The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
James Garner R.I.P & the Synth used in the Theme tune to the Rockford Files
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

James Garner R.I.P & the Synth used in the Theme tune to the Rockford Files

Sadly this great actor passed away yesterday and I thought it would be appropriate to acknowledge it here as I always loved the theme tune and it's very distinctive synth lead. I'm guessing quite a few of us 40 somethings know it well.

Any ideas on what it was? (Comes in #0:14)

RIP Jim!

Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
Its an ARP isn't it? An odyssey?
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

ive read somewhere that it was a model d

neb
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Always loved that opening sequence - I'm not sure many of us even had answerphones in the UK at that time - the Yanks always seemed so much further ahead of us. heh

RIP James Garner.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

Rockford Files ruled...I loved that show!

Respect to James Garner.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Love the days of those old shows and the synths they played. So many. Hill Street Blues theme stuck in my head to this day.
RIP Mr. Garner
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Maniac
In an interview Mike Post (the composer) says it was a Minimoog
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearner View Post
In an interview Mike Post (the composer) says it was a Minimoog
^^^ This.

"For a lead instrument, they used a Minimoog synthesizer, which was new at the time, making this one of the first uses of the instrument in a hit song."
Old 21st July 2014
Ahhh Rocky - RIP James
Whilst the synth solo is great it's the guitar solo that I waited in anticipation for (but maybe this is the wrong sub-forum to say that).
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Sure sounds like a minimoog.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

Yes it sounds totally Moog.
Old 21st July 2014
it's a minimoog... was a big deal back then using one as a regular instrument in tv music score
"This was written by Pete Carpenter and Mike Post as the theme for The Rockford Files, which was an NBC show about a private investigator played by James Garner. Stephen J. Cannell created the show; he was good friends with Post and wanted an unusual instrumental theme that would get the viewers' attention.

Post and Carpenter came up with the song using a blues harmonica, dobro and electric guitar, along with what Post describes as "a chamber group on steroids" - two flutes, two French horns, two trombones. For a lead instrument, they used a Minimoog synthesizer, which was new at the time, making this one of the first uses of the instrument in a hit song."

Theme from The Rockford Files by Mike Post Songfacts
they rerecorded the theme song a number of times (no guitar solo in 1st season, couple different guitar solo versions, couple diff tempo's and the 7" hit single)... near end of 2nd season the final version everyone associates with the show was done (it was done again in future seasons, but changes were small)

been playing Rockford Files episodes in the background... early seasons had tons of exterior shots; almost like a doc of SoCal highways in the late '70s, with lots of stunt driving (by Garner!)
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Totally a MiniMoog, with the 3 oscillators as VCO's.

rachel
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Great song,actor and program.Brings back memories.He was one cool dude!!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

It was one of the first 45s I remember buying as a kid! He played some really fun character roles over the decades.

RIP James Garner
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Dam , that theme's catchy. I've been humming it all day.
Old 21st July 2014
Just replying to share the Garner / Rockford Files / theme song love.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Great TV theme. I also love the broadcast design of the opening. Great use of image stills - those hard zooms & pans and rapid image sequences edited to the music are 70s in all the right ways.

Garner was always fun to watch - RIP!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

lol... I just realized they inserted a snippet of Andy Kaufman into the answering machine in that video
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

Let the time flow, let the love grow, let the rain shower, let the rose flower; love it seeks, love it finds, love it conquers, love it binds; we come to each other from different worlds, drawn to each other by the love inside of us. We give to each other our different worlds; as long as we can do it, life is gonna breeze right through it. Let the time flow, let the live grow, let the rain shower, let the rose flower; live it seeks, love it finds, love it conquers, love it binds; we reach for each other from different worlds. With love for each other that can stand the test of time. We're up to the challenge of different worlds; win this love inside us, there is nothing divide us. Let the time flow, let the love grow, let the rain shower, let the rose flower; love it seeks seeks, love it finds, love it conquers, love it binds.

Theme song "Diffrent Worlds" from the greatest ever (short lived) 1979-80 ABC sitcom, "Angie" starring Donna Pescow and Robert Hays.
Sung by Maureen McGovern
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search