The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP: Sam Clayton Jr, aka SamC around here...
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Boy this is sad news. :0(

Just learned about his passing from a different thread. Boy did we butt heads from time to time, but yeah there was an underlying respect from my side.

We exchanged some PM's and I found out we actually had a lot in common musically speaking.

I sincerely and truly hope this is the VERY last time we lose a GS member to this dreadful disease. RIP Samc.
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post

We've lost an extraordinary person to Covid-19.

Sam was a strongly opinionated -- hell of an audio engineer. He lead one of the most interesting lives I've ever known (he was part of the legendary Jamaican bobsled team among other things).

He will be sorely missed.

please note; this Sam Clayton Jr. is not the drummer of Little Feat.
Rest in peace Sam.
Old 6th April 2020
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear
So sad. :(
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Rest in peace Sam.
This is sad, unfair and unreal.
I had vehement arguments with you, but I always respected your opinions, considered them and at times revised my own to incorporate the valid things you pointed out to me.
Regardless of how much we could quibble, I considered you a friend and I like to think somehow you did too, since you were always willing to put our differences aside and help with a question I may have. At least we have that in common.

I took your equipment advice blindly, much like that of the starter of this thread.
There are very few people besides you two, who I trust like that.

Lots of respect and so sorry to see you go like this. You and yours deserved better.
Old 7th April 2020
Damn. That is very sad to hear. :(
Old 11th April 2020
Lives for gear
Grumpy old sod.

I'm going to miss him.

Stay safe, all.
Old 11th April 2020
Lives for gear
SamC would've loved a good argument about his obituary.
Old 11th April 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
SamC would've loved a good argument about his obituary.
I think so too!

I really had no idea who he was in "real life" when I first began to communicate with him on GS.

We never wasted much time "bowing smoke up eachothers' asses" about the stuff we agreed upon, but rather concentrated on things we disagreed about.

...But I NEVER felt even the slightest disrespect from him.

This is something I fear is quickly being lost in today's society, and I very much miss it in daily life these days.
RIP, SamC!!!
Old 11th April 2020

SamC was a friend I was always happy to hang out with. I remember him 4 years ago trying so hard to convince his band mates and 2 other filled up tour busses to make a 500km detour so he could attend my wedding day & party.

Receiving hilarious calls from him up to the day before: "So can we park 3 tour busses in front of your house? Are you OK with a reggae band and staff crashing your wedding?".

I definitely was! But it didn't pan out...

He was a fun loving man, and an amazing engineer. He made me discover musical styles that I'd never heard of before.

RIP Sam.
Old 11th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
...He made me discover musical styles that I'd never heard of before.
I'd had some very interesting Googling just by following up on some of the discussions we were part of but it's taken until now and seeing the video at the start of this for me to revisit some of the Jamaican music I was listening to as a teenager in Ireland.

Sam's dad was part of some very seminal recordings that by a series of coincidences and good taste became collectors' items among some of my more OCD punk friends.
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear

RIP
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear

RIP Sam. Your body may be dead but your soul lives on in our hearts.
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear
We've had some spirited discussions over the years, and I'll miss those. Always something to learn.

RIP, Sam. It's been fun.

Chris
Old 12th April 2020
Gear Guru

I just saw this. What a shock and shame.
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
@ e-cue or anyone else who's been close to sam:

do you know where he died? from reading/contributing to some if his latest posts/threads, i remember he was on tour in africa while some european gigs in spain/italy got cancelled or he pulled out and that he had plans to go (or went) to jamaica.

was he there? did he go to the u.s.? or back to france? - can someone put me in touch with his family/his wife?
He died in Kingston on March 31.
Old 14th April 2020
Lives for gear

Terrible news. Mainly just a lurker but "SamC" made me think so deeply about live sound, and professionalism as a whole. Extremely interesting worldviews and experiences. Rarely read any of his posts or threads without coming away deeply challenged, and forced to think more critically. I'm a random person on the internet, and I have spent hours and days thinking about some of the topics he explored through his posts here. Enormous loss.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Here’s a lovely obit from the New York Times:

https://nyti.ms/2Vo6fk2

Sam Clayton Jr., Sound Engineer With a Global Ear, Dies at 58
Mr. Clayton, who died of the coronavirus, worked with reggae musicians from Jamaica and countries far from the music’s birthplace.
Attached Thumbnails
RIP:  Sam Clayton Jr, aka SamC around here...-09-00clayton-jumbo-v2.jpg  
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

That smile says everything. Thanks so much for your post. Chris
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear
Ironic because he was one of the first to start a thread here discussing how CV19 had affected touring and gigging in which it was apparent that he understood the seriousness of CV19 and the effects it would have. Then he seemed to have stopped posting which was unusual for him because he always seemed to have a unique and firmly held perspective on pretty much everything. I kept expecting him to pop in and set the rest of us straight.

His presence will be missed.
Old 19th April 2020
I'm gonna miss chatting with Sam - that was one bright, talented dude. Funny, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
SamC was a friend I was always happy to hang out with. I remember him 4 years ago trying so hard to convince his band mates and 2 other filled up tour busses to make a 500km detour so he could attend my wedding day & party.
Oh man, I had no idea he almost made it to the wedding - that would have been even more epic!
Old 22nd April 2020
Although I sometimes disagreed with him I also respected him and his ideals. He will be missed.

I always looked forward to reading his posts on GS.

What a terrible tragedy this is.

May he RIP
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

...maybe worth noting than in one of his last (if not the last) thread(s), he was ready to fight with a manufacturer who has been putting out substandard gear (or actually drivers in this case), so:

sam fighting for the benefit of all of us!

one of the memories i'll cherish...
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

RIP Sam. Wow, that's such a pisser..........he was always getting his teeth into some great debates here, and was a wealth of knowledge (and attitude). Really sad..............He will be missed. We lost a great one...... :(
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

I always learned the most, from a person like Sam....
Chris
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

R.I.P.
Old 5th May 2020

Oh dear, God speed my friend...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OMG,

I have been so sidetracked this year with all the chaos in my own life dealing with COVID and work. I completely completely missed this and only today realized he had passed.

Although I frequently disagreed with Sam on various points of discussion, I always respected his point of view.

I will dearly miss our debates. There were many nights when I would come home from work with the world pressing down on my shoulders and find my latest debate with Sam waiting to take me away from my troubles.

He was very much a professional and had character enough for 10 people. I am deeply saddened by this news .... much more than my words can say.

This week, COVID has touched my family as well. My aunt (75) was exposed by her own cardiologist. She is in quarantine. I was exposed 2 days later at work and am now in quarantine. Here in the US, this damn virus is running wild and I fear that many hundreds of thousands more will die here in the US alone.

I only knew Sam from this forum, but his death is a haunting reminder that none of us are truly safe.

RIP Sam Clayton. I will miss you and the world will be a little less good of a place without you in it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well said. Best wishes for you and your family too.
Thanks, Chris
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
.. My aunt (75) was exposed by her own cardiologist. She is in quarantine. I was exposed 2 days later at work and am now in quarantine.
Scary stuff.

All the best with your progress.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear