI mixing side of this is what is what Jules says .. making a monkey of our hard work !!!

who's idea was this Concept ????
Old 7th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
Seems like motor is the word serious audio people use. Here is from Genelec's recent release on "The Ones":

"Innovations include a motor assembly that sees both the midrange and the tweeter share the same compact magnet system, reducing size and weight with no reduction in response".
Source: https://www.genelec.com/ones-ultimat...mpact-coaxials

Maybe Cook has just come back from the Genelec audio school in Finland? Or maybe he's just read the Genelec material.
I think, back when I was in school, one of my teachers described a conventional electromagnetic speaker as a form of electric motor -- which it certainly is.

I've got no problem with the term, myself, I just hadn't really come across it in common use -- but I have to admit I let my (once many) audio tech mag subscriptions lapse years ago. Except, of course, for Tape Op.

So maybe its current use snuck up on me. But I'm hep now. Or hip. I keep reading conflicting etymologies...
Old 7th June 2017
Quote:
People are willing to spend for high quality 4k screens, but are happy to listen to mono compressed music. Sad but we're getting used to this by now, it's been like this since the mp3 "revolution".

But the real reason they released this thing is to compete with the other trashcan from Amazon, the Alexa speaker ( or Echo speaker..can't remember the name) for Homekit control ans stuff like that.

Yeah... totally. AM radio was just a figment of people's imaginations for many, many decades.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search