The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SXSW deaths made me sad. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th March 2014
SXSW deaths made me sad.

I am not sure if most of you have kept up, but a car crashed into people at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas and two people died.

LINK: 2 killed when intoxicated man plows car into crowd at SXSW, police say - CNN.com

That is such a bummer to me. People go there to have fun and interact with others. Condolences to the families of the deceased.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I parked that night on the same street (Red River)as he killed those people. If I had left my gig about 10 minutes earlier, I would have walked straight head on into the maddness.

As nutty, and over grown as the whole thing has become, it's a wonder there aren't more deaths, really.

But, yes, it's tragic. People come from all over the world to our fair city, to play their 40 minute set, they don't deserve to die in the process.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

The festival has become a monster austin can't handle. Luckily i'm in a warehouse prepping drums and rental orders most of the fest. Went down Thursday afternoon and it's mayhem at 3-4 in the afternoon, I do not want to be around at night!
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

But the driver was being chased by a cop at high speeds?
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
That is what I read. I am not sure if the driver was just drunk or high or whatever. But it is just so sad that people died as a result of his actions.
Old 17th March 2014
This shouldn't be in the Moan zone, it should be a tribute thread to 'fallen comrades' or at least some reference to peers who have been taken from us way before their time... a memorial thread.

Loss of life like this is tragic and hurts us all.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
NO

this slimeball ran after being stopped by the police, crashed thru barricades of closed streets and into the crowd for quite some distance without stopping. He was hitting people and didn't stop.

He was driving a stolen car, was attempting to rap at a club off the main area where he had not been invited to perform and subsequently tested well past the legal limit for drunk driving. He's a walking POS afaic.

here's the story :

Driver charged with capital murder in SXSW rampage - Houston Chronicle
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I guess for once it's good it happened in Texas. Not the place you want to kill anyone.....
Hella sux man
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I saw clips of streetfighting going on at the festival. Groups of thugs beating the **** out of one another on the street. Looks like fun...
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
I saw clips of streetfighting going on at the festival. Groups of thugs beating the **** out of one another on the street. Looks like fun...
So much for the spirit of Woodstock.
If weed were legal this may not have happened!
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
So much for the spirit of Woodstock.
If weed were legal this may not have happened!
Nah I'm pretty sure these thugs woulda been fighting no matter what.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

It is a tragedy, but it didn't happen in isolation. Austin -- the celebrated live music and "party" city that it is -- has a serious problem with drunk drivers. I've lived in Austin for 25 years, and you'd have to live here to understand the sheer breadth of the problem. I'd even go so far as to say it's cultural, since there's a general air of permissiveness when it comes to driving while intoxicated. It's how "partying" is done in Austin. People will go to a bar or club, have 4 or 5 drinks, and then go out and drive somewhere else. Then they'll do it several times more in one night. Or they'll park on 4th street, get hammered on 6th street (Austin's densest club district), and drive home before they can even walk straight. You can't even drive down Lamar at night between 10 pm and 2 am, especially on weekends, without being practically run off the road by someone who is driving drunk.

Austin is also one of the biggest college towns in the country, with over 100,000 college students. The incidence of underage drinking and resultant injuries and deaths that occur in West Campus and elsewhere in town border on epidemic levels. I've operated a business in West Campus for 14 years, and I've basically seen it all. Aside from alcohol abuse, drug abuse is also a tolerated cultural norm of Austin, and it too is out of control.

And then to top it off you have festivals like SXSW, where 100,000 or more people from all over the world descend on the city and go wild, and this happens.

I feel terrible for the victims, but I'm not surprised it happened. I'm only surprised it hasn't happened more.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know the Austin you drive around in, but I can't drive 10 minutes without seeing 3 cops, and I asure you LOTS of people get busted for DWI.

And ther's ALWAYS a bouncer checking IDs at the door.

I don't know where you get off saying its a "permissive" place, in any way shape or form. Hell we're about 3 inches from being a police state, in my book.

What would you like, roadblocks? Checkpoints?

Typical knee jerk reaction. More government control , please. Save us, police.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
I don't know the Austin you drive around in, but I can't drive 10 minutes without seeing 3 cops, and I asure you LOTS of people get busted for DWI.

And ther's ALWAYS a bouncer checking IDs at the door.

I don't know where you get off saying its a "permissive" place, in any way shape or form. Hell we're about 3 inches from being a police state, in my book.

What would you like, roadblocks? Checkpoints?

Typical knee jerk reaction. More government control , please. Save us, police.
Well then apparently not enough of them get busted, do they? We still have a major problem with drunk drivers. And if you're seeing a lot of people getting busted, it's because a lot of them are out there driving drunk ... just as I said.

I've even driven down Lamar and had a drunk driver veer INTO MY TRUCK and just keep on driving because they didn't even know they hit me.

And who cares if there's a bouncer checking IDs at the door? The people getting hammered and driving are LEGAL drinkers, while the under-aged drinkers are doing it at dorms and frat parties in West Campus. You can see them out in the streets between MLK and 38th street all weekend. Hell, not long ago one of them (a 19 year old kid who was drinking) was trying to impress his friends and fell five stories to his death right outside my place of business.

Last, you can spare me the libertarian government control straw man argument. I never said anything about more government control. But since you bring it up, yes I DO think roadblocks and random checkpoints are a good idea. No, strike that. I think they're a GREAT idea.

What I'm describing is cultural and economic. This city has a real problem. If you can't see it, maybe you should open your eyes.
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave View Post
What I'm describing is cultural and economic. This city has a real problem. If you can't see it, maybe you should open your eyes.
I did not know that Austin had so many problems. That is pretty depressing. I hope that Austin can solve its problems. Innocent people do not deserve to die.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post
NO

this slimeball ran after being stopped by the police, crashed thru barricades of closed streets and into the crowd for quite some distance without stopping. He was hitting people and didn't stop.

He was driving a stolen car, was attempting to rap at a club off the main area where he had not been invited to perform and subsequently tested well past the legal limit for drunk driving. He's a walking POS afaic.

here's the story :

Driver charged with capital murder in SXSW rampage - Houston Chronicle
Dude. Did I read that right?

Owens, a father of six from Killeen?

The dude is 21 and he is a father of 6 kids???? Or did was the article trying to say he was 1 OF 6 kids? That is just unbelievable!
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think a part of the issue in Austin, (not this case but in general), is horrible public transportation. I lived in sf for 10 years before moving back here which is another big party city and you could go out and have fun then catch a train, bus etc home. I currently live in wells branch and there is pretty much no choice but to drive if you want to go downtown. Our one train stops running at around 6 most nights and if I caught a cab it's about $50 each way. In no way am I advocating drunk driving but the way the city is set up it pretty much asks for it. When I lived off 51st I would bike downtown but I got run off the road by a drunk driver and have a nasty scar to prove it. On top of all that 35 downtown area is horribly designed. OK rant over
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

7wave, apologies for the rant. Don't get me wrong, it's dangerous as hell out there, due mainly to the tripling in size, without too few changes in the roadways.
And no real practical public transport. Just think of how many dwi/drunks could be stopped by a late night train/shuttle from DT to west campus area.

We'll disagree on whether checkponts equate to more government control. Whatever. Personally, I don't subscribe to them.

In this case, however, a mixed up young man, already in trouble, stole a car, drove from another city, got drunk, the permissive police attempted to pull him over, he panicked, fled, and killed and injured some unfortunate souls in the chase.

I don't know how you can legislate against something like this. It's tragic. You can stop stupid, like they say.

Falling off a building? What social economic change would you suggest to prevent this?
Old 29th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

Falling off a building? What social economic change would you suggest to prevent this?

Well, preventing a 19 year old kid in UT's West Campus from getting alcohol is achievable. For starters they could get rid of the dozens of alcohol retailers and bars that operate within 5 blocks of the University of Texas campus. About ten years ago the zoning laws for West Campus were changed, and developers moved in and to this day they continue to build high rise apartment buildings with high dollar retail spaces. This brought more bars and "convenience stores" that basically just sell booze, since they're the only businesses that can generate the revenue to pay $35/ft/yr. for retail space.

You should see West Campus on a Friday or Saturday night. It's wall to wall people running around everywhere on foot carrying multiple 12 packs of beer back to their apartments and frat houses. One 21 year old with an ID can supply beer to dozens of 19 and 20 year olds. And they do. Believe me.

So, the easy availability of alcohol near UT is preventable. It's just that nobody with any authority has the will to do anything about it. Illegal drug use is also more prevalent there now, with the accompanying drug dealers, higher rate of murder, rape, and property crime in the area, etc. A couple of blocks away from my business there was a double murder over drugs (a UT student/drug dealer and his girlfriend murdered by one of his customers), and a few blocks away in the other direction a young girl was abducted right off the street and gang raped. That was a few months ago. Over Christmas break, another lunatic stoned out of his mind attacked three different women, all complete strangers, killing the third after invading her home.

UT is something like the second largest university in the world, and it was recently voted #1 'party school' in the country. What a way to earn that reputation.

As far as SXSW is concerned, I speak for a lot of Austinites when I say that resentment runs pretty high toward the people who come to this city for a music festival, the ROT rally, Texas Relays, or any of the other events held here, and act like it's their Vegas drugging weekend.

But it's profitable, so nobody does anything about it. It's all part of what made Austin "recession proof," remember?

And the club district around 6th street is simply too dense -- too many inebriated people walking around on a Saturday night, and too many drunk people on the road heading out of that part of town at 2 am. East to west it runs from IH-35 all the way past Congress, down into the old warehouse district (remember when those were actual warehouses?), and north along Red River (where recently that lunatic ran over and killed two people).

I guess it was all cute -- Austin's drug and alcohol culture -- when this was a small city of around 300,000 to 500,000 people, and most of the people who drank and did drugs here were benign local hippies. But now the hardcore partiers who visited Austin for SXSW a few years ago HAVE ALL MOVED HERE and it's ten steps closer to being a place I no longer like to live in.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave View Post
Well, preventing a 19 year old kid in UT's West Campus from getting alcohol is achievable.
Is it? Good luck keeping alcohol from 50,000 college kids.

Quote:
I guess it was all cute -- Austin's drug and alcohol culture -- when this was a small city of around 300,000 to 500,000 people, and most of the people who drank and did drugs here were benign local hippies. But now the hardcore partiers who visited Austin for SXSW a few years ago HAVE ALL MOVED HERE and it's ten steps closer to being a place I no longer like to live in.

What of it. There's lots of other places you could live. A dry county perhaps. With lots of police, ahole DAs, zoning laws and prisons for the marijuana smokers. Hell, the entire rest of the state, including but less so Austin, actually. Ever heard the term "Keep Austin weird" Yes, there are problems with young drunk drivers on the roads.

I've lived here since 1980. Yeah, rapid, unchecked growth sucks. Citizens, can be dangerous. But, it's called freedom. You were free to report that driver to police, on your phone. What do you want, besides roadblocks. Ban SXSW? Building roof monitors? youth prohibition, a noble goal. Completely unattainable. Not that any of that would have mattered with the idiot, in this case.

Whatever. /debate. Take it to City Hall, or your state representative. Late night Public transport is a more practical , and less socially destructive, than the usual punitive approach. I agree the city has the problems you speak of, we disagree, I guess culturally/ politically. Who knows. . .
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Is it? Good luck keeping alcohol from 50,000 college kids.

What of it. There's lots of other places you could live. A dry county perhaps. With lots of police, ahole DAs, zoning laws and prisons for the marijuana smokers. Hell, the entire rest of the state, including but less so Austin, actually. Ever heard the term "Keep Austin weird" Yes, there are problems with young drunk drivers on the roads.

I've lived here since 1980. Yeah, rapid, unchecked growth sucks. Citizens, can be dangerous. But, it's called freedom. You were free to report that driver to police, on your phone. What do you want, besides roadblocks. Ban SXSW? Building roof monitors? youth prohibition, a noble goal. Completely unattainable. Not that any of that would have mattered with the idiot, in this case.

Whatever. /debate. Take it to City Hall, or your state representative. Late night Public transport is a more practical , and less socially destructive, than the usual punitive approach. I agree the city has the problems you speak of, we disagree, I guess culturally/ politically. Who knows. . .

Well, there's freedom, and then there's I don't give a sh$t. There's now too much I don't give a sh$t in Austin. Even the disregard for traffic laws is astounding at times. I drive in other major cities, and I've never seen anything like it. They don't even enforce the laws against texting while driving. I see accidents from this pretty often, and near accidents just about every day.

As for the hit and run, I did report the driver to the police. I called them up on the spot. They did nothing. Wouldn't even look up the plate, drive to their address, and investigate. Nothing. And I actually saw the driver's face while she was beside me (she came up from behind and veered into my left rear quarter panel). She was so drunk that she was barely conscious. She didn't even hear me honk my horn repeatedly after she hit me. She just kept on going, veering left and right all over the road.

And I'm not moving to a dry county. I like Austin. It's my home. But laws exist for a reason -- ESPECIALLY laws that impact the safety of others. I obey traffic laws and laws regarding controlled substances, and I can expect the same of others. It's funny to suggest that this position is somehow extreme and unrealistic. It's a social contract, and like it or not we all have to follow it.

For my money, "Keep Austin Weird" doesn't equate to "Keep Austin High, Drunk, and Aloof." And I've heard a lot of Austinites say they wish SXSW would move to Vegas or Dallas. It's been taken over by Hollywood anyway, and has grown into something it was never intended to be.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

this walking piece of crap is going away for looooooong time :

20 charges added in South by Southwest fatal crash

20 charges added in South by Southwest fatal crash - Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A driver already charged with murder is facing 20 new charges of aggravated assault after he plowed into a crowd during the South by Southwest music festival in Austin.

Jail documents posted online Tuesday list the additional charges against 21-year-old Rashad Owens. An arrest report says Owens accelerated through a crowd, killing four people dead and leaving 17 injured.

He has already been charged with one count of capital murder in the March 13 incident.

Police say Owens was fleeing a patrolman and driving down a street that was closed for the music festival when the crash happened.

Each new charge is punishable by 99 years in prison. Owens is in jail with bail set at $3 million.

No new murder charges were listed, though more could be added later.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

I lived in austin, I see it differently..

"Cops chase drunk into a frenzy even though a known event was in the cars path... police chase gets up to 100 MPH causing wreck"
"Officer ordered to stand down yet directs car into crowds"

I mean the guy is going down for life, but really who cares. The real reason was the police caused this.

And yes this is shameful and a horror that could have been avoided when level heads prevail??
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

the idiot was stopped and -then- decided to run from the cops. tell me how the police stop that and how it's their fault the guy ran and drove thru the crowd. he made the decision to go into the crowd not the cops.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

In 2012, the Austin police reported 143 high-speed pursuits and 36 crashes. In 2013.
Thats what, every 4 chases resulting in a high speed crash or roughley a 25% chance of a high speed accident?
And the Austin police already facing many many lawsuits from excessive high speed chases?

A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report said that crashes as a result of police pursuits kill on average one person a day. Of those killed, at least a third are innocent bystanders, according to PursuitSafety, an non-profit group that advocates against high-speed chases.

When asked about the SXSW crash, Candy Priano, executive director of PursuitSAFETY issued this statement: "Drunken driving is a public safety issue by itself; but when combined with police chases, the risk to the innocent bystander is obviously increased. Initiating a pursuit to pull over an impaired driver in the name of making the roads safer frequently risks doing exactly the opposite, hastening rather than preventing tragedy. PursuitSAFETY is working on developing all possibilities of improving safety in such dangerous situations, including better training, procedures and technologies."
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

he was already pulled over.
then he decided to try and get away (because he was in a stolen vehicle and had other legal issues too) and deliberately drove into the crowd.
the police didn't make him do that, he did.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search