The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Florian Schneider RIP
Old 13th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
... For me there are many many "best" genres:

Classic Hard Rock (Deep Purple), Electronic (Kraftwerk), Prog Rock (ELP, Genesis), Latin Rock (Santana), Funk (Maceo Parker), Baroque (Bach, Scarlatti), Classic (Beethoven), Romantic (Chopin, Wagner), Jazz (Corea RTF, Jarret, Weather Report, Landgren), Bossa Nova (Jobim), ...
i actually get a sick feeling in my stomach when someone lists this type of stuff as their favorite music. not that any of this is "bad" music at all (and i'm a fan of Maceo Parker via James Brown), but i swear "keyboard players" are some of the most square and utterly predictable people on earth. you always see the same names, i'm rather surprised that Wendy Carlos, JM Jarre, and Jan Hammer weren't mentioned.
Old 13th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
I like a lot of those too, I just meant what were your favorite two. I should have said those 2 were my favorite.
I have no favorite genre. I like all, it depends probably on actual mood which I like most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i actually get a sick feeling in my stomach when someone lists this type of stuff as their favorite music. not that any of this is "bad" music at all (and i'm a fan of Maceo Parker via James Brown),
Of course, these are only the ones that come to my mind first.
No rating.

Quote:
but i swear "keyboard players" are some of the most square and utterly predictable people on earth. you always see the same names, i'm rather surprised that Wendy Carlos, JM Jarre, and Jan Hammer weren't mentioned.
Do you have a study which shows evidence to this thesis?
Why do you write keyboard players in quotes?

Kraftwerk, which I like and know from the 70s (the not so often mentioned experimental 2 first albums) are a good example of being open-minded.

Sorry for this slightly off topic.

best regards
Old 13th May 2020
Lives for gear

I loved them since Autobahn first came out (1973 or 74?) and they played it on the radio! I was 13 if it was 1973. Bought all their records and they were a HUGE influence.

The biggies for me were:
1. Switched on Bach when that came out.
2. Autobahn
3. Moroder-Summer - I Feel Love
4. Gary Numan - Are Friends Electric (Album 2,3,4)
5. Ultravox - Systems of Romance (John Foxx with Conny Plank producing). Gary Numan said this was the bible album for him.
6. New Order - Blue Monday

Also Depeche.

I finally was able to see them on the last tour for Florian on Miami Beach. I think that was 2006? I waited 33 years to finally see my heroes and they were amazing. I have seen more than a few concerts including Bowie (greatest hits tour) and Depeche Mode plus others and Kraftwerk were the best.

It was so all encompassing as they had this almost quad sound system with speakers in the back of the great venue and on the sides. So the sound was amazing along with the visuals and music. I will never forget it.

Rest in peace Herr V-2 Schneider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiV8WFcdwg
Old 14th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
i actually get a sick feeling in my stomach when someone lists this type of stuff as their favorite music. not that any of this is "bad" music at all (and i'm a fan of Maceo Parker via James Brown), but i swear "keyboard players" are some of the most square and utterly predictable people on earth. you always see the same names, i'm rather surprised that Wendy Carlos, JM Jarre, and Jan Hammer weren't mentioned.
?? I heard Switched on Bach as a young child in music class. What Wendy (Walter) Carlos did with that big Moog back in the day was mind boggling. The recording technology was primitive and Switched on Bach plus Clockwork Orange were groundbreaking. This was work that put Moog on the map.

The sad part is Wendy is very protective and her music is out of print. You cannot find a copy anywhere.

There were a few others back then like Morton Subtionick but the Carlos records left people gob smacked.
Old 14th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Metal and Electronic, the two best music genres known to man.
Metal & Electronic = Rammstein

Rammstein - Das Model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOSRoOCZYo

Not so good. Rammstein's version of Stripped by Depeche Mode is better.
Old 14th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Metal & Electronic = Rammstein

Rammstein - Das Model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOSRoOCZYo

Not so good. Rammstein's version of Stripped by Depeche Mode is better.
I like Rammstein...but not what I meant. I did not mean the genres combined, but separate. I do like them combined as well.

The Mutter album is my favorite by far....ok, a little off topic now.
Old 15th May 2020
Very sad news! Kraftwerk was one of my favorite bands when I was young. I saw them in concert during their Computer World tour in the U.S. It was an unforgettable concert.

RIP Florian, you will be missed!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear