Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

RIP Lyle Mays Feb 10th 2020

Lyle Mays
Feb 10th 2020.(66 yo)

Fantastic keyboard player.
Thanks for all these -very- good moments Lyle
Old 2 weeks ago
One of my favourite ever keyboardists/pianists. Really sad. Gonna listen to 'As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls' all day...

RIP sir...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

oh...

i had the pleasure of mixing him live (monitors actually) for about two dozens of shows in the mid-nineties and got to realize how large his contribution to the sound of the pat metheny group was (which can also be experienced when listening to his solo records) - i can hardly think of a more 'complete' piano AND synth player who was also rhythmically very strong!

wolfgang dauner just recently, now lyle mays... - sad times!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Terrible loss

Sensational musician and composer. His first solo album, with Bill Frisell and Alex Acuna among others, is easily on par with the very best of the Pat Metheny Group productions. Exceptional compositions
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Gutted when I heard. I've been listening to the PMG and Lyle's solo stuff since I was a kid (circa "Travels"), so his music has been the soundtrack to a lot of my life. Not to take anything away from Pat, or the other members' contributions, but in a lot of ways Lyle was the soul of the group.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was very sad to hear about the passing of Lyle. It was unknown for me he had health issues but now it all makes sense why he quit the music scene apart from some small things.

Lyle was hugely influential on my personal development as a piano player. The way he incorporates counterpoint and is able to develop small simple ideas to very complex concepts is amazing. The way up is for me still a composition that is unrivalled today.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The PMG and Lyle make up an important part of my life. His Texas ties and continuing support of UNT was always a source of pride.

One half of one of my favorite composition teams of all time.

Fly on Lyle...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Man. A serious loss. I was, am a huge fan. Is tune Slink is one of my all time favorite pieces of music. Period. RIP.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks View Post
The way up is for me still a composition that is unrivalled today.
That was the last tour I saw the PMG (and Lyle) on. An amazing album, and I had no idea how they'd pull it off live... but they were incredible. Talk about going out on a high note.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What a loss. Both PMG and his solo records have had such great impact on my life. His choice of notes, and chord voicing... Have a listen to 'August' off of Street Dreams. He had such a way with making you feel sentimental, nostalgic, and sometimes melancholy. Just beautiful. He will be greatly missed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

what a genius, that's really sad ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I grew up listening to Lyle...playing at my grandmother's house (he's family).

We could call out a song and he could play it as long as he had heard it once. He was one of my inspirations for learning to play piano. I can remember him playing the old upright piano in the corner of the basement, and just making the most beautiful sounds come out of it. When he'd leave with the other adults, I'd sit down at the piano and just start noodling around--i must have been around 7 or 8 (maybe younger), and he'd sneak back down and come up behind me and start playing against what ever I was playing. It was the only time I ever got to jam with him.

Once Pat and him were playing out all the time and making money we only saw him once in a while at reunions. His dad however, was always at reunions or sometimes at grandma's house-- he was a great flat-picker on guitar. I'd sit and listen to him for hours. The music runs in the family.

Unfortunately, that side of the family doesn't tend to live past 70 - heart issues (usually the women though).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Of his solo production "Lyle Mays" (1986) is an absolute masterpiece. Great band, brilliant compositions. A genius at work.
With the Pat Metheny Group perhaps "American Garage", "Offramp", "First Circle" and "Imaginary Day"? Actually all of them, picking is almost pointless with geniuses like these, they are up there with Zappa, Stravinsky...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
I'm listening now...
If this is your first listen of this record, I am envious...Such a privilege experiencing the feeling of a discovery of this caliber. This particular record brings me tears at times, I'll freely admit
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
I grew up listening to Lyle...playing at my grandmother's house (he's family).

We could call out a song and he could play it as long as he had heard it once. He was one of my inspirations for learning to play piano. I can remember him playing the old upright piano in the corner of the basement, and just making the most beautiful sounds come out of it. When he'd leave with the other adults, I'd sit down at the piano and just start noodling around--i must have been around 7 or 8 (maybe younger), and he'd sneak back down and come up behind me and start playing against what ever I was playing. It was the only time I ever got to jam with him.

Once Pat and him were playing out all the time and making money we only saw him once in a while at reunions. His dad however, was always at reunions or sometimes at grandma's house-- he was a great flat-picker on guitar. I'd sit and listen to him for hours. The music runs in the family.

Unfortunately, that side of the family doesn't tend to live past 70 - heart issues (usually the women though).
So sorry for your loss. He seemed like such a kind and gentle soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
What's considered his best recorded work?
I'd agree with Massimo that of his solo stuff, the first album's the best of the lot, though I'll always have a soft spot for "Street Dreams," which has some of the most gorgeous work he ever did. "Before You Go" got a fair amount of airplay on jazz stations at the time, but for me the emotional center of the album is "August," which is wistful and gorgeous. The suite that closes the album is amazing as well; the fourth movement is another one of my favorite pieces of music.

With the Pat Metheny Group... damn. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but if I had to narrow it down to a top three, it'd be "Travels" (which functioned as a live best-of of sorts for the stuff they'd done up to that point), "Imaginary Day," which saw the PMG go off in some really interesting directions (including full-on rock, Irish, and Iranian music), and "The Way Up," which was the last PMG album and just... ****ing amazing. A lot of things they'd kinda hinted around, or experimented with (longer-form pieces, the Steve Reich influence that cropped up in unexpected places, and the like) just completely coalesced, and was amazing to see live. Typically, it's challenging but totally accessible at the same time.

Then, of course, there's "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls," which is Lyle, Pat, and Nana Vasconcelos. The title track is a side-long piece that kinda borders on prog, and is one of those things you're either going to love or will raise an eyebrow at (I love it). The rest of the album is shorter-form stuff, from a pastoral take on "Amazing Grace" (with vocals by Nana), "Ozark" (spacious, sounds like soundtrack music), "September Fifteenth" pays its respects to Bill Evans in a way that'd do him proud, and "It's For You" ... well, if that tune doesn't give you goosebumps, you should probably have your vital signs checked.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Very, very sad. I first saw Lyle and in 1981 - they were releasing a new record "Offramp". Saw PMG countless times over the years thorough the final "The Way up" tour. His harmonic explorations in his solos in the old PMG standard "Phase Danse" never ceased to amaze me. So much of the PMG sound was his. RIP Lyle.

Cdlt
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One of the best for creating an evolving complex harmonic bed for others to explore and add to. Just a Master at creating emotion through tension and release. Here are a couple videos of him in the studio testing Spectrasonic's Trillion. Just a day of improvising with drummer / percussionist / close friend Alex Acuña. The first video is of him playing a single sample based patch. Do yourself a favor and play it through your mains instead of the computer speakers to honor and feel Lyle. You can find these on youtube also but the quality might be reduced.

Spectrasonics Video 1 link: https://vimeo.com/11852047

Spectrasonics Video 2 link: https://vimeo.com/11854911
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldog View Post
So sorry for your loss. He seemed like such a kind and gentle soul.

I'd agree with Massimo that of his solo stuff, the first album's the best of the lot, though I'll always have a soft spot for "Street Dreams," which has some of the most gorgeous work he ever did. "Before You Go" got a fair amount of airplay on jazz stations at the time, but for me the emotional center of the album is "August," which is wistful and gorgeous. The suite that closes the album is amazing as well; the fourth movement is another one of my favorite pieces of music.

With the Pat Metheny Group... damn. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but if I had to narrow it down to a top three, it'd be "Travels" (which functioned as a live best-of of sorts for the stuff they'd done up to that point), "Imaginary Day," which saw the PMG go off in some really interesting directions (including full-on rock, Irish, and Iranian music), and "The Way Up," which was the last PMG album and just... ****ing amazing. A lot of things they'd kinda hinted around, or experimented with (longer-form pieces, the Steve Reich influence that cropped up in unexpected places, and the like) just completely coalesced, and was amazing to see live. Typically, it's challenging but totally accessible at the same time.

Then, of course, there's "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls," which is Lyle, Pat, and Nana Vasconcelos. The title track is a side-long piece that kinda borders on prog, and is one of those things you're either going to love or will raise an eyebrow at (I love it). The rest of the album is shorter-form stuff, from a pastoral take on "Amazing Grace" (with vocals by Nana), "Ozark" (spacious, sounds like soundtrack music), "September Fifteenth" pays its respects to Bill Evans in a way that'd do him proud, and "It's For You" ... well, if that tune doesn't give you goosebumps, you should probably have your vital signs checked.
Great recs. I would throw in the live album The Road To You and highlight the Travels suggestion as awesome starting points. But there are no bad PMG albums...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’m shocked. Sadly shocked. 1987’s PMG album - Still Life Talking - was a huge part of my musical upbringing. Mr. Mays was a true artist. His voicing support of the melody and everything PMG did was by design. He died so young. Ugh. I’m listening to “In Her Family” right now. The melody is mesmerizing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I somehow missed the news until just a few minutes ago. Wow, how sad. I've been listening to Lyle Mays since I bought the Pat Metheny Group on lp, probably in 1979. I bought it again a few times more on cassette, CD, and then again on vinyl. I have about a dozen more Pat Metheny CDs, Lyle Mays' Street Dreams, and Joni Mitchell's albums with Pat and Lyle (and Jaco.) Unfortunately, I never saw them live.

RIP
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Just found this out a few minutes ago. Very sad news to hear about. Lyle was one of my most favorite keyboardist / musicians / composers of all time. We have lost another great talent. His contribution to the music scene was highly significant and he left a legacy of great music behind. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Rest in piece Lyle.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

RIP. His first solo albums left a big impression on me when i was just starting to make music.
Old 4 days ago
Lyle Mays interview

Here is a great interview of Lyle Mays by Jeff Lorber of Jazziz magazine: https://www.jazziz.com/lyle-mays/
Old 2 days ago
Very sad loss!

I think this might be the end of PMG, not sure if Pat will try to replace him. Lyle was the only one present on all albums...
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Very sad loss!

I think this might be the end of PMG, not sure if Pat will try to replace him. Lyle was the only one present on all albums...
PMG was over since The way up record. Lyle did not want to go on the road anymore.
Old 9 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
PMG was over since The way up record. Lyle did not want to go on the road anymore.
Ah, thanks for the update - even though it is a very sad one...
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
What I was told, and this is unsubstantiated second-hand info via a friend who may or may not have the true skinny, was that they actually tried to do a mini tour after The Way Up to see if Lyle could physically hang and it became evident that at least consistent touring wasn't feasible for him any longer.

As a result he went back into software programming.

Hard to believe considering that I personally feel he was one of the most gifted composers in the modern world.

Regardless - my thoughts go out to him and his family. I'm thankful for the three PMG shows I was able to attend. All of them life modifying experiences.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

****e. now seeing this. :(
rsp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search