The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Go Pro Camera Thread Plugin Bundles
Old 22nd May 2016
Go Pro Camera Thread

Ive been day dreaming about buying one but not totally sure its worth it. Are any of you using it (yes of course) and can you shed some light on the topic, or better yet some links to your video work with it, even if its not music related . . . . .
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Well, I'm about to sell all my GoPro stuff. I'm not looking to sell it here, mind you.

My experience is that you have to understand that all the GoPro videos you've seen on the GoPro channel are made by professionals and require a ton of work to get them looking that good.

Right out of the camera (GoPro Hero 3+ silver) the shots are faded, and seriously shaky. Bad quality, really. The lens is super wide even at narrow settings, so something has to be very close to the camera to get a decent shot. But not too close, they can't focus close up. And the distant focus is bad, so that's why all GoPro videos feature something or someone a foot or two away from the lens.

There is no anti-shake, so you have to capture the front of the car or skis or bike to create an illusion of a steadier camera. The GoPro videos you see have either been shot with a gimbal or have smoothing applied in post processing. You'll need a good computer to keep up.

The colors are faded, the skies are green at the horizon. The audio recording is useless.

Just to let you know how bad the quality really is, here is a blurb from GoPro's site, in their own words:

"Off the camera, think ahead and wear bright clothing that will reflect light or add contrast. Creating an illusion of light can be an effective way of fooling the eye, and giving the impression that the GoPro picture quality is actually better than it is.
Become a master in post-production. Play with atmosphere to produce an end result that suits the video you captured, rather than having a preconceived idea of what it should be like."

In other words, since it already looks bad, make it arty.

I guess you can tell I'm saying it's not worth it. If you want to spend a LOT of time making videos, underwater stuff, it might be fine. It's fun for a while, but ruined shots make it tedious quickly. I do a lot of kayaking, I thought it would be a blast, I've been nothing but disappointed.
Old 23rd May 2016
Oh man, that's not cool. I may have to look into a cheaper version of the camera, I know that several companies are offering knock-off type action cams.
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

I would love an action cam that takes good video. But I spent my cash on this GoPro instead. I read that GoPro stock has crashed. The Hero 4 should have taken better shots, that's what everyone wanted- better optics, better focus, anti-shake.

I take my GH3 with me on paddles. It's a water resistant camera, not water proof, and expensive, but I get good video. I thought the GoPro would be a great addition to get the in the water type action shots.

So after I sell this I'll start looking around for a replacement. There's got to be something better out there.
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

I had a client bring in go pro footage recently and I was surprised how good it looked. I think his was a go pro 3. It was a little fish eye and it did need some color correction...but it was shot on a tripod, with the subject close in cloudy outdoor lighting. All that probably helped it. That said, I think the recent price increase was unwarranted and there are a lot of small cams that will do the same thing around. Let us know what you find out.
L.
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
I had a client bring in go pro footage recently and I was surprised how good it looked. I think his was a go pro 3. It was a little fish eye and it did need some color correction...but it was shot on a tripod, with the subject close in cloudy outdoor lighting. All that probably helped it. That said, I think the recent price increase was unwarranted and there are a lot of small cams that will do the same thing around. Let us know what you find out.
L.
I think the quality control at GoPro is not great. For instance, some GoPro cameras have worse distance focus than others. There is a hack on YouTube that will help fix the focus but it requires taking the camera apart. My GoPro takes washed out shots. It doesn't matter the weather or the settings, it just lets in too much light.

Something I've gotten sensitive to is the pattern of the lens flares with GoPro cameras. Sometimes lens flares can look cool in a photograph, but with a GoPro it's looks like a ball of green and purple hair. It's weird, I notice it all the time with GoPro videos now.

I read today that Olympus is releasing a small action cam. It has an LCD and image stabilization-
Olympus joins the action camera race with its Stylus TG-Tracker
Old 8th October 2016
Gear Guru

GoPro Karma looks promising .. and the Hero 5
Old 29th October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
GoPro Karma looks promising .. and the Hero 5
Strapping these babies on helmet's, car's, or on little steadicams can be a treat! I work in the freelance video production world and show's use these all the time

Last edited by _Bender_; 2nd November 2016 at 08:22 PM..
Old 29th October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bender_ View Post
Strapping these babies on helmet's care,s or little steadicams can be a treat! I work in the freelance video production world and show's use these all the time
i worked on this the other night .. https://www.facebook.com/AvengedSevenfold/

and cinedrones was there .. they did some fine work ..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search