The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Captain Beefheart RIP Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
Classy.

Of course, there's always an urgent time-imperative to rubbish the thing someone was best known for the second you hear they've died.

Yeah, the Captain's music is inevitably gonna divide opinion but is this really the place?
Im a huge beefheart fan. I find nothing wrong with his statement, in fact i like it. He definitely released some rubbish along with the genius and he'd be the first to agree with that.

His music has always utterly divided people even those with most developed and eclectic taste and brought out the fiercest of emotions..it would be really boring just to read about how everyone thinks how incredibly amazing he was..like everyone says when someone dies. That would be so unfitting for The captain.

RIP.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Its upsetting when people pass away, but I can't go on the record fast enough saying his music was horrible, and trash.

RIP/
There are some times when it's best to keep your opinion to yourself.
This was on of them.

Hats off to you Captain.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Beefheart and Sun RA. 2 beautiful otherworldly scoundrels.

God Bless Don Van Vliet and may his remains be interred in the Smithsonian. He may well laugh at the paradox.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Very sad news. A true musical innovator. Looks like a day of Beefheart is on the cards!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its upsetting when people pass away, but I can't go on the record fast enough saying his music was horrible, and trash.
Name your favorite music.

- c
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

"She always shows up when I'm up
but she never shows up when I'm down..."

Wild and engaging musical poetry - Don Van Vliet was truly one of a kind.

How wonderful the Captains recordings are left for us to enjoy!

::
Mads
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

RIP/
If you're gonna talk ill of the dead, then the dead will talk ill of you.

Come on Halloween, grow a soul
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just past the interview...

YouTube - Captain Beefheart - Upon the my oh my
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Dudes, Im sure as well we don't need to waste our ****ing time returning hate notes to halloween...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

PChicago

I played "Tuts" right near the L tracks quite a few times. Growing up in Chicago I was exposed to many "REAL" artists like the Captain. Got into him at the same time I got into Zappa.

Thanks for the Captains Jams.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Digitar...Right on bro..Tuts was The Quiet Night before it was Tuts and then it became "Club Avalon" then it dies..like many of the incredible venues that were all over town in those days..You could find live music everywhere.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Damn..
Attached Thumbnails
Captain Beefheart RIP-beef_kit.jpg  
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexable View Post
I look at her and she looks at me
In her eyes I see the sea
I can't see what she sees in a man like me
She says she loves me

Her eyes
Her eyes
Her eyes are a blue million miles

Far as I can see
She loves me

Her eyes
Her eyes
Her eyes are a blue million miles

Far as I can see
She loves me

I look at her and she looks at me
In her eyes I see the sea
I can't see what she sees in a man like me
She says she loves me

Her eyes
Her eyes
Her eyes are a blue million miles.

R.I.P
Such a beautiful song... it's pretty much my favorite love song... the sound of it is hypnotic... it's like when you look out across the ocean and the sun is sparkling across the chaos of the waves and -- all of a sudden -- it all drops into place and all that chaos seems to have a perfect internal order: everything is in its place, that moment is perfect.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Trout Mask took me a long time to get my head around...I'm glad I stuck with it and it started to 'make sense' musically...one of my favorites, along with Clear Spot.

Hey Halloween = fuuck
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:

RIP/
This post says a lot more about the human being who posted it than it does about the human being who just passed.

And quoting yourself in your signature - really?!

It takes a special kind of ego problem to drive a person to post in a thread for the sole purpose of pissing on someone's grave.

This is shockingly offensive.

Halloween.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

We Used Him Like An Ashtray Heart

If Don Van Vliet had been alive to read this thread, how much you wanna bet he would have liked Halloween's post more than any of the others? I've got fifty bucks saying he would have. What's offensive is not someone -- in this case, Halloween -- saying what is on his mind, it's the reflexive and unnecessary notion that one should not speak ill of the dead. As far as I'm concerned, the absolute low point for this forum was the wholesale deletion of dozens of negative posts (many of them thoughtful and well-reasoned) upon the death of the "King of Pop" (even typing that nonsense appellation makes me cringe).

Captain Beefheart's music meant a lot to me. Doc at the Radar Station came out when I was a teenager looking for something bracing and new. It delivered, and influenced me, as a young musician, to look beyond the normal forms and patterns in popular music.

Now, here's something weird: About a week ago a DVD documentary on Beefheart that I had ordered from Netflix arrived at my house. I finally got around last night to putting it in the DVD player. As I did, my girlfriend came in the room, and asked me what I was going to be watching. I told her, and she said, "Hey, isn't that the guy that just died today?" It was the first I had heard of his death. Strange coincidence.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
Strange coincidence.
Or is it even a stranger coincidence that your post is number 666?

(Just sayin'.)
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
If Don Van Vliet had been alive to read this thread, how much you wanna bet he would have liked Halloween's post more than any of the others? I've got fifty bucks saying he would have. What's offensive is not someone -- in this case, Halloween -- saying what is on his mind, it's the reflexive and unnecessary notion that one should not speak ill of the dead. As far as I'm concerned, the absolute low point for this forum was the wholesale deletion of dozens of negative posts (many of them thoughtful and well-reasoned) upon the death of the "King of Pop" (even typing that nonsense appellation makes me cringe).

Captain Beefheart's music meant a lot to me. Doc at the Radar Station came out when I was a teenager looking for something bracing and new. It delivered, and influenced me, as a young musician, to look beyond the normal forms and patterns in popular music.

Now, here's something weird: About a week ago a DVD documentary on Beefheart that I had ordered from Netflix arrived at my house. I finally got around last night to putting it in the DVD player. As I did, my girlfriend came in the room, and asked me what I was going to be watching. I told her, and she said, "Hey, isn't that the guy that just died today?" It was the first I had heard of his death. Strange coincidence.
What struck me as offensive about his post was not that he offered that he didn't like Beefheart's music -- lots of people don't and I don't think the reasons why have to be explained to too many of the people sophisticated enough to like it.

No, the thing that got me was that he went out of his way to come into this thread -- on the day that an artist who was clearly beloved by the people in the thread had died after a long and crippling illness -- and talk trash about the artist. He didn't say he didn't like Beefheart's music, he heaped superlatives of negativity on it.

That's behavior that seems clearly intended to offend and be hurtful.

It's not truth-telling so much as smack-talking.

There's no shame in not liking what is clearly difficult, iconoclastic music. But there is in being intentionally hurtful.

[EDIT: I've been in touch with Halloween. I had sent him in an unsolicited pm a somewhat pointed rhetorical question -- and volunteered my own, rather uncharitable answer. I thought better of it and sent a second pm and apologized for it, but pointed out why I was so agitated. He sent me a polite pm accepting that apology and offered that perhaps he ought to take death more seriously. I suggested that it wasn't death that was the issue for me but the feelings of others. So, I'm done with that, but, I thought, since I had offered my somewhat blunt thoughts above, I ought to catch up with them.]

[EDIT 2: Well, I've now exchanged holiday greetings with Halloween, so I'm feeling a bit better all around. Heaven knows, I'm positive I've seemed insensitive to others' feelings plenty in life. Probably plenty in the last couple days. I'm happy to put this behind us.]

On a much different note, I've been tracking others' comments on other boards and among my 3DW pals on Facebook (my real world friends lean hard to boho/dada roots) and it's getting amazing how many people had just put on Beefheart that morning or in the last few days and so on. Lots of synchronicity -- or maybe folks drawn to the Captain just have their antennae out for those strange little coincidences that pop up in life like high desert wildflowers in late spring...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

The last (and only thing) I read about Captain Beefheart, the man, pretty much painted him as an abusive psycho. And you all jump on one poster for dissing his music. Did any of you know the human? I didn't, I won't comment on his death. I didn't know his music either, so I can't comment on that. If you didn't know the man, save your slags of the one poster who spoke his mind.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

RIP.

He was a bluesman at heart. Listen to his early single 'Diddy Wah Diddy' from 1966. He said that he stopped doing straight blues because it already had been done to perfection by the great blues masters.

And I dare say that there wouldn't be any Tom Waits without Captain Beefheart.

Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Strangely enough I find it more disturbing that the majority decided to focus on my opinion more so than his passing. And I wont point fingers but one of you bashing me had nothing but negative things to say about MJ when he died.... You know who you are, don't be hypocritical.

I said nothing ill of the guy, just that his music was bad, that does not make him a bad person, nor does that strike any blow to his existence or relevance.

Like I said before in a PM. I guess I don't take death serious enough.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

He will be missed.
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:

Dude, in the world of Beefheart, this kind of strangeness is far from unknown...the man was not only one of the most original and unique artists who ever lived, but had some quite incredible psychic abilities including the ability to move objects around with his mind (read John French's book for more about that) and once, when being interviewed, he suddenly stopped in mid-speech, went silent, and then said 'Something really heavy has just gone down....'....turns out Lennon had just been shot dead at that very moment.....Beefheart was one of those artists that can completely change the way you look at life...am off to go listen to the genius of Trout Mask Replica.....
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

a friend of mine saw him in a public toilet one time in London, it went something like this.

Friend:
hey! aren't you Captain Beefheart ?

Beefheart:
Yeah

Friend:
how come you make music like you do ?

Beefheart:
because there aint no f*@king money in painting kid!

anyhow.
saw him live in the mid 70s.
Brilliant!

may the dolphins sing him to sleep
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Spot on. I found some of the responses(now edited away I see)to halloween's post much more offensive.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
may the dolphins sing him to sleep
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hi, just passing thru, paying respects...

RIP Beefheart

See you sometime soon, I imagine
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

He was a Sculptor, a Painter, a Poet and a Musician, he had the courage and/or insanity to follow his own peculiar muse and I for one think the world is a better place when true artists like him do their thing. He made everyone question what they think is relevant or irrelevant. That's an artists job if you will.

He said in an interview with Letterman once that he only went to a half a day of Kindergarten and never went back to school. He was a child prodigy in sculpting and was offered a scholarship in a top European School of Art but never accepted their offer. He was a person that seemed to be born to art.

It seems that his work brings out the essence of many different people and maybe that's what he enjoyed about his own particular brand of art. You either loved it or hated it without much middle ground. I'm on the loved it side but can still understand both opinions.

With the passing of the Captain it's time to celebrate the contributions he made or at the very least have a little sympathy for a fellow human being that died of a debilitating illiness.

Rock On!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wonderful BBC documentary on the Captain. Priceless quote from Zappa (pt.4 of 6, about 2:50 in):

"I think that if he had been produced by any professional famous producer, that there could have been a number of suicides involved"
-Frank Zappa, regarding his experience producing Trout Mask Replica

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search