The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5.1 surround sound bar + rear speakers
Old 30th November 2016
5.1 surround sound bar + rear speakers

I bought one of these cool gadgets

A Sony left, centre and right "sound bar" & sub speaker

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-nt5

Plus two rear speakers for it

The Soundbar speakers are hard wired,
The sub and rear speakers connect via bluetooth

Its cool and I have to say, sounds great on 5.1 movies

But I have a question, on non surround surround material (like when I send it music via bluetooth and TV shows that aren't surround) - some sound still comes out of the rear speakers. The overall effect is not unpleasant, its sounds cool and "ultra wide" or like a 'hall effect"

Is that

a standard thing home cinema systems do with stereo material? Upmix?

or is it simply the delay added via the bluetooth transmission to the rear speakers?

Thanks,
Old 24th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I bought one of these cool gadgets

A Sony left, centre and right "sound bar" & sub speaker

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-nt5

Plus two rear speakers for it

The Soundbar speakers are hard wired,
The sub and rear speakers connect via bluetooth

Its cool and I have to say, sounds great on 5.1 movies

But I have a question, on non surround surround material (like when I send it music via bluetooth and TV shows that aren't surround) - some sound still comes out of the rear speakers. The overall effect is not unpleasant, its sounds cool and "ultra wide" or like a 'hall effect"

Is that

a standard thing home cinema systems do with stereo material? Upmix?

or is it simply the delay added via the bluetooth transmission to the rear speakers?

Thanks,
Hi Jules,

Did you find an answer? I don't have a sound bar but I do have a 5.1 surround system. When playing audio, mine defaults to all front and rear speakers when playing audio and the signal is in stereo. If I go into the settings, I can select the audio to only come out of the the front speakers.

If you haven't already done so, I would check your settings section.

Cheers!
Old 7th October 2017
I don't know.

It plays audio OK

But some youtube audio seems to be 5.1 and it plays them back very nicely.
Old 7th October 2017
Never used/heard that Sony (looks cool!) but the receiver I used most was a Denon that my father in law owns, and it features all sorts of modes for turning 2.0 audio into 5.1 and above, with Dolby, DTS or native decoders. It also had a "neutral" modes so you could send stereo content to a pair of speakers. It's been awhile since I've played with that system but recall that it was quite flexible.

I guess each brand/model/codec/etc has its own mysterious ways, but from ear I think it's little bits of EQs + micro delays, and mostly it sounds very good, but sometimes it's a bit too much.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search