The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP Joe Zawinul Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just recently read an interview about him in some periodical. He sounded very very cool. I would have liked to have met that guy.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Still have all of my Weather Report LPs.
I lived and breathed them as a teen.

There's a Weather Report DVD out. It's footage from the 70's, with Zawinul, Jaco, Shorter and Erskine.
Definately check that one out.
It'll definately take you back.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fross View Post
Still have all of my Weather Reort LPs.
I lived and breathed them as a teen.

There's a Weather Report DVD out. It's footage from the 70's, with Zawinul, Jaco, Shorter and Erskine.
Definately check that one out.
It'll definately take you back.
There is another newer DVD, Live at Montreux '76 that is killer. The band has Jaco, Acuna, and Badrena. The Rhodes tones he gets are amazing.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Whoa! Thats insane! If anyone were ever to be immortal, I figured it would have been him. I guess immortality still doesn't exist.

In all fairness, with how he treated his body (partying/drinking) he actually lived to be somewhere 175 years old. He played amazing to the end.
Old 11th September 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

I guess immortality still doesn't exist.

Ain't that the truth. We are almost out of ledgens. Very sad. Who replaces someone like that?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corworld View Post
There is another newer DVD, Live at Montreux '76 that is killer. The band has Jaco, Acuna, and Badrena. The Rhodes tones he gets are amazing.
Ahhhhhh, you don't say.
I've got to check that one out.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for all those beautful sonic landscapes you will be missed by many.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
Very sad. Who replaces someone like that?
no one.

he is the leader in a category of one.
Old 12th September 2007
Smile

rip, mister z. you were a wonderful inspiration to many, including me.

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I met him last year july on the airport Schiphol of Amsterdam. Great person, great musician, great records. A true global citizan making true global music. Listen to In a Silent Way, Walk Tall, Black Market, Birdland, The Persuit of The Woman With The Feathered Head, The Peasant, 6 A.M./Walking On The Nile; all music with great stories, great colors and great spheres... A legend in its own.

Thank U Joe for the great music you have left the world!

Roger
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The world has never been the same since 8:30.

RIP.

B.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

This is sad. Joe, you will be missed. I cut a lot of my drum teeth on Heavy Weather.

peace,
wade
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Wow. He leaves one hell of a legacy. I wish I could be a tenth of the musician he was.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Weather Report made some of the most beautiful music the world will ever hear, one of a kind. The music world has just lost one of the greatest last hopes. I sure will miss joe z..... For now on, on the day of his death, i will take off work, spend all day listening to their records and get drunk drinking cognac,and after ever record finishes, I will sluurrr... "the baddest **** on the planet".
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Here's the email we got yesterday (Joe was on our HeadsUp label):

Dear Colleagues -

With great sadness I report that jazz icon Joe Zawinul passed this morning.

Joe had been battling a skin disease called Merkel Cell carcinoma and had been in the hospital in Vienna, Austria his birthplace for several months.

Joe's wife had passed earlier this year. He is survived by his sons Eric, Ivan and Anthony (Anthony directed our Yellowjackets 25 DVD).

In a business where the word “legend” is tossed around all too often, the tag is not an overstatement when referring to keyboardist/composer/bandleader Joe Zawinul.

Born in Vienna, Austria, in 1932, Zawinul emigrated in 1959 to the United States, where he played with Maynard Ferguson and the great Dinah Washington before joining alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley’s band in 1961 and staying for almost ten years. With Adderley, Zawinul wrote several important songs, most notably the slow, funky often-covered hit “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy,” which reached the top of the Billboard pop Charts in 1967.

Other songs from the Zawinul pen during his tenure with Adderley include include “The Country Preacher,” “Walk Tall” and “Seventy Miles Away.”Zawinul then moved on to a brief but fateful encounter and collaboration with Miles Davis, just as Miles was moving into the electric sound. It was Zawinul’s “In a Silent Way,” which served as the title track of Miles’ first electric foray, and Zawinul had a potent impact on Miles’ classic Bitches Brew as well.

Zawinul is one of a rare handful of synthesizer players who made the instrument an expressive, swinging part of his arsenal. Prior to the invention of the portable synthesizer, his approach to the keyboard helped bring the Wurlitzer and Fender-Rhodes electric pianos into the jazz mainstream.

DESCRIPTION
What is Merkel cell carcinoma?
Merkel cell carcinoma, also called neuroendocrine cancer of the skin, is a rare type of disease in which malignant (cancer) cells are found on or just beneath the skin and in hair follicles. Merkel cell carcinoma usually appears as firm, painless, shiny lumps of skin. These lumps or tumors can be red, pink, or blue in color and vary in size from less than a quarter of an inch to more than two inches. Merkel cell carcinoma is usually found on the sun-exposed areas of the head, neck, arms, and legs. This type of cancer occurs mostly in whites between 60 and 80 years of age, but it can occur in people of other races and ages as well.

Merkel cell carcinoma grows rapidly and often metastasizes (spreads) to other parts of the body. Even relatively small tumors are capable of metastasizing. When the disease spreads, it tends to spread to the regional (nearby) lymph nodes and may also spread to the liver, bone, lungs, and brain. Lymph nodes are small, bean-shaped structures that are found throughout the body. They produce and store infection-fighting cells.

Treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma depends on the stage of the disease, and the patient's age and overall condition.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Zawinal.bmp (138.2 KB, 221 views)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

In the memory of...

Old 12th September 2007
That is sad news.
It was Billy Preston last year and Zawinul now.
Rest in Peace, both of You...
Old 12th September 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

Saw him at Shelly Manhole with Cannonball....Mercy mercy mercy...
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Ahhh man- rest in peace my friend. As a teacher of first graders I am doing my best to teach kids to have a passion for music and strive to create something unique and original. He was a role model to all that love to create. Rock on with Jaco!!!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

RIP Joe Z -

Another musical paradigm shifter has left us - The emotional complexity/simplicity of his songs always gives me faith that theres more to this world than just love and hate.

Gonna miss him big time
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Weather Report was my biggest influence in high school.

I hate it when my heroes leave.
Same for me...

R.I.P. Mr Zawinul.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Heavy Weather! I'm listening to it now...Godspeed Joe thumbsup

- John
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

For starters:
Incredible phrasing.
Incredible sense of space in his comping.
Elevated fusion to an art. And unlike so many others, he kept it there! (Anyone listen to Chick Corea's Mad Hatter lately: yikes!)
Precursor to world music.
Best synth patches of his genneration, and maybe ever.
Fearless.
Melodic as hell, unique lines.
DEEP soul.
Warmth, groove, fun, brains, mystery.
Had a backwards keyboard, just to keep his mind sharp.

I was listening to a bunch of Weather Report just last month, and it still moved me on many levels. No nostalgia, just great stuff.

A very sad day indeed.

PLEASE, to all the youngsters: aspire to what Zawinul did, whatever your cultural context.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

RIP. even though i never had a chance to hear him.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

he could do it all

from straight jazz with Ben Webster, to hardbop/funk with the Adderley brothers, and jazzrock with Miles and Jaco

rest in peace
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

- very sad... he's a legend I'd hoped would live forever - his music will, though!

I got to shake his hand after a WR show many years ago - small upscale venue, my buddy and I were on the front row right in front of his keyboard rig. It was a low stage, so basically we were right in his space. After the encore, he leaned over, shook our hands with soulful eye contact, and thanked us!

I've got a bunch of his recordings, but the weirdest and oldest is from 1959 (my birth year) - playing with the Maynard Ferguson Big Band.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Unhappy my zawinul story

still hard to come to grips with the loss of such a vital force in the music game;

i thought some of you might be interested in my story of meeting my idol, josef zawinul, about 5 or 6 years ago.

i got to hang with zawinul for an afternoon or so, as it fell to me to pick him up from his hotel (the metropolitan in hollywood), take him to a tribute gig way out in the valley, and take him back again.

this was probably the first time i ever met one of my true idols, but by this time, i was old enough to figure it would be disappointing to meet one of them, so my expectations were low.

well, i arrived at the lobby of the metropolitan, told them at the desk i was here to pick him up, and sure enough, there he was, short, but stocky and well built, looking like he could kick my ass even though i outweighed him by probably 40 or 50 pounds.

i introduced myself as a big fan, and told him one of my favorite records was dialects. "mine too, man" he said, "and it's going to come out on cd soon... it will be better, you'll be able to hear alot of things you couldn't in the original pressing." (personally, i enjoy the vinyl version better.)

anyway, we go to the parking lot, where he sees my dinged up car (my ex girlfriend had crashed into a fence and scraped up the side.) he doesn't want to get in the car because he thinks i'm a crappy driver and we will get in an accident on the freeway. but, i convince him i'm a good driver.

so, we get in. now, zawinul, as is well known, was famous for being direct, blunt, and grouchy. well, i was prepared with some duke ellington music. whenever he would hear something he'd like, he'd say, "turn that up man."

"you know i played for him, man" he said with obvious pride. " i went to his hotel one time and played for him."

he went on to say how only duke ellington, alone among mozart, beethoven, etc., captured the mood of his people in music. he told me "the 40's man, you got to get the 40's" ellington. he said it was about the only music he listened to other than his own.

so, he would give me some great information, we were getting along great, then, i said to him, "i heard you're living in manhattan now. do you like it better than l.a.?"

pretty innocuous question, right? but it really pissed him off.

"what the **** kind of question is this man, why the **** would i live in manhattan if i didn't like living there."

oh no, i said, i've just pissed off my idol. what did i say what did i say? so, i think of something quick... well, i say, not everyone gets a chance to live where they want.

all of a sudden, his mood went from irate to melancholoy.

with a deep sigh, he said, "yeah, that's sad man."

so, we talked more about sarah vaughn, about dinah washington, about whether talent or practice was more important, etc. etc, about his new band with a drummer he thought was the best he heard and even though he was crazy, he had to put up with him, and etc.

then, i asked him another, what i thought, was a basic question.

so, i said, what kind of keyboards are you playing now.

once again i pushed the wrong button.

"what the **** kind of question is that man? what kind of stupid ****ing question? it doesn't matter what kind of instrument i'm playing. it's the player, not the instrument, the instrument is nothing."

oh, i said. you know we'll be meeting horace silver at the gig?

again his mood changed instantly.

"horace will be there? oh this will be a good party then."

and on and on it went. on the way home, we actually got into the financial business of his band, what kind of money he was making, etc. etc. so, it was pretty cool. i told him i wanted to come and see the band at catalina's that night.

"i'll give you some tickets man, but you better ****ing come. don't just say you're going to come and not show up, otherwise i will waste the tickets."

i assured him i would be there, and he left the tickets at will call.

sure enough, the zawinul syndicate show was unbelievable, the drummer was unreal, and "blazing" was the only word i can use to describe it.

the one thing you have to say about zawinul, is with all the other great older musicians we know who have calmed down, or are basically coasting, on their past glories, zawinul NEVER did this.

he remained a vital, forward looking, exploratory composer to the end.

that's why a death like his comes as such a shock, as you know his next big tune was right around the corner.

RIP joe zawinul.... we will not see another like you in our lifetimes.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane View Post
still hard to come to grips with the loss of such a vital force in the music game;
RIP joe zawinul.... we will not see another like you in our lifetimes.
Thanks for the great story...
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah, thanks for that. Great story.

Regards,

John
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

Thank you for sharing your encounter with the master. I have found it shocking on this and other message boards the lack of attention given to his passing. This guy was the chief composer in Weather Report for God's sake. Is the whole world asleep?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search