The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP Erick Morillo
Old 1st September 2020
Lives for gear

RIP Erick Morillo

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ead-in-florida

Amazed to read he was just 49, given all he achieved.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

RIP
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

these are really pretty awesome, love that you can hear that it's a really simple setup. i really like the way it's all mixed, arranged, etc... and riding the cutoff on the bass synth. raw.

i had never listened to this stuff before just now, though i'm sure i've heard the first one somewhere.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

this one is great:

Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

There’s nothing quite like early 90s garage
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

This is a tragic loss for music and an incredibly heartbreaking. Morillo made his own style and complimented many. This is horrible news. F**k you 2020!
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

I already know this is going to be an edgy thread - let's just try pay respects to the contribution to society first before any of us get into a debate about the background of the situation.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
I already know this is going to be an edgy thread - let's just try pay respects to the contribution to society first before any of us get into a debate about the background of the situation.
Ok I’ll start, so far on Instagram I’ve seen Pete Tong pay his tributes, I read through all of the comments, I had a quick look at Eric Morillo’s own Instagram and had a look at the comments. I’ve seen this posted and some threads on Reddit.

No where does it say he was charged with rape of a female dj (for some reason they don’t call it rape in Miami, when you drug and rape a women), his sperm was found in the rape kit by police and the day he was due to appear in court on the “rape” he kills himself.

And all people can post is his music and the service he’s done to the music scene.

Am I missing something? Are people deleting comments on rape now?
Old 2nd September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post

And all people can post is his music and the service he’s done to the music scene.

Am I missing something?
Because wording is so vague and hazy that it's hard to tell what exactly he was accused of. For example that's what is currently written on Wikipedia:

Quote:
"In December 2019, Morillo and his accuser were both working as DJs at a private party on Star Island in Miami Beach, and later went to Morillo's Miami Beach home, along with another woman. The accuser told local detectives that Morillo "made several advances towards her, some sexual in nature, but she refused all of his attempts.""
From this it's hard to imagine anything other than the following dialogue
- Hey, wanna make love?
- No.
- Okay, sorry for asking.
Old 2nd September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistores View Post
- Hey, wanna make love?
Maybe the semantics are there, but "make love" when you're taking 2 girls back to your place? Really?

Anyways, RIP music man. I like to move it too.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I’ll start, so far on Instagram I’ve seen Pete Tong pay his tributes, I read through all of the comments, I had a quick look at Eric Morillo’s own Instagram and had a look at the comments. I’ve seen this posted and some threads on Reddit.

No where does it say he was charged with rape of a female dj (for some reason they don’t call it rape in Miami, when you drug and rape a women), his sperm was found in the rape kit by police and the day he was due to appear in court on the “rape” he kills himself.

Imagine for a second the situation isn't as black and white as the tidbits you get off social media and tabloids.

Seems like you've already determined he is guilty of something, even though you know literally nothing at all about the case. This is what people are up against.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow I didn’t know any of this..

But if it’s true it’ll be exactly the same as when Kobe died.the media made out he was this great guy but he’d been charged many times for attacking women the guy was a animal.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
this one is great:

Just curious: Is the whole song simply an advertisement for a store in NY or did I misunderstand the lyrics?

Regarding the accusations:
anybody is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence
Anything else is mob rule.

Whatever happened we will probably never know and therefore it won't cloud my judgement on the great tracks he produced. The tracks speak for themselves.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

The reason to not speak ill of the dead is that they are not here to defend themselves.
Old 2nd September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
The reason to not speak ill of the dead is that they are not here to defend themselves.
If you choose to end your life before the court case you possibly might be forgoing the whole defend yourself thing...
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

no comment
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
Regarding the accusations:
anybody is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence
Anything else is mob rule.
Nah, who needs that old-fashioned boomer “Law” when we have Twitter/Instagram/Facebook Law ! Why waste time and money with courts and laws when judgment and punishment can be rendered in a matter of hours by the Twitter masses, for free ?

It’s cheaper, simpler, much faster. And more satisfying for the Ego. Feeling down today ? Join the Twitter tribunal and condemn someone ( anyone, it doesn’t matter ) today !

It’s the future of Law and Justice baby !
( ps : i don’t even know who this Morillo guy is...)

This promotional post was sponsored by Silicon Valley.
Old 3rd September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Nah, who needs that old-fashioned boomer “Law” when we have Twitter/Instagram/Facebook Law ! Why waste time and money with courts and laws when judgment and punishment can be rendered in a matter of hours by the Twitter masses, for free ?

It’s cheaper, simpler, much faster. And more satisfying for the Ego. Feeling down today ? Join the Twitter tribunal and condemn someone ( anyone, it doesn’t matter ) today !

It’s the future of Law and Justice baby !
( ps : i don’t even know who this Morillo guy is...)

This promotional post was sponsored by Silicon Valley.
Tbf the court of public opinion existed long before twitter, social media, the internet etc
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
If you choose to end your life before the court case you possibly might be forgoing the whole defend yourself thing...
In today’s toxic climate, once you’ve been condemned by the masses on social networks, it doesn’t matter anymore whether you’re proven innocent by the courts or not. Not one bit. Once declared guilty by the anonymous Twitter mob, you will remain guilty for the rest of your life. Anyone googles your name, that’s the first thing they’ll read about you, not the Courts judgment. And it can never be erased.
Not comparable to people’s opinions pre-Twistter/Farcebook.

For a lot of people, that’s enough reason to commit suicide. People commit suicide for much less than that.

( and this is not a comment on this guy who i haven’t even heard of before reading this thread . He may or may not be guilty, the issue remains the same)
Old 3rd September 2020
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
Imagine for a second the situation isn't as black and white as the tidbits you get off social media and tabloids.

Seems like you've already determined he is guilty of something, even though you know literally nothing at all about the case. This is what people are up against.
I guess when I hear that a woman put herself through the humiliating process of reporting the rape to the police and getting a rape kit made, and that he denied it, but then the DNA came back positive, it leans heavily towards guilt. Could it have been a consensual situation? Maybe...it would be interesting to see if he actually claimed this. But it is a little weird that all I'm seeing is praise for his career. Maybe people seriously don't even know that this alleged assault occured.
Old 3rd September 2020
Quote:
In today’s toxic climate, once you’ve been condemned by the masses on social networks, it doesn’t matter anymore whether you’re proven innocent by the courts or not. Not one bit. Once declared guilty by the anonymous Twitter mob, you will remain guilty for the rest of your life.

For a lot of people, that’s enough reason to commit suicide. People commit suicide for much less than that.

( and this is not a comment on this guy who i haven’t even heard of before reading this thread )
I'm not going to discuss the details of the case in GS (they are widely available for perusal at your own leisure)...but I doubt very much that twitter are the guilty party or that Morillo is the victim in this

FTR I don't use twitter and have seen zero on this in social media that I use (telegraph, smoke signals, myspace)
Old 3rd September 2020
All that time I never knew he was behind that reel 2 reel high school cringefest. Subliminal was a NY mainstay, back when NY had clubs.

Color me surprised at what the man was capable of.
Old 3rd September 2020
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
In today’s toxic climate, once you’ve been condemned by the masses on social networks, it doesn’t matter anymore whether you’re proven innocent by the courts or not. Not one bit. Once declared guilty by the anonymous Twitter mob, you will remain guilty for the rest of your life. Anyone googles your name, that’s the first thing they’ll read about you, not the Courts judgment. And it can never be erased.

( and this is not a comment on this guy who i haven’t even heard of before reading this thread . He may or may not be guilty, the issue remains the same)
I agree with some situations, like the Gaslamp Killer thing was a big clusterf**k because it was all carried out on social media. But, this one seemed under the radar. Just carried out in the legal system quietly. You have to think, from the opposite perspective as yours,that the female DJ did not want to publicize this for fear of being ostracized in the music community for killing a legendary career.
Old 3rd September 2020
Gear Nut

Mourning the death of famous people in public online you have zero Real emotional connection to feels odd , an accused rapist who drugged his victim more so but yeah who knows the truth , even if he was that he must have suffered from the guilt , no one wants to see anyone suffer do they ?

The only truth i know is millions die every day and we dont seem to mourn them much do we ?

So why the big show out every time someone famous dies we dont know ?

I noticed this trend when social media became god , someone dies we all know and its like everyone has an emotional breakdown and it does not feel genuine , i think its something else , a kind of mass public ' rip ' fest which is not actually Genuine.

Sorry to say that and Rip all human death
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumgn View Post
you have zero Real emotional connection
Quite a lot of people do have an emotional connection to music.

I believe this is even more so the case with music they heard playing in clubs at key points in their lives.

So while you can of course speak for yourself, you could potentially leave room for others to feel their own feelings.

Last edited by Simonator; 3rd September 2020 at 06:34 PM..
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumgn View Post
So why the big show out every time someone famous dies we dont know ?

I noticed this trend when social media became god , someone dies we all know and its like everyone has an emotional breakdown and it does not feel genuine , i think its something else , a kind of mass public ' rip ' fest which is not actually Genuine.

Sorry to say that and Rip all human death
I don't see anyone here having anything close to 'an emotional breakdown'.
Your post is arguably the most dramatic in this entire thread.

To try answer your question earnestly though - I think it's mostly just 'news'.
Taking this specific example, Erick Morillo is unquestionably a key figure in electronic music* and since this is an electronic music forum, his passing is noteworthy.

*He topped international charts with a string of releases that many people regard as significant tracks and according to his Wiki page 'He was a three-time winner of DJ Awards "Best House DJ" in 1998, 2001, and 2003 and a three-time winner of "Best International DJ" in 2002, 2006, and 2009 receiving a total of 15 nominations in all from 1998–2010.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Awards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erick_Morillo

Last edited by Simonator; 3rd September 2020 at 07:36 PM..
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Take a look at statistics that talk about how many rapes are even reported. Much less prosecuted. Much less having the rapist convicted.

There’s a reason this kind of response to rape has taken on a life on social media. If it’s not for this, rapists and other physically abusive men will pay ZERO PRICE for doing whatever they want.

I have no faith in the legal system’s ability to prosecute and punish rapists appropriately. Until that changes, this is how it will play out.
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear

this (US-originated) "Cancel culture" thing really freaks me out. Tnx @ Simonator for speaking calm and true words. And for the PC Police, keep your cancel-culture to yourselves please. tnx!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear