RIP McCoy Tyner
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

RIP McCoy Tyner

Another great gone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For sure, for sure.

If I have to name (5) musicians that influenced me, my playing, how I listen - McCoy would be one. I do remember in the early 80's seeing him play in a small club and feeling I was in the presence of someone special. Coltrane's piano player from the "Classic Quartet".
With the Coltrane quartet, he carved a pathing the musical woods where there was nothing like that before. So many "modern" jazz pianists will continue to be in his debt.

RIP, indeed we lost another great one.
Cdlt
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The first time a recording of a pianist ever really blew my mind open was when I listened to "My Favorite Things" in my buddy's car on a lunch break in high school. I didn't know it was possible to play piano like that while improvising. My trajectory as a jazz nerd was decided then and there. I got to see McCoy perform live three times over the next ten years or so and it was always supremely inspiring.

Eternal love and gratitude, Mr. Tyner.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Loved McCoy Tyner, have a bunch of his 1970s era LPs and had the fortune to see him as the band leader a couple times when I was in high school, most memorably at the Village Vanguard ca. 1975 or so.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A very influential jazz pianist leaving his art to the world, to our minds and souls.

Thanks a lot.

RIP

McCoy Tyner
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
May the drums in heaven shout down on us loud as a new thunder with your rhythm and syncopation to warn us of other threats. Always the be best!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search