The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP Dan Fogelberg
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

RIP Dan Fogelberg

Dangit. When will the cures come? Another cancer related death.
Old 17th December 2007
That sucks...

RIP
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Wow,

I had no idea - still was quite a young man.

I'll be humming a few of his timeless hits in his memory.

RIP to a great songwriter...
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

RIP and thanks for the tunes.

We're loosing them left and right guys.

Worst part is that they are not being replaced.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Rip to a great writer and singer! Sometimes i wonder if being exposed to electronics too much, ie studios and recording gear changes our cell structure?Who knows! We all live the mystery of life.
Old 17th December 2007
500 series nutjob

:(~
very sad.
RIP DAN
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Nut

A sad day....Man, I played my copy of "Netherlands" literally till it was worn out..Many thanks to Mr.F for the wonderful music...many a night was spent smoochin' with the gals with a little Fogelberg on in the background...

Ray
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Strangely enough, I remember there being a rumor about it a while back, but it looks like it's actually true this time. May he rest in peace.

They say death comes in threes. First it was Kevin DuBrow. Then Ike Turner. And now Mr. Fogelberg. I guess that completes the "famous musician" trilogy. Hopefully there won't be another one for a while.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict
yeah souveniers was absolutely the bomb when I was young.

changing horses...one of my all time favs..........magical tune..........at least he's no longer suffering.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Guru

Very sad news.

I'll miss you Dan.
Old 17th December 2007
TYY
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Yeah, it's too bad smoking is so ingrained into the musician/artist lifestyle. It takes them so much younger.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Lost another great one- Dan Fogelberg R.I.P

Comcast.net Music - Singer Dan Fogelberg, 56, Dies of Cancer

Getting old sucks. Nuff said
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Maniac

R.I.P., Dan...
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Maniac

They're dropping like flies...
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

He played at our high school along with the Eagles in 1976. Problem was I was too much of a rebellious rocker to appreciate the show . About 4 years after that I ended up being a huge fan.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

"Just for a moment I was back in school
And felt that old familiar pain
And as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned into rain"

DF
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Very sad news. No more "Longer" only in songs and memories.
RIP Dan.

Henk
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYY View Post
Yeah, it's too bad smoking is so ingrained into the musician/artist lifestyle. It takes them so much younger.
He died of advanced prostate cancer...
What makes you think his cancer was caused by smoking?
Many non-smokers also contract cancer.
And many smokers will out-live you too, pal.

Life causes cancer, cancer and death do not discriminate.
When your time is up...You are done.

It's a shame about Dan's death...
I always enjoyed his music.

Risk Factors

Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in America, affecting 1 in 6 men. The older you are, the more likely you are to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. Although only 1 in 10,000 under age 40 will be diagnosed, the rate shoots up to 1 in 39 for ages 40 to 59, and 1 in 14 for ages 60 to 69. In fact, more than 65% of all prostate cancers are diagnosed in men over the age of 65.

But the roles of race and family history are important as well. African American men are 61% more likely to develop prostate cancer compared with Caucasian men and are nearly 2.5 times as likely to die from the disease. Men with a single first-degree relative—father, brother or son—with a history of prostate cancer are twice as likely to develop the disease, while those with two or more relatives are nearly four times as likely to be diagnosed. The risk is even higher if the affected family members were diagnosed at a young age, with the highest risk seen in men whose family members were diagnosed before age 60.

Although genetics might play a role in deciding why one man might be at higher risk than another, social and environmental factors, particularly diet and lifestyle, likely have an effect as well.

In fact, research in the past few years has shown that diet modification might decrease the chances of developing prostate cancer, reduce the likelihood of having a prostate cancer recurrence, or help slow the progression of the disease.

More information about how dietary and lifestyle changes can affect the risk of prostate cancer development and progression can be found in the Nutrition and Prostate Cancer guide.

When weighing risk factors for prostate cancer, it’s also important to recognize that there are non-risk factors, or factors that have not been linked to an increase in risk.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

wow, bummer I love his vocals.
fine guitar player too
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Goodbye Dan,

It's hard to tell you the impact your music has on me. You were a wonderfuly storyteller, a gifted musician.

Rest in Peace.

-Rich
Old 17th December 2007
TYY
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxon View Post
And many smokers will out-live you too, pal.
Whoa, looks like I hit a nerve. You can tell yourself whatever you need to sleep at night, but the fact remains that smoking is a major risk factory for MANY types of cancer, not to mention cardiovascular disease, emphysema, the list goes on and on. To ignore or even downplay the massive impact of smoking on health is absurd.
Old 17th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYY View Post
Whoa, looks like I hit a nerve. You can tell yourself whatever you need to sleep at night, but the fact remains that smoking is a major risk factory for MANY types of cancer, not to mention cardiovascular disease, emphysema, the list goes on and on. To ignore or even downplay the massive impact of smoking on health is absurd.
Indeed. Choosing to smoke is perhaps the single poorest choice a person can make in terms of their health.

Certainly not all deaths are related to it and certainly some smokers will nonetheless outlive non-smokers but the statistics are overwhelmingly clear as to its adverse effects.

Anyway, RIP Dan.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

TYY...

If you only knew how many clean-living, non-smokers that I have seen burried young.
I'm not in the least trying to defend the choice to smoke or not to smoke.
Smoking anything is obviously an unhealthy choice.
Much more for some than for others.

But you are living in a dreamworld of you automatically infer or suggest that any young person who contracts cancer must have been a smoker.

That's simpily absurd logic...

Sorry, if that hit a nerve with you.
When it's your time to die, you will...
That's a fact.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Sorry to hear this Dan RIP
We don't know how he got the cancer?Smokin and drinking and eating meat are risks for some cancers.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
TYY...

If you only knew how many clean-living, non-smokers that I have seen burried young.
I'm not in the least trying to defend the choice to smoke or not to smoke.
Smoking anything is obviously an unhealthy choice.
Much more for some than for others.

But you are living in a dreamworld of you automatically infer or suggest that any young person who contracts cancer must have been a smoker.

Sorry, if that hit a nerve with you.
When it's your time to die, you will...
That's a fact.

My mother had two different cancers before finally losing her battle to them. Never drank, smoked or did any kind of drugs. She didn't even like to take an aspirin.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
My mother had two different cancers before finally losing her battle to them. Never drank, smoked or did any kind of drugs. She didn't even like to take an aspirin.

My great grandfather "Delbert" lived to be 93 years old. He smoked un-filtered Camels like a freakin' chimney! I remember visiting him at the "card room". Complete with nudy girl calendars, green visors, and a completly smoke filled room.
He didn't die of cancer. He died from "old age"
Go figure.

On an up note, I passed my colonoscopy and prostate test with flying colors last week. All you guys get your asses to the doctor and do IT!

No it's not the most fun I've had, but I do sleep better at night knowing that I will most likely NOT die from colon or prostrate cancer. . . sure the type 2 , hypertension or high blood pressure might get me but Hey!
If it's not one thing it's the other.

Van

P.S. RIP Dan!
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
wow, bummer I love his vocals.
fine guitar player too
nah! definetly over-rated,sorry coudn't resist
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

I loved the man's music. I was never embarrassed to say so. The guy could tell a story. Everytime I hear one of his emotional songs I almost cry..now I probably will.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Dan Fogelberg ~ News
Old 18th December 2007
TYY
Gear Addict

Quote:

If you got that from my post, then you have a chip on your shoulder. Just sayin'.

Sorry to keep derailing this thread, but puleez.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear