The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for Hi-Fi Portable Music Player Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 8th December 2016
Recommendations for Hi-Fi Portable Music Player

Any recommendations for hi-fi portable music players?
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Nut
If you carry a smartphone, use that as the media player and attach an asynchronous USB DAC / headphone amplifier, e.g. OPPO HA2-SE.
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

or a bluetooth speaker... so many of them out now! 400 pages of them on Amazon...
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Was going to mention the Pono, but Neil Young killed it off...now a "Toblerone-shaped paper weight":
R.I.P. Pono, Neil Young Kills Off His Digital Player - Noise11.com
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Nut

I recently bought a Sony NW-A35 Hi-Res portable DAP Walkman and it is awesome. The sound quality is lush, spacious and the bass is meaty. I have them paired with my Sony MDR-1000X Bluetooth headphones which are awesome too.
Old 16th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I recently bought a Sony NW-A35 Hi-Res portable DAP Walkman and it is awesome. The sound quality is lush, spacious and the bass is meaty. I have them paired with my Sony MDR-1000X Bluetooth headphones which are awesome too.
Yeah, I asked for the Sony Walkman (digital) player for Christmas. (The one that's about $1,100.) Hopefully I get it!
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Yeah, I asked for the Sony Walkman (digital) player for Christmas. (The one that's about $1,100.) Hopefully I get it!

WTF are you talking about?

Sony Walkman NW-E395 - Digital player - 16 GB - red | Dell United States
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It amazes me that people into hi-res listen with bluetooth. Can anyone give me specs on bluetooth audio and define the difference between that and mp3?

JUst a little research brought up this:
how good is bluetooth audio at its best?
Do any BT devices specify what they use for transmission?

Last edited by loujudson; 16th December 2017 at 02:58 AM..
Old 16th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
It amazes me that people into hi-res listen with bluetooth. Can anyone give me specs on bluetooth audio and define the difference between that and mp3?

Bluetooth is not as good as analog wire, lol. If they don't intrinsically understand that, they are not audiophiles.
Old 16th December 2017
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Seriously dude....

When I'm jogging or driving or on a plane...a high quality MP3 will do just fine. Why the 128?
Old 17th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post

To be honest I try to stick with wired headphones anyway because they sound better. The Sony MDR-1000X headphones are not only Bluetooth they can also be connected to a 3.5mm headphone socket with the supplied cable which I use more than Bluetooth because the sound quality is much better when wired to my Sony DAP. I also find that Bluetooth headphone make me feel dizzy and disorientated.
Old 8th June 2018
get a portable recorder and store as WAV. isn't 24-bit WAV high fi enough?
Old 10th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
To be honest I try to stick with wired headphones anyway because they sound better. The Sony MDR-1000X headphones are not only Bluetooth they can also be connected to a 3.5mm headphone socket with the supplied cable which I use more than Bluetooth because the sound quality is much better when wired to my Sony DAP. I also find that Bluetooth headphone make me feel dizzy and disorientated.
Do you think it has something to do with the wave frequency? I think our brain just gets tired listening to music all the time
Old 18th July 2018
Quote:
Bluetooth was originally created not for audio entertainment, but to connect phone headsets and speakerphones. It was also designed with a very narrow bandwidth, which forces it to apply data compression to an audio signal. While this may be perfectly fine for phone conversations, it's not ideal for music reproduction. Not only that, but the Bluetooth could be applying this compression on top of data compression that might already exist, such as from digital audio files or sources streamed through the Internet.
From the previously posted: Does Bluetooth Wireless Audio Reduce Sound Quality?

And, as most of us probably already know, running an already data-compressed file through more data compression can increase the loss of sonic detail considerably. (Photocopy-of-a-photocopy syndrome, so to speak.)

The article does note that there are apparent workarounds involving alternet codecs...
Quote:
It's important to recognize that while Bluetooth (as commonly implemented) does degrade audio quality (to varying degrees), it doesn't have to. It's primarily up to the device manufacturers to use Bluetooth in a way that impacts audio quality the least – or preferably, not at all.
Old 19th July 2018
All that said about BT quality issues... I have to admit I've considered getting a small ultra cheap BT speaker(s) just for the bathroom. I often carry my tablet in there to listen while showering, etc... but that .75 inch speaker just doesn't pound it out. It'd be nice to just be able to walk in and hit the power button and have the 'bathroom speaker' grab signal.

You know, considering the amount of money spent on BT speakers and such, you'd think there might be interest in the industry in a new, improved BT2 spec with a more modern, fidelity-conscious approach to music transmission (perhaps along the lines of the secondary technologies described in the article in the post above).
Old 4 days ago
FiiO M9 is cool - I just bought one.. Check it out. (You will want a Tidal or Qobuz subscription to get the best from it) or hi res files to transfer over to it)

I am trying to decide between Sony WH 1000x M3 over ear headphones or WI 1000x in ear (neck band) Earbuds (I am auditioning them this week)

Both pairs have Sony LDAC Bluetooth (which transmits 3 x the resolution of old style Bluetooth.)

It's the Sony LDAC Bluetooth (and to a lesser extent Atpx HD Bluetooth) that make portable Hi Res / wireless workable - IMHO.

It's said to (sort of / almost?) transmit 96k / 24bit audio)

Old 4 days ago
Honestly, my new Sony NW-WM1 Walkman, which costs like $1,100, is nothing compared to my old Sony D-303 Discman in terms of sound. Buy a D-303 and invest in some CDs people. Ye shall thanketh me.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search