The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brother of my artist just died from OD
Old 11th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Unhappy Brother of my artist just died from OD

The brother of an artist I spent the last two years producing died last night from a drug overdose. He was her only sibling and her best friend, as well as the keyboard player in her live band. She is totally devastated and I don't even know what words to use to comfort her. He was 23 years old.

All I can think about is the last time I saw him, which was 5 days ago at a show she played. He seemed happy and was excited about the fact that we had just closed a major record deal for her, and things were looking good. Now I just keep replaying that final conversation and moment in my mind and realizing I'll never see the guy again.

It's so frustrating right now trying to figure out how to bring comfort to this young woman and her family, and knowing that there's really nothing other than just being there to provide love and support. I just feel so powerless.

September 11 really sucks.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

no one wins in this situation whatsoever. i used to be a real mess. ive had plenty of alchohol poisoning and one opiate OD in particular. im really lucky to be alive. i didnt really want to die, i just didnt care -- before it was too late. you can really pay a price for dancing on that rocky edge.

you guys have my sympathy.

Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

My little sister did the same many years ago. There may not be anything you can say to comfort. But, there's alot of listening you can do. . . that and just being present.
Old 11th September 2007
Old 11th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about this. Was it heroin?

I the past 3 years I know 3 people who've died from heroin overdoses. (Actual friends not just people I know of). It is popular among teenagers in suburban Chicago because it's cheap and easy to get. In the suburb that I live in the less rich kids use heroin and the rich ones cocaine. The one guy I know that died of an overdose did his first rehab experience before his 15th birthday.

Drugs are f$cked up. I'm glad I'm sober.
I'm not sure what the drug was, neither she nor her family provided any details, and I didn't want to pry as the situation is already so raw for them. Either way, it's definitely a cautionary tale, and just a tragedy for the loved ones left behind who have to pick up the pieces and carry on...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Alas a scenario way too many people have to go through...
Had a good friend who used to ride a suzuki 1300 like a complete nutcase. We all said he wouldn't last long. He didn't but it was an overdose.
Another good friend about the same time (I was 23) had asthma. While wasted he had an attack. Adios...
When I became diabetic, I stopped doing anything much. Not worth the risk.
Life is good but fragile....
Hope your artist finds strength to get by. Wish her all the best. Unfortunately, there is no good news in these stories.....

RIP.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search