The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP: Sam Clayton Jr, aka SamC around here...
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

RIP: Sam Clayton Jr, aka SamC around here...

We've lost an extraordinary person to Covid-19.

Sam was a strongly opinionated -- hell of an audio engineer. He lead one of the most interesting lives I've ever known (he was part of the legendary Jamaican bobsled team among other things).

He will be sorely missed.

please note; this Sam Clayton Jr. is not the drummer of Little Feat.
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear
Thank you @ e-cue for posting this.

The video made me realize what a narrow 1-dimensional view we can develop regarding members of the GS community. We're here to discuss our passion and learn from one another. Too often that discipline in topical discussion leads us away from appreciating the full shape of the people behind the appends. I was struck by the difference in my GS impression of Sam Clayton as compared to what I gleaned from the video in which he smiled about relationships, laughed about an event, and hugged someone.

That should be a lesson to us all about how we treat, perceive, and relate to one another within this community. Rest in peace Sam Clayton.
Old 2nd April 2020
RIP SamC... he did five lifetimes worth of stuff in just one, and was quite a prolific member here. He will be missed...
Old 2nd April 2020
Oh no! One of our highly valued contributors!

The Gearslutz team is very deeply saddened to lose him.

Rest in peace SamC
Old 2nd April 2020
Engagement Manager

Very sad news
Rest in Peace Sam
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Wow, that’s pretty shocking. He’s been a massive contributor on here. He was recently discussing the repercussions to touring. RIP.
Cheers, Sam.

Be safe everybody.
Old 2nd April 2020
RIP SamC Lost for words but not for music....the song plays on...
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear
Ouch! Thanks, SamC. Will miss your posts.

See you on the other side,

Ray H.
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post

We've lost an extraordinary person to Covid-19.

Sam was a strongly opinionated -- hell of an audio engineer. He lead one of the most interesting lives I've ever known (he was part of the legendary Jamaican bobsled team among other things).

He will be sorely missed.

please note; this Sam Clayton Jr. is not the drummer of Little Feat.
damn!

i got to know sam via gs: after some initial occasional clashes here on gs, we found out that we had quite a few things in common (touring in africa/europe, preference for some gear, approach to specific situations etc.).

we met last summer when he mixed a band at a festival in luzern, switzerland. unfortunately, i couldn't make to a second show in geneva as i was busy mixing elsewhere - we got along pretty well and were talking about co-ordinating some our touring schedules/duties and sharing some gear; to do so, i wanted to visit him in france/stop by when going on holidays this spring/summer...

if someone knows whether i can support his family by buying some of his gear, pls pm me!

___

dear sam

wherever you are now, i'm sure there is music... - and it will sound good!

didier
Attached Thumbnails
RIP:  Sam Clayton Jr, aka SamC around here...-screenshot_20200402-141849_firefox.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Sam had a way of explaining things so a noob like me could understand, just like Neal degrasse Tyson could do with Space Physics, and chuckle and say, “simple, isn’t it” :0)

Simple for you’z guys RIP SAM C
Old 3rd April 2020
Gear Nut

I enjoyed reading his post. I agreed with him more than not. He was clearly a knowledgeable audio engineer with a wealth of knowledge. So very sad. Prayers to his friends and family.
Old 3rd April 2020
Lives for gear

Oh man. He really was prolific in everything he did.

I just don't have the words right now.

Rest easy dear friend. We agreed far more often than not, but you truly could disagree without ever being disagreeable.
Old 3rd April 2020
Lives for gear

wow. so sorry to hear this. sympathies sincerely offered.
Old 3rd April 2020
Lives for gear

Geeze, that's terrible news - Sam was a regular for years around here.

Sad.
Old 3rd April 2020
Lives for gear

Brutal. Learnt a lot from him and really appreciated his attitude.
Old 3rd April 2020
Yes, brutal.
I had many agreements with Sam and many disagreements.
He was very active in a couple of Covid19 discussions, so this seems doubly cruel (if that were possible).
Old 3rd April 2020
Gear Guru

Wow. This whole thing just got a lot more real. RIP, Sam. And much respect.
Old 3rd April 2020
Super Moderator

Love and light, brother Sam!
Old 4th April 2020
Lives for gear

My day just got a bit darker upon seeing this thread. There are several GS/Remotesters folks who have truly made an impact on my life and work, and Sam was one of them. Praying grace, and peace for his loved ones, and I am thankful for the knowledge and wit he regularly shared with this community. I will certainly miss him.

HB
Old 4th April 2020
Lives for gear

Terrible. RIP.
Old 4th April 2020
Lives for gear

@ e-cue or anyone else who's been close to sam:

do you know where he died? from reading/contributing to some if his latest posts/threads, i remember he was on tour in africa while some european gigs in spain/italy got cancelled or he pulled out and that he had plans to go (or went) to jamaica.

was he there? did he go to the u.s.? or back to france? - can someone put me in touch with his family/his wife?
i do have his mobile number but i definitely do not want to ring up this number as i'm sure anyone will understand...

i'd be prepared to buy some of his gear if this would help his family/wife (or maybe i could support them in selling some of his gear); i'm not trying to profit from the terrible loss of someone who i did not know very well yet enough to call him a friend/peer/collegue and who deserves high regard.

c ya sam - may take a while though; until then, i keep making some 'noise', the best way i possibly can! hope you can hear it...
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

Very sad. I had an odd sense 2 days ago (into earlier today)-not aware of Sam's passing...To be concerned about the (first) "loss" of someone I knew, from this Virus.
This was SO unexpected though, that it would be Sam. Never dreamed of this.

I became very fond of him, and like many others here, will miss him greatly.
Chris
Old 5th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
This was SO unexpected though, that it would be Sam. Never dreamed of this.
I know. This is a bug that doesn't care how feisty you are. That's scary.
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear
It is nothing special to see someone on Gearslutz just be an opinionated ass. But it is so rare to encounter someone who has the experience and experiences that justify an occasional lean in that direction. SamC deserved to live to be a very wise and very ancient curmudgeon. We were lucky to benefit from his knowledge, and we are diminished by his passing.
Old 5th April 2020
Sam will be sorely missed here. He often expressed strong opinions, but they were grounded in actual experience rather than based on someone's ad copy. RIP.
Old 5th April 2020
Gear Maniac
My condolences to Sam’s family & friends

Very sad to hear of Sam’s passing. I always enjoyed reading his many contributions here. Thank you Sam for sharing your knowledge and experience. Rest In Peace!
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

Damn! I never knew Sam, but I read enough of his posts here on GS and, while he could sometimes come across as being a bit dogmatic or harsh, he knew what he was talking about and was usually right on the money with most of what he said.

RIP Samc - a real loss to the music community and to GS.
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

Terrible news..
RIP SamC

I just wrote him a pm few days ago..

Condoleances to his friends and family.

sad..

Cheu
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

RIP!
Old 6th April 2020
RIP Samc. I’ll join the ranks of those who often disagreeed but always respected his opinions!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear