The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Captain Beefheart RIP Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
Beefheart:
because there aint no f*@king money in painting kid!
It kind of flipped the other way around there in the end huh? So did he ultimately drop out of music because of his MS? I wonder what year he was diagnosed? I would imagine he knew about it for a long time.
Old 18th December 2010
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Batchainpuller78's Avatar
 

Old 18th December 2010
  #63
Avant-garde rocker 'Captain Beefheart' dead at 69
(AFP)



WASHINGTON — Don Van Vliet, an avant-garde rocker who performed under the name "Captain Beefheart" and whose artistic influence dwarfed his popular appeal, has died at the age of 69.
Van Vliet died early Friday in northern California following a long battle with multiple sclerosis, according to the Michael Werner Art Gallery, which exhibited his abstract paintings after he left music in the early 1980s.
As the gravel-voiced Captain Beefheart, Van Vliet adopted the wail of blues legend Howlin' Wolf and melded jazz, blues and rock into a surreal mix that was never widely popular but inspired scores of later artists.
The most famous and influential of his 12 studio albums was 1969's "Trout Mask Replica," which was produced by Frank Zappa, who Van Vliet befriended in high school.
Rolling Stone magazine rated it number 58 in its "500 Greatest Albums of All Time," and Van Vliet has been cited as an influence on Tom Waits, PJ Harvey, Franz Ferdinand, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Talking Heads.
"He was like the scout on a wagon train," Waits told the Los Angeles Times on Friday.
"He was the one who goes ahead and shows the way.... He drew in the air with a burnt stick. He described the indescribable. He's an underground stream and a big yellow blimp."
Van Vliet was a notoriously demanding bandleader, and several musicians circulated through Captain Beefheart's Magic Band from the mid 1960s until the early 1980s.
For "Trout Mask Replica" he was said to have confined band members to a house for months on end and given them names like Zoot Horn Rollo and the Mascara Snake, in an atmosphere some of them later described as "cult-like."
"If it had been produced by any professional, famous producer... there could have been a number of suicides involved," Zappa said later, according to the BBC.
By the early 1980s Van Vliet had grown frustrated with the collaborative aspect of the music industry and left it to focus full-time on a successful career in abstract painting in which his works fetched high prices.
"Part of why I stopped doing music was because it was too hard to control the other people I needed to play the stuff, and I'd had enough animal training," he told the Los Angeles Times in 1990.
"When it comes to art, I have a real streak of fascism. I want it to be exactly the way I conceive it, and if one line is changed it's like, 'Hey, the hell with it, I don't need it.'"
Old 19th December 2010
  #64
Lives for gear
 
sound_music's Avatar
 

put on trout mask replica this morning when i heard the news; listened to a few faves then played through all four sides in the backgroud while i was doing other stuff. as i was standing in the elevator later in the day, going down and heading out into the real world, i had a thought about how chaotic and beautiful captain beefhart saw the world he lived in. i stepped out of the elevator door and my world seemed disappointing somehow! too orderly, or logical, or something... way less fun than his anyway. RIP el capitane.

ps - neon meate dream of a octafish
Old 19th December 2010
  #65
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
It kind of flipped the other way around there in the end huh? So did he ultimately drop out of music because of his MS? I wonder what year he was diagnosed? I would imagine he knew about it for a long time.
I think he went back to painting because it was always his first love and it was easier than starving his band in a shack :D.

not sure when he was diagnosed.

EDIT: he was a true synesthetician -
Harry Irene were a couple that ran a canteen. Ran a canteen. Ran a canteen
Old 19th December 2010
  #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
It kind of flipped the other way around there in the end huh? So did he ultimately drop out of music because of his MS? I wonder what year he was diagnosed? I would imagine he knew about it for a long time.
He and Zappa actually painted as teenagers, as I understand it.

As far as the MS, it was privately rumored a while before it was said aloud in the greater Beefheart community.

I went to a large show of his paintings (at a big, trendy gallery in the West LA/Santa Monica part of the world) around '88 or '89 and he was in a wheelchair and looked thin then. I think a lot of folks didn't recognize him. He had a floppy hat (but that's kind of a signature) and dark sunglasses and looked thin and somewhat frail.

I wasn't even sure it was the Captain, because when I saw him during what became his last series of LA shows not that many years before, he had looked pretty healthy, but I talked to a fellow there who knew him from Lancaster when they were kids who indeed confirmed the frail guy in the wheelchair was Don.

But it was years before I saw people actually talking about it. I think there was a real sense of respect for his privacy.


But, given the givens, I think the fact that he persevered as an artist was a real triumph of creative spirit.

I also had to smile a little at the fact that he and his wife were married 40 years. Kind out of stereotype for the outsider/misunderstood artist.
Old 19th December 2010
  #67
Lives for gear
 
tiny333's Avatar
 

Angry FUK

ahh ****











he was the best what can you say to that ?

R.I.P

Last edited by tiny333; 19th December 2010 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: ?
Old 19th December 2010
  #68
Lives for gear
 
tiny333's Avatar
 

Cool

why dont my tube posts work ?

oh yes

im a ****ing ******

ok

stand down

THE CAMEL WORE A NIGHTY

heh
Old 19th December 2010
  #69
Lives for gear
 
blim's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny333 View Post
why dont my tube posts work ?

oh yes

im a ****ing ******
I'm not exactly sure why, but this made me laugh louder than I had in quite a while.
Old 19th December 2010
  #71
I'd never just want to do what everybody else did. I'd be contributing to the sameness of everything.
-Don Van Vliet
Old 19th December 2010
  #72
Gear Addict
 
capnreverb's Avatar
 

and, the paintings...
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Beefheart RIP-3.jpg   Captain Beefheart RIP-4.jpg   Captain Beefheart RIP-137.jpg   Captain Beefheart RIP-945.jpg   Captain Beefheart RIP-82659.jpg  

Captain Beefheart RIP-edpaint.jpg  
Attached Images
Captain Beefheart RIP-chinapig-745102.jpg 
Old 19th December 2010
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Denny C's Avatar
R.I.P. Condolences to his family, very talented.
Old 19th December 2010
  #74
Lives for gear
 
T'Mershi Duween's Avatar
 

Simpsons' creator Matt Groening tells of listening to Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica at the age of 15 and thinking "that it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. I said to myself, they're not even trying! It was just a sloppy cacophony. Then I listened to it a couple more times, because I couldn't believe Frank Zappa could do this to me - and because a double album cost a lot of money. About the third time, I realized they were doing it on purpose; they meant it to sound exactly this way. About the sixth or seventh time, it clicked in, and I thought it was the greatest album I'd ever heard."


(Halloween, are you trying to come off as a clueless schmuck? You are truly one of those people that will never get it. About anything...)



And most on here (myself included!) will never have a band that looks this cool...






Now gonna go back to mourning/celebrating the great Captain... heh



"Old woman sweat, young girl glisten..."
--- Captain Beefheart
Old 19th December 2010
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Barish's Avatar
The Muffin' Man is gone...
Old 20th December 2010
  #76
Lives for gear
 
T'Mershi Duween's Avatar
 

Blue, yellow, red, green clocks
Her heart pumps, stops, starts, plays, drops
Eyes roll
Rocks back ‘n forth
She played through the sun stuck out her tongue
Stood on each of three decals
She licked each one...

--- Don Van Vliet































Old 20th December 2010
  #77
Gear Head
 

First seen the Capitan Beefheart & the Magic Band in Detroit in 1971 and been a fan since, Havin; many talks with him through the years out at the Lamp Lighter in Lancaster, when he lived out in the desert, One of the most greatest people I've know, and always had time to talk to people if they listen, and I mean this guy could talk while always drawing on something
Very sad to hear the news
RIP DON
Old 20th December 2010
  #78
Gear Maniac
 
Geissler's Avatar
The mascara snake, fast and bulbous - tight also.

RIP.
Old 20th December 2010
  #79
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

"When you first came round I was sad
My head hung down I felt really bad
Now I'm glad, glad about the good times that we've had "

uhhh oooo ooooo......
Old 3rd January 2011
  #80
r.i.p

captain beefheart transformed words into music and art...maybe the greatest subliminal influence on myself....r.i.p
Old 3rd January 2011
  #81
Gear Addict
 
capnreverb's Avatar
 

For those that may be interested, I will be hosting a Beefheart tribute radio show with my bandmate Victor Delorenzo of the Violent Femmes this Sunday from 6-9 pm cst. The station is 91.7 WMSE here in Milwaukee. It is streamed live at WMSE 91.7FM | Frontier Radio and will be archived there for a few years as well. Three hours of Captain Beefheart love.
Old 9th January 2011
  #82
Gear Addict
 
capnreverb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
For those that may be interested, I will be hosting a Beefheart tribute radio show with my bandmate Victor Delorenzo of the Violent Femmes this Sunday from 6-9 pm cst. The station is 91.7 WMSE here in Milwaukee. It is streamed live at WMSE 91.7FM | Frontier Radio and will be archived there for a few years as well. Three hours of Captain Beefheart love.
Just a friendly reminder to those that may have missed the invite.
Old 10th January 2011
  #83
Gear Nut
 
DonM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
Just a friendly reminder to those that may have missed the invite.
When Trout Mask Replica came out, it was the second LP that I ever purchased.

Beefheart's work doesn't live on a plane that can be commented on like other pop art. In other words you can't vote for it or against it though you may try - you'll discover your vote doesn't count

Thanks for the reminder on the broadcast - been listening to it.

Best all

-D
Old 10th January 2011
  #84
finally... now I can stop being scared!!

I have all his albums and have a love hate relationship with how creepy he is...

used to always tease my girlfriend about turing into him and wanting 'some'. It terrified her!

Not many people can get to the gut like him. Not many people played the blues that dirty. I can't think of anyone that did..

Who played the blues dirtier?
Old 10th January 2011
  #85
"In the studio, he refused to wear phones, syncing his vocals with the band only via the faint leakage through the thick plate glass."

Top 14 Reasons Why Captain Beefheart Was a True American Genius - Kansas City Music - Wayward Blog
Old 10th January 2011
  #86
Lives for gear
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

.
...and the horse compared his hooves.
.
Old 10th January 2011
  #87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
.
...and the horse compared his hooves.
.
yikes! I quoted that in class once and the teacher commented on how smart I was!!!
Old 10th January 2011
  #88
Gear Head
 
Hollywoods's Avatar
 

Interview with the Captain on Letterman.
YouTube - Beefheart on Letterman
Old 10th January 2011
  #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoods View Post
Interview with the Captain on Letterman.
YouTube - Beefheart on Letterman
I'd never seen that - thanks!

.
Old 15th January 2011
  #90
Lives for gear
 
Batchainpuller78's Avatar
 

Happy Birthday Don!!!

69 was the right number I guess
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PlugHead / So much gear, so little time
47
firby / So much gear, so little time
28
Vandergraf / The Moan Zone
2
spunkadellic / The Moan Zone
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump