The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Guru

Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies

R.I.P Syd

LONDON - Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.
Old 11th July 2006
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Now he's dead we'll see the respect that he was due from everyone.

A cautionary tale for us all.

RIP
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Now everyone go buy a copy of Opal. One-of-a-kind.

The browser headline kind of freaks me out, though. Yahoo should really check this stuff before it goes out.
Attached Thumbnails
Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies-picture-8.jpg  
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Addict

Rest in Peace Syd, you were a genius. A little too much LSD there buddy, but still a genius. Without you founding pink floyd, I probably wouldn't be as much into music as I am. Thank you.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

definitely one of the most original and influential musician of the most influential decade...
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

ah, shine on, shine on, Rog. thanks for what you gave and hope you left us with peace in your mind.
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Nut

Man. He was a good one. When I discovered his music, it was a real eye-opener. I don't think there have been too many songwriters with as original a pop songwriting style as Syd had, especially on those early singles and Piper. Sad how he got lost along the way, though.

I'm glad Floyd was able to continue without him for so many years, and perhaps his passing will inspire the other four to forget their differences and come together to celebrate their music--made both with and without Syd--again.

Goodbye, Syd

Old 11th July 2006
Gear Maniac

"witness the man who raged at the wall as he wrote his question to heaven"

Shine on Syd!
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo
Too bad that whole thing happened to him and he never really made it back, like Brian Wilson did.

That's just plain bad, but here's one that's on the mark:
Now that's funny....heh ..heh ... (Bush)
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Another bummer. Even more elusive than a reunion with Waters would have been a reunion with Barrett. Never would have happened, but always fun to think about.

Which one was Pink? It was Syd.

Coincedence, two days ago I was playing Arnold Layne on the accoustic guitar. I have been a fan since I was 14, always loved the disturbed genius.

I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket a bell and rings and things to make it look good.

Rest in Peace.

Old 11th July 2006
Gear Nut

Syd Barrett
"Dark Globe"
The Madcap Laughs

Oh where are you now
pussy willow that smiled on this leaf?
When I was alone you promised the stone from your heart
my head kissed the ground
I was half the way down, treading the sand
please, please, lift a hand
I'm only a person whose armbands beat
on his hands, hang tall
won't you miss me?
Wouldn't you miss me at all?

The poppy birds way
swing twigs coffee brands around
brandish her wand with a feathery tongue
my head kissed the ground
I was half the way down, treading the sand
please, please, please lift the hand
I'm only a person with eskimo chain
I tattooed my brain all the way...
Won't you miss me?
Wouldn't you miss me at all

No doubt Roger drew quite a bit of his melodic and vocal style from Syd. Take a listen to this Syd song and check it out...
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Sky

No doubt Roger drew quite a bit of his melodic and vocal style from Syd. Take a listen to this Syd song and check it out...
Yeah, I love that song. I believe Roger Waters has always mentioned Syd as a big influence.
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Addict

I love Syd Barret.

However, he isn't really the founding member of The Pink Floyd Sound. If anyone is the founder, it's Peter Jenner.

And as much as I love Syd's songwriting, I don't think it constitutes Pink Floyd, nor is he responsible for the success of Pink Floyd. Dave, Roger, Rick, and Nick deserve all the credit. Roger, Rick & Nick were there before Syd came along, and after Syd's downward spiral.

Piper at the Gates IS Pink Floyd, but how many of us oustide of late 60's UK would even know about Pink Floyd had they continued writing those types of songs? The question is debatable.

I just don't want Syd's death to turn him into something that he wasn't. He was a great pop songwriter and everybody that knew him said he was an amazing person as well.

In my opinion, David Gilmour was the key to Pink Floyd's success. His songwriting, his vocals that *perfectly* contrast Waters' vocals, and his transcendent leads were the wheels on Pink Floyd's vehicle.

Roger Waters has been known for insisting that the vocals & lyrical content are the most important aspect of their work, however he has also said something like "If the lyrics were all that mattered, people would be doing sold-out spoken word tours".

I think he also could have said 'If I didn't have David Gilmour in Pink Floyd, not nearly as many people would care what I'm doing.' And I think this was demonstrated on The Final Cut, and conversely on the post-Waters' albums Momentary Lapse of Reason and the Division Bell.

Rant over. Back to Syd Appreciation!
Anyone who hasn't heard Piper at the Gates of Dawn or Syd's solo albums should seek them out immediately.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Shine on, you Crazy Diamond!!!

RIP Syd.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

those first two PF lps will always be my favorites.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

"Oh mother, tell me more...."
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Its hard to be shocked. Syd died a long time ago. Heaven will be a little stranger tonight. RIP.
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogWai
Its hard to be shocked. Syd died a long time ago. Heaven will be a little stranger tonight. RIP.
Exactly! I don't know how you managed to find those words, but that is spot on.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

"I've got a cloak, it's a bit of a joke....."

I'd forgotten HOW good
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Maniac

I am a big fan.The solo work and the stuff he did with Floyd is strange and beautiful. He was a true original and his influence will continue to grow.

He's still laughing, somewhere...

Godspeed Roger/ Syd

-Vari-Mu
Old 11th July 2006
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guid0

Shine on Syd!

Shine on you crazy diamond

Syd's flying now, for real heh
Old 11th July 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogWai
Mmmm.

That's pretty right on.

To be honest I was kinda suprised that they found his body & someone knew who he was! I thought he had all but fallen off the planet years ago.

RIP.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Syd's travelling at interstellar overdrive now...

"Jupiter and Saturn Oberon Miranda
And Titania Neptune Titan
Stars can frighten..." - Astronomy Domine

I hope there is no more fear, Syd.
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour
definitely one of the most original and influential musician of the most influential decade...

Yes he Taught John Lennon and Brian wilson everything I'm sure

duh
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
Yes he Taught John Lennon and Brian wilson everything I'm sure

duh

????

Pink Floyd is up there with the most influencial bands of all time. Syd Barrett was the founder and principal songwriter. He had a HUGE influence on their later sound.

The first Floyd album came out in 1967, Beach Boys and the Beatles were before.

Your comment makes no sense, except to insult someone. It's like saying Barrett had no influence on Motzart.

You don't have to like him, just realize others do.
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Head

I've read stories about Piper and Sgt. Pepper being recorded at the same time at Abbey Road. It was also implied that they kind of ripped each other off on some ideas while they were recording. It's not entirely outrageous to say that they may have influenced each other at times. Obviously the Beatles came first, but it doesn't mean that they didn't pull ideas from the Floyd.

Matt
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

R.I.P.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
????

Pink Floyd is up there with the most influencial bands of all time. Syd Barrett was the founder and principal songwriter. He had a HUGE influence on their later sound.

The first Floyd album came out in 1967, Beach Boys and the Beatles were before.

Your comment makes no sense, except to insult someone. It's like saying Barrett had no influence on Motzart.

You don't have to like him, just realize others do.

Pink Floyd was one of the most influencial bands of all time. But not until DSOTM
Face it those early cd's are boring. And Syd's life was only glorified due to his LCD
and drug addictions.

Maybe he was influential, But he sure as hell didn't influence Me. And I can't think of one successful recording he has influenced in the last 35 years if he even influenced any before then.

sorry to offend you but I don't think he was that great. Gilmore was much much better and more influential and more original

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search