The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
R.I.P. gs Craig Zarkos aka "cajonezzz"
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

R.I.P. gs Craig Zarkos aka "cajonezzz"

I met Craig through gearslutz. He drove up from Oceanside once to meet me at a party and destroyed me with tequila. We traded drum samples, work, and geeked out online about anything attached to drumming.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family. He'll be missed.
Old 21st November 2013
Oh no! Terrible news. He was one of Gearslutz' longest-serving members. He hadn't been on in a while but he had a young family, no?

Awful news to start to my day. RIP Craig.
Old 21st November 2013
Sad news, he goes to a big drum kit in the sky

He will be greatly missed here.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, that is terrible news. Never met him face to face but he was always a gentleman on these boards and a terrific drummer (he posted some of his work here). I hope he has found peace from whatever caused him so much pain.
Old 22nd November 2013
Here for the gear

Craig was a good friend. You are correct. I miss him already. So sad...
Old 25th November 2013
Here for the gear

I'm at a complete lost for words. I don't think there was ever a session we worked on together when my jaw didn't drop to floor watching him work. Not only was he an incredible engineer, he was ten times that as a drummer, and just a flat out amazing, kind, and generous person. Personally, I owe him so much. He had such a huge influence on me as both a drummer and an engineer. To say he was simply a mentor would be a gross understatement. We really lost someone very special. Craig, you are deeply, deeply missed my friend. You'll live on through your amazing work.

Below are some clips of some sessions I was fortunate enough to be apart of. Watching him cut these tracks blew me away. He always blew me away. He made this stuff look easy. I hope nobody minds, I just feel that in a time like this, we should celebrate his talent. I'd like to celebrate his work. He played drums on the two tracks below. He made everyone around him look they knew what they where doing. It was impossible not to get great drum tones from him. Nothing in these tracks is edited. These where solid, live takes. I'm pretty sure he did both tracks in his sleep. Always amazing.
Attached Files

Treasure-MM1.m4a (9.24 MB, 1327 views)

Stop Stop [main]-Pf.m4a (3.70 MB, 1414 views)

Old 25th November 2013
mpr
Lives for gear

This is as sad as it gets for me...

A blindingly bright Soul has left us.

Craig was the kind of person who would always find one on one time for 'pep' talks to make sure you were doing ok. Always.

He couldn't help himself - he had to make sure that you (and everyone else) were doing ok before the session could begin. How rare is that? No one does that. Only Craig.

He helped me more than he will ever know... Roomates at 2 AES shows together and literally 1000 hours together POUNDING DRUMS TO TAPE at all hours - he was a MONSTER of a player, but above all, he was and will always be an inspiration as man to me.

I only wish I had a chance to let him know this. RIP Craig ;(

-Robb
Old 25th November 2013
sad news my thoughts go out to his family
Old 25th November 2013
Gear Nut

Sad News indeed, Did some gigs with him back in the day, always an outstanding drummer.
Also, went down to his studio a couple times when he had a place in Oceanside, Great engineer.
I moved from San Diego to Austin and stayed in contact actually through gearslutz. Always a kind and generous guy.

I heard that he was going through some tough times, but to this extent, I did not realize.

It's a shame and sad news indeed, I feel for his family.
Old 4th December 2013
Super Moderator

Man, this is the first time I'm hearing about this.

This is such terrible news.

Does anyone know how he died?

I'm so deeply sorry to hear about his passing.

Love and light!
Old 5th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Man, this is the first time I'm hearing about this.

This is such terrible news.

Does anyone know how he died?

I'm so deeply sorry to hear about his passing.

Love and light!
Tragically, he chose to take his own life
Old 5th December 2013
I'm really sorry to read that, had lots of cool chats with him ... R.I.P.
Old 6th December 2013
Super Moderator

That's such a shame.

He was an interesting guy; I wish I could have talked to him a bit more over these last months!

R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamrecords View Post
Tragically, he chose to take his own life
Old 6th December 2013
Led
Lives for gear

Man, he was a good one. I only knew him on here, but a downer all the same. One of the originals hey. Cheers Cajon...
Old 28th May 2015
Lives for gear

Ugh

Just found out about this when I was checking up on him. R.I.P., brother, and all the love in the world to your family. I hope you all are finding some way to get through this. I know it's been a minute, but this kinda thing goes on a while. Love to all of ya. I'm blessed to have hung out with ya and experienced your mad talent. This is truly tragic news in my day. Sadness. I'll listen to some of your tracks to celebrate the good things.
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

So sad to read this. Rest in Peace dear Craig x
Old 6th February 2016
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
I know it's been a minute, but this kinda thing goes on a while. Love to all of ya. I'm blessed to have hung out with ya and experienced your mad talent. This is truly tragic news in my day. Sadness. I'll listen to some of your tracks to celebrate the good things.
It's been over 2 years now and I still find myself thinking about him constantly. He was such a genuinely good hearted guy, unknowingly inspiring everyone around him to be better. Sounds corny, but with Craig it was true.

I've been going thru some of his session files these last few weeks, attempting to create a Zarkos loop archive for future use, and I am reminded of how good a drummer he was. If he played it, it was intended. He really never made mistakes. He would give you 3 to 5 solid takes of the tune, come into the CR and say 'I gave you some options to work with.'

He was soooo good, and so humble about it. It hurts.
Old 27th April 2016

Think about Craig all the time still too. Chatted to him pretty much every day for years. Still so sad.
Old 21st November 2016
Lives for gear

a toast to cajonezzz...
Old 21st November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
a toast to cajonezzz...
Here's to you my friend.
Old 22nd November 2016
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
a toast to cajonezzz...
Indeed
Old 22nd November 2016
Super Moderator

Love & light...
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear

5 years now.

☹️
Old 3rd February 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basssean SD View Post
5 years now.

☹️
Ugh, I am still haunted by his personality. I can see and hear him talking right to my face with endless enthusiasm. Ruins me. :(
Old 3rd February 2019
Deleted 2915a84
You guys really loved him.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

He must have been a great man indeed.

May his memory live long!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search