Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dies
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Linking threads...
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
Pink Floyd was one of the most influencial bands of all time. But not until DSOTM
Face it those early cd's are boring. And Syd's life was only glorified due to his LCD
and drug addictions.

Maybe he was influential, But he sure as hell didn't influence Me. And I can't think of one successful recording he has influenced in the last 35 years if he even influenced any before then.

sorry to offend you but I don't think he was that great. Gilmore was much much better and more influential and more original
I sort of agree. Yet he had a BIG influence on the path that Pink Floyd would take. The tone of the Floyd was already set before Gilmour joined them, just needed refinement and the skills (vocal and guitar) that he would bring to the table. Would all of this come together if not for Syd's vision? I'm not so sure. The talents of Roger, David, Nick, and Rick would certainly have surfaced in one form or another, they are all monster talents in their own rights, but we may have never had the awesomeness known as Floyd.

http://www.ric323.com/pf-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5781
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Pink Floyd was one of the most influencial bands of all time. But not until DSOTM
Face it those early cd's are boring.
And they are not all boring. Meddle and Obsured By Clouds both predate DSOTM and they are anything but boring.
Old 13th July 2006
Syd Barrett died on the 7 of July

Second Pink Floyd Guitarist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett

RIP Syd
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes he Taught John Lennon and Brian wilson everything I'm sure

duh
Who said this??? In the view of you previous posts I can see how great is your knowledge of 20th century music...So i'm not going to argue.

And Syd played a telecaster...

Now go and rehearse your wok n' wool cliches on your Les Paul.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Face it those early cd's are boring. And Syd's life was only glorified due to his LCD
and drug addictions.

This should be fun

FWIW/IMO/IDGASWYT

Wish You Were Here was their "best" album.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Of course, the classic rock radio stations around here played little blocks of Syd's music as a tribute... but as there is no such thing as radio-friendly Syd Barrett music, it all seemed very surreal. I imagine the programmers who bring us the same mega-rock hits over and over again were squirming, grinning and bearing having to air Syd's music while hoping listeners wouldn't turn the dial.

I bet they're glad that's over with! Now... back to Layla!
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
...Syd's life was only glorified due to his LCD
and drug addictions.
Fascinating! I didn't know Syd was into computers, too! Allen, it looks like you've hit on a winning combination. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
And Syd's life was only glorified due to his drug addictions.

sorry to offend you but I don't think he was that great. Gilmore was much much better and more influential and more original
Mate - I think this thread is about showing respect and paying tribute to a person who just passed away. If you've got nothing positive to say then maybe don't say anything at all right now.

RIP
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Some people are like shooting stars, a moment of great beauty and strength and then they burn out.

Syd Barrett will always be a tremendous influence musically for his contrubutions which all happened within 2 years or so. The eary singles and 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn'.

Jimi Hendrix was similar and so was Charlie Parker, they spent but a few years in the spotlight but their influence is still huge.
We can argue forever about 'what if' or 'what yould he do today' but maybe it had to happen the way it did.
In a lot of ways, the world hasn't yet caught up with an artist like Hendrix and so his influence will probably even increase in the future.

Check out Barrett's guitar work on 'Interstellar Overdrive', its mind-blowing and TOTALLY original.

'Piper at the gates of dawn' is one of my absolute faves, a wonder of an album.

RIP Syd.
Old 13th July 2006
dbm
Lives for gear

Pink Floyd would not have been what they were without any of the people discussed.

Rest in Peace Syd Barret.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Mr. Syd Barret was and will be inspiration for many Artist.
R.I.P.
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Guru

Very cool read!

My lovably ordinary brother Syd
Quote:
The ‘crazy diamond’ founder of Pink Floyd was no acid casualty or recluse. He loved art and DIY, his sister Rosemary tells his biographer Tim Willis in her first interview for 30 years
When the death of 60-year-old Roger “Syd” Barrett was announced on Tuesday, the media raised an astonishing last hurrah for the founder of Pink Floyd, the “crazy diamond” who had shunned the public gaze for decades.

The descriptions of him as a “mad genius”, “recluse” and “acid casualty” were far off the mark, however, according to his sister Rosemary.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

All these guys are dying young. I think its safe to say eating acid for breakfast instead of corn flakes takes care of the trick.
Old 3rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Not meaning to be a thread necro, but I'm surprised that there were no replies/responses to this news on GS (long before I joined, but a big fan of early PF)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
and drug addictions.

Maybe he was influential, But he sure as hell didn't influence Me. And I can't think of one successful recording he has influenced in the last 35 years if he even influenced any before then.

Well you know what they say about opinions..?

I think Syd was awesome. I like Gilmour, but Barrett was much more of an innovator.

Last edited by ignorantape; 1 week ago at 01:45 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
If I'm not mistaken they always paid Syd's share of royalties anything they ever did whether he was on them or not. That tells you something about what they thought and really nothing else matters...... Respect.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
So 2012 replies to 2006, and 2019 replies to 2012. I’m really excited about living long enough to read what the distant future has to say on this subject.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
So 2012 replies to 2006, and 2019 replies to 2012. I’m really excited about living long enough to read what the distant future has to say on this subject.
Dont worry, theyre negotiating for Syd's hologram to make an appearance at Coachella next year.

2006 folks, if yr gonna harp on poor Roger and claim that elevator muzak guy was better, at least learn to spell the name GilmOUR properly jeez.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search