Lives for gear

Arrow Michael Jackson - Gone Too Soon

I was not sure where to post this but it was a very sad moment :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=101iXwPTNE0&feature=fvst
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
I heard that in his will, MJ left the beatles catalog to Paul McCartney!
I wondered where that was left. thanks.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

He was a hell of a talent. All the personal life crap aside, he was one of those sorts that lived music and performance. What it meant to be a music star changed after Michael Jackson.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Addict

Anyone here who can't appreciate MJ's music (and mourne his loss to the music world) should be outright banned from this forum.

Get real guys, and stop judging, lest you be judged.

I can name 100 rock/pop/rap/country/jazz icon's that were far from ethical pillars in our society.
Old 26th June 2009
Art
Gear Addict

MJ RIP!!! It is a sad day for music.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Anyone here who can't appreciate MJ's music (and mourne his loss to the music world) should be outright banned from this forum.

I can name 100 rock/pop/rap/country/jazz icon's that were far from ethical pillars in our society.
Amen.

RIP - Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett.

You guys have had many years to debate this ****.

Take this day off.

Please.

Cheers.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, heavy news today. RIP both of them.
Old 26th June 2009
Here for the gear

Good bye

Michael left us amazing music that changed the world. I feel like part of my childhood died today. RIP.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

huge loss for the music world... pop music was still worth something when he was King.

RIP
Old 26th June 2009
Lek
Lives for gear

I didn't realize how much MJ meant until the deep sadness I felt after I heard the news. When I was 12 or 13, the guy was the biggest musical force in the world. I remember wanting to see him in concert, but couldn't get tickets and the scalpers wanted something ridiculous.

Of all the people who I've seen pass in the last 10 or 20 years, this one strangely is piercing my heart. One of the greatest talents you'll have experienced in your lifetime ... gone.. he really touched people all over the world. Every country is going to be weeping.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Amen.

RIP - Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett.

You guys have had many years to debate this ****.

Take this day off.

Please.

Cheers.
Nicely said.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

He was a legend, but the curtain closes on us all someday.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Michael Jackson.
The good
The bad
The ugly

A loss to the music world and a talent few will ever achieve.
Personal life a bit of "not so comfortable" to regular folk.
Still a BMF by all musical measure.

The loss of Farrah is just downright plain sad.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

I think the passing of any human (human being the operative word) is a sad day for all, there is always a world of influence and potential in all of us.

The fact that Michael Jackson left such a hug impression on our culture may not be as a much a testimony to him as it is to the soft nature of our our culture.

I am in no way dissing the things he left behind in terms of artistic accomplishment, but it is an indictment to our shallow culture that a pop icon pushes the battle for personal freedom in Iran off the horizon and that the deaths of "less than pop" individuals who have made a much larger contribution to the future of our planet are dismissed with nary a nod.

So we have our three...Ed, Farah, and Michael, and now after a week of memorials we will get back to the business of ignoring the rest of the planet...same as it ever was...

Why should his death be memorialized more than Neda Agha Soltan?

Your opinion may vary, in that case put on a record and be sad for a day.

He should have lived til he was 80 or more.

Last edited by iomegaman; 26th June 2009 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: added thought
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
Why should his death be memorialized more than Neda Agha Soltan?
+ 1
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Everyday is a sad day for someone, and a sad day will come to everyone here too. It's a sad world. Use your art to help,if you care. MJ, with all his flaws, did that.

But, theres always a few haters out there.... please, don't feed the trolls.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeoctane View Post
When you put it that way, I guess the same would hold true for Jesus Christ or John F. Kennedy or even Dana Plato.
Wow you completely missed my point.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post

Maybe we shouldn't be judging other peoples music appreciation skills...

...really...banning?

I appreciate that you are passionate about your love for MJ's music (what part of it he wrote I suppose, or was it the production teams part that influenced you most?), and I agree we should all mourn the loss of a 50 year old who had much to give, but I think each individual should have the right to like or dislike MJ's music without the fear of being banned if they do not get it...did you feel the same about Sky Saxon who also died today?

Perhaps you should be banned for not appreciating him...
Old 26th June 2009
Deleted User
I don't know the FACTS about MJ's personal life. Pretty sure none of the loudmouths around here do either.

But what I do know is that, while I was never what I'd call a "fan", from the first time I saw and heard that little kid with the Jackson 5 on TV, there was no denying he was hugely talented. There's also little point trying to deny that he continued to be a powerful influence on an entire generation of pop singers and wannabes. Say what you want about his image, the guy had the chops.

If you don't think it's worth even a little bit of mourning for an artist whose work will be remembered for decades, and whose talent set the standard for millions, then I have to wonder what you're doing in the world of music at all...

RIP M.J.

It's good to know that long after the personal controversies have faded, the sounds and images that made Jackson a superstar will continue to entertain, and inspire.

Mind you, on a sadder note, I think Weird Al just lost his number 1 muse...
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

damn... RIP Michael Jackson.

"Human Nature"....one of the best sounding songs to ever hit vinyl, makes me feel good. Thanks for that.

Amanda always said, "there is no such thing as weird people, some people just require more understanding".

Assholes don't like to understand, and hypocrites can't spell class.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Unhappy

Grew up listening to Michael Jackson................ Sad day in the music world.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Yes kenny, its safe to say that thriller will go down as one of the greatest, along with off the wall. Those ablums are great examples of what recordings should sound and fel like. I mean they had so much clarity and energy, he will be missed.

R.I.P mike.
I saw the youtube vid of how he did his harmonies.... I was floored to say the least.
Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Yes kenny, its safe to say that thriller will go down as one of the greatest, along with off the wall. Those ablums are great examples of what recordings should sound and fel like. I mean they had so much clarity and energy, he will be missed.
Indeed!
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post
If you don't think it's worth even a little bit of mourning for an artist whose work will be remembered for decades, and whose talent set the standard for millions, then I have to wonder what you're doing in the world of music at all...
I'm in music precisely because I want to contribute (in my own meager and nearly-invisible way) to creating music of substance and depth, and not contribute to a bleak culture that welcomes the type of slick and pointless product that Michael Jackson and other mass-marketed entertainers fill our shelves with every year.

Anyone who thinks Michael Jackson set a "standard" needs to leave the music business. Hendrix set a standard. The Beatles set a standard. John Coltrane set a standard. Mozart set a standard. Not in a million years did Michael Jackson approach any type of standard except the crassest one, that of commerce.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Anyone cranked out a "Michael Jackson is still alive!" track yet?
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Rip michael
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

There might be an important distinction between MJ's talent and the production on MJ's albums...least we get confused here...he definitely had talent, he contributed to our culture, but the producers were the guys responsible for that HUGE sound that Kenny is suggesting...unless of course MJ also ran the board, mixed/engineered all his own stuff...

I dunno but I doubt it...

He was to kids growing up in the 70-80's what Sinatra was to their parents...he was an icon, good bad or indifferent, but he was not the guy who pushed the record button...others should get that credit.

Bruce Swedien comes to mind...
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

He spent more time in a recording studio than most of the people on this forum, dealing with the best gear ever made in history of music recording (and the best people). Just for that he deserves a very loud "RIP" from all of us.
Thank you for the music Michael.
Baslotto.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegaman View Post
There might be an important distinction between MJ's talent and the production on MJ's albums...least we get confused here...he definitely had talent, he contributed to our culture, but the producers were the guys responsible for that HUGE sound that Kenny is suggesting...unless of course MJ also ran the board, mixed/engineered all his own stuff...

I dunno but I doubt it...

He was to kids growing up in the 70-80's what Sinatra was to their parents...he was an icon, good bad or indifferent, but he was not the guy who pushed the record button...others should get that credit.

Bruce Swedien comes to mind...
I'd bet that Bruce and Quincy would confirm my opinion.

MJ was a genius (during that time) and had a lot to do with that record's brilliance.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ektia View Post
I'm in music precisely because I want to contribute (in my own meager and nearly-invisible way) to creating music of substance and depth, and not contribute to a bleak culture that welcomes the type of slick and pointless product that Michael Jackson and other mass-marketed entertainers fill our shelves with every year.

Anyone who thinks Michael Jackson set a "standard" needs to leave the music business. Hendrix set a standard. The Beatles set a standard. John Coltrane set a standard. Mozart set a standard. Not in a million years did Michael Jackson approach any type of standard except the crassest one, that of commerce.
You've missed the boat, the train and the plane on this one!

Jimi Hendrix was indeed an influential person who was great for his time and for his scope. But whether or not you think that Michael had substance, you can only sell crap for so long before it fizzles.

Look, no matter what you think of him or the marketing that went into his music, if you were there and not downloading vids from Youtube learning about his stuff post facto, then you already know. It wasn't a person alive who didn't know and love MJs stuff in the 80s.

I mean what a unifying musical force. When Punk rockers were still enjoying their overthrow of Disco, here comes MJ.

You haven't lived til you see kids with Pink Mohawks, kids dressed like Breakin, Bloods and Crips and police officers, ALL DANCING TO Michael Jackson on a street corner! The cops you would think, should have asked them to turn that **** down, but instead it was turn that **** UP!

I saw **** like that as a kid in the 80s.

Trust me, that wasn't commercial, that was music at its heart being a transcedent force that touched all people in some connective way that made them forget their differences. It was crazy.

I've never seen an artist accomplish stuff like that in my lifetime since. Even James Brown couldn't claim that kind of appeal in his lifetime and James Brown was the ****in man!

Police and gang members jamming to Thriller?

Naw dude you're stone crazy. It was the music not the marketing.

Peace
Illumination

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search