The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Captain Beefheart RIP Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Captain Beefheart RIP

It looks like we've lost another one of the innovators of rock music. The Captain died of complications of MS. His 4&1/2 octave range voice is now silent.

Rest In Peace Captain.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

what!?!
Crap.... sad...
Rest in Peace.

Candle shy, candle weep
Fly, hot candle, leap
Candle roll and fold in ball
Candle large, candle small
Your threads of fire burning up,
Your feathers of fire winning night
And turning light, and turning light
Light deepest night for me, and steer for me
Spin and spin
Then and then
When I’m dancing with my love the shadows flicker up above
Up above the shadows do the Candle Mambo
Candle roll and fold in ball
Candle blur, candle whir
Candle her, candle her
While your lights are spinning round,
Your feathers of fire winning night
And turning light, and turning light
Candle crack, candle break (my favorite line for some reason,afd)
Correct the night’s mistake
When I’m dancing with my love
The shadows flicker up above
Up above, the shadows do the Candle Mambo

Transcribed by Richard Hibbert.
Old 18th December 2010
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

I had the pleasure of hearing him at the Alexandria Roller Rink.

Uniquely gifted!

Sorry to hear the news.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut
I guess I'll be having ice cream for crow tonight...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow...one of my guys..didn't know he was having these troubles.

Saw him in 82 or so at a small club called Tut's in Chicago..I'll never forget it..amazing. Still cannot figure out how that band did what they do'd. Whacked and so TIGHT all the way through. If there was mesmerizing, this was it.

Probably the record I go back to most is Zappa with Beefheart, Bongo Fury.

Don was the man in many different mediums.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

R.I.P. Cap'n.

You were so effing talented and free I could barely get my mind around it.

Your influence on me, and so many others, is unmeasurable.

I don't know what else to say.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

sad news. Brilliant and crazy in equal measures - a true innovator

RIP
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah man, one of my all time favorites. That sucks to hear.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Makes me want to roller skate in a buffalo herd.

Old 18th December 2010
This really kicks the pins out from under me but we all have our time. Dang. This is really hard for me.

RIP, Mr Van Vliet. I love ya, ya big dummy.

AP: Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart, dead at 69
LA Weekly: Top 14 Reasons Why Captain Beefheart Was a True American Genius
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Captain's 10 Commandments for Guitarists:

1. LISTEN TO THE BIRDS That's where all the music comes from. Birds know everything about how it should sound and where that sound should come from. And watch hummingbirds. They fly really fast, but a lot of times they aren't going anywhere.

2. YOUR GUITAR IS NOT REALLY A GUITAR Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over. A guitar is also a fishing rod. If you're good, you'll land a big one.

3. PRACTICE IN FRONT OF A BUSH Wait until the moon is out, then go outside, eat a multi-grained bread and play your guitar to a bush. If the bush doesn't shake, eat another piece of bread.

4. WALK WITH THE DEVIL Old delta blues players referred to amplifiers as the "devil box." And they were right. You have to be an equal opportunity employer in terms of who you're bringing over from the other side. Electricity attracts demons and devils. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

5. IF YOU'RE GUILTY OF THINKING, YOU'RE OUT If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something that is fur bearing.

6. NEVER POINT YOUR GUITAR AT ANYONE Your instrument has more power than lightning. Just hit a big chord, then run outside to hear it. But make sure you are not standing in an open field.

7. ALWAYS CARRY YOUR CHURCH KEY You must carry your key and use it when called upon. That's your part of the bargain. Like One String Sam. He was a Detroit street musician in the fifties who played a homemade instrument. His song "I Need A Hundred Dollars" is warm pie. Another church key holder is Hubert Sumlin, Howlin' Wolf's guitar player. He just stands there like the Statue of Liberty making you want to look up her dress to see how he's doing it.

8. DON'T WIPE THE SWEAT OFF YOUR INSTRUMENT You need that stink on there. Then you have to get that stink onto your music.

9. KEEP YOUR GUITAR IN A DARK PLACE When you're not playing your guitar, cover it and keep it in a dark place. If you don't play your guitar for more than a day, be sure to put a saucer of water in with it.

10. YOU GOTTA HAVE A HOOD FOR YOUR ENGINE Wear a hat when you play and keep that hat on. A hat is a pressure cooker. If you have a roof on your house the hot air can't escape. Even a lima bean has to have a wet paper towel around it to make it grow.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 18th December 2010
Captain Beefheart RIP

Oh Captain, my captain...
R.I.P
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

His health had been deteriorating for many years. Still, it is a shock to hear he is gone.

An earlier thread about Mr. Van Vliet, here.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

RIP, Sir Captain!!!!
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Its upsetting when people pass away, but I can't go on the record fast enough saying his music was horrible, and trash.

RIP/
That's pretty cruel, and uncalled-for. Beefheart's music had a profound impact and influence on me and many other musicians I know. It's OK not to like it, but that doesn't make it horrible and/or trash. Nobody is forcing you to listen to it, and it was really unkind to those of us grieving the Captain's passing to make that comment.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lucid tentacles test 'n sleeved
'n joined 'n jointed jade pointed
Diamond back patterns
Neon meate dream of a octafish
Artifact on rose petals

'n flesh petals 'n pots
Fack 'n feast 'n tubes tubs bulbs
In jest incest injest injust in feast incest
'n specks 'n speckled speckled
Speckled speculation

Fedlocks waddlin' feast
Archaic faces frenzy
Ceramic fists artificial deceased

'n cists rancid buds burst
Dank drum 'n dung dust
Meate rose 'n hairs
Meaty meate rose 'n hairs
Meaty dream wet meate
Limp damp rows

Peeled 'n felt fields 'n belts
Impaled on 'n daeman
Mucus mules

Twot trot tra la tra la
Tra la tra la tra la

Whale bone fields 'n belts
Whale bone farmhouse

Cavorts girdled 'n latters uh lite
Cavorts girdled 'n latters uh lite

Uh dipped amidst
Squirmin' serum 'n semen 'n syrup 'n semen
'n serum
Stirrupped in syrup

Neon meate dream of a octafish
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

The Captain was very entertaining, and unique. Never would have made it these days. Sorry to see you go.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAndImprov View Post
That's pretty cruel, and uncalled-for. Beefheart's music had a profound impact and influence on me and many other musicians I know. It's OK not to like it, but that doesn't make it horrible and/or trash. Nobody is forcing you to listen to it, and it was really unkind to those of us grieving the Captain's passing to make that comment.
ehh we are all food for the conquering worm...

if the Wine you drink, the Lip you press,
End in the Nothing all Things end in — Yes —
Then fancy while Thou art, Thou art but what
Thou shalt be — Nothing — Thou shalt not be less.

A more literal translation could read:

If with wine you are drunk be happy,
If seated with a moon-faced (beautiful), be happy,
Since the end purpose of the universe is nothing-ness;
Hence picture your nothing-ness, then while you are, be happy!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Captain Beefheart RIP

Dachau blues :/
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Her eyes are a blue million miles

I look at her and she looks at me
In her eyes I see the sea
I can't see what she sees in a man like me
She says she loves me

Her eyes
Her eyes

Far as I can see
She loves me

Her eyes
Her eyes

Far as I can see
She loves me

I look at her and she looks at me
In her eyes I see the sea
I can't see what she sees in a man like me
She says she loves me

Her eyes
Her eyes
Her eyes are a blue million miles.

R.I.P
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its upsetting when people pass away, but I can't go on the record fast enough saying his music was horrible, and trash.
Nah. The man was a genius.

RIP dear Captain.
Old 18th December 2010
RIP to the DON
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

RIP Captain.

Love the commandments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post

1. LISTEN TO THE BIRDS That's where all the music comes from. Birds know everything about how it should sound and where that sound should come from. And watch hummingbirds. They fly really fast, but a lot of times they aren't going anywhere.

2. YOUR GUITAR IS NOT REALLY A GUITAR Your guitar is a divining rod. Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over. A guitar is also a fishing rod. If you're good, you'll land a big one.

3. PRACTICE IN FRONT OF A BUSH Wait until the moon is out, then go outside, eat a multi-grained bread and play your guitar to a bush. If the bush doesn't shake, eat another piece of bread.

4. WALK WITH THE DEVIL Old delta blues players referred to amplifiers as the "devil box." And they were right. You have to be an equal opportunity employer in terms of who you're bringing over from the other side. Electricity attracts demons and devils. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

5. IF YOU'RE GUILTY OF THINKING, YOU'RE OUT If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something that is fur bearing.

6. NEVER POINT YOUR GUITAR AT ANYONE Your instrument has more power than lightning. Just hit a big chord, then run outside to hear it. But make sure you are not standing in an open field.

7. ALWAYS CARRY YOUR CHURCH KEY You must carry your key and use it when called upon. That's your part of the bargain. Like One String Sam. He was a Detroit street musician in the fifties who played a homemade instrument. His song "I Need A Hundred Dollars" is warm pie. Another church key holder is Hubert Sumlin, Howlin' Wolf's guitar player. He just stands there like the Statue of Liberty making you want to look up her dress to see how he's doing it.

8. DON'T WIPE THE SWEAT OFF YOUR INSTRUMENT You need that stink on there. Then you have to get that stink onto your music.

9. KEEP YOUR GUITAR IN A DARK PLACE When you're not playing your guitar, cover it and keep it in a dark place. If you don't play your guitar for more than a day, be sure to put a saucer of water in with it.

10. YOU GOTTA HAVE A HOOD FOR YOUR ENGINE Wear a hat when you play and keep that hat on. A hat is a pressure cooker. If you have a roof on your house the hot air can't escape. Even a lima bean has to have a wet paper towel around it to make it grow.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
.......are now hanging on the wall behind me.

R.I.P.

As the old guard falls there is nothing for us to do but go forth into the fray.
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:

RIP/
phew, you made it just in time - the records shall show you are an asshole

Farewell to a true legend.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have nothing but the highest respect for this man.

His music amazing and courageous! He was mentor to my mentors.

Here's to Harry and Irene, who ran a canteen...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

RIP Don,
a painting can only look you in the face.
a song can't lie.
you really showed us,
kept us on the path.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

RIP/
Classy.

Of course, there's always an urgent time-imperative to rubbish the thing someone was best known for the second you hear they've died.

Yeah, the Captain's music is inevitably gonna divide opinion but is this really the place?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

dfegad
Quote:

RIP/

You are a ^%&^%^&U$%&ITYjhghj89o70&*^&%&^%&^FYR&R%&^%& !!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search