The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP Lyle Mays Feb 10th 2020
Old 28th February 2020
Deleted 6aa6ee2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
What I was told, and this is unsubstantiated second-hand info via a friend who may or may not have the true skinny, was that they actually tried to do a mini tour after The Way Up to see if Lyle could physically hang and it became evident that at least consistent touring wasn't feasible for him any longer.

As a result he went back into software programming.

Hard to believe considering that I personally feel he was one of the most gifted composers in the modern world.

Regardless - my thoughts go out to him and his family. I'm thankful for the three PMG shows I was able to attend. All of them life modifying experiences.
not too far off.
Old 25th April 2020
Gear Head
Definitive Lyle Mays gear list folks:

Acoustic pianos- Steinway, Yamaha

EMU Emulator I, II, III

Korg- DW-8000, Trident, Trinity & Triton

Kurzweil- K250, K2000

Oberheim- Four & Eight Voice polyphonic, OBX, SEM

PPG- 2.2, 2.3

Roland- A-80, D-50?, JX-10

SCI Prophet- 5, T8

Synclavier

Voyetra 8

Yamaha- CP-80, CS-80

A few notes to add to this list:
He didn't really use any controllers to speak of except of course the roland that wasn't used much which I think he midi'd to the d50 not sure if at all. Some say he used a k2500 if he did I never saw it. The obx was used briefly so the roadies didn't have lug around the polyphonics & sems later replaced by the prophet 5. The Synclavier was Pat's; voyetra just in the studio along with the ppg's, cs-80 & t8. The cp-80 was not used much since Lyle was an acoustic piano guy, notably he never used a DX7. No ARPs, Fairlights, Moogs or even Rhodes to speak of either that l know of he might of tooled around on them at some point but it's unclear. He was known to have said that he was not to fond of programming he just liked to play.
The world has lost one of the greats in Lyle May's his gentle, humble,soft spoken & unassuming manner will be sorely missed. His impact on jazz keyboard playing & music in general is genius and unmeasurable but you'd never hear him acknowledge it he was just that way one of the good guys in this biz. Rest in peace my friend I know you're playin' that grand piano in the sky at heaven gate dude.

Last edited by agstreyiii; 25th April 2020 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: left something out
Old 25th April 2020
Lives for gear

Please add to that list the Oberheim Xpander
Old 25th April 2020
Gear Addict

First I've seen the D-50 listed among his gear. There's another list I've seen that fills in a few gaps:

Emulator E4
Korg DW-8000
Korg Triton Classic (61-Key)
Korg Triton Pro (76-Key)
Korg Triton Studio (76-Key)
Korg Wavestation rack module
Kurzweil K250 (Lyle consulted on its development)
Kurzweil K2000
Kurzweil K2500
Kurzweil K2500R VAST Synthesizer Sampler Module
New England Digital Synclavier II
Oberheim DMX Drum Machine
Oberheim Four Voice (he combined it with a second Oberheim Four Voice in the mid 1980s to get eight voices)
Oberheim Xpander
Rhodes Chroma
Roland JV2080
Roland Super JX-10
Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 Rev 2
Yamaha AN1x
Yamaha CP-30 electric piano
Yamaha Disklavier grand piano
Yamaha RM1x Sequence Remixer
Yamaha SK-15 organ
Yamaha YC-20 organ
Yamaha VL-1
Old 26th April 2020
Gear Nut
ive heard of pat methaney and been a fan for years. Listening to the Wichita album has really impressed me, and annoyed me i didnt find it before, or seek it willingly.

Amazing.

I feel like a whole world opened up to me, like hearing Miles, Monk, or Bird for the first time. This player was an astounding player but more importantly, as as drummer, his chordal and rhythmic bed he laid on some of these tracks... for the solists, and how his interplay between rhythmn section is glorius.

I m having a rush of creative energy and this is due to 10 minutes of the first track off witchita.

Herbie does it differnet , not better, but this guys style, not choices, and his interplay is immediately recognizable for my ears. Next 3 days off... Im gonna dig deep.
Old 7th May 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldog View Post
First I've seen the D-50 listed among his gear. There's another list I've seen that fills in a few gaps:

Emulator E4
Korg DW-8000
Korg Triton Classic (61-Key)
Korg Triton Pro (76-Key)
Korg Triton Studio (76-Key)
Korg Wavestation rack module
Kurzweil K250 (Lyle consulted on its development)
Kurzweil K2000
Kurzweil K2500
Kurzweil K2500R VAST Synthesizer Sampler Module
New England Digital Synclavier II
Oberheim DMX Drum Machine
Oberheim Four Voice (he combined it with a second Oberheim Four Voice in the mid 1980s to get eight voices)
Oberheim Xpander
Rhodes Chroma
Roland JV2080
Roland Super JX-10
Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 Rev 2
Yamaha AN1x
Yamaha CP-30 electric piano
Yamaha Disklavier grand piano
Yamaha RM1x Sequence Remixer
Yamaha SK-15 organW
Yamaha YC-20 organ
Yamaha VL-1
Yeah you're right I forgot about the Xpander, Wavestation & the Yamaha organs which he did use extensively. Wasn't aware of the Chroma or VL-1 either also my list didn't include any rack modules just keys. Either way having both lists here together in detail is even more definitive and just give's more credence to the man's chops & genius folks. Thanx for filling in the gaps dude.
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Man, I can't believe I didn't hear ANYTHING about this. I was searching for some new Metheny and saw the tragic news...only a few days ago.....I really feel like a total heel!

This has been a crap year. Peart was a HUGE influence and Mays was a HUGE inspiration. To know that I will never hear a new composition or hear him play with such emotion really makes me sad, sad, sad.

RIP Lyle. Your recordings will live on for a very long time.

Btw, all you young aspiring pianist....listen to this guy. His dynamic prowess is amazing!

fb
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by agstreyiii View Post
Yeah you're right I forgot about the Xpander, Wavestation & the Yamaha organs which he did use extensively. Wasn't aware of the Chroma or VL-1 either also my list didn't include any rack modules just keys. Either way having both lists here together in detail is even more definitive and just give's more credence to the man's chops & genius folks. Thanx for filling in the gaps dude.
Roland S760 was used as well (it's in his rack in the 90ies).

Other items:
Opcode Studio 5LX
Custom made midi mapper for the Oberheim 4voice (i found an article about it years ago and I believe even the sourcecode was included, but cannot find it on my old harddrives)
Lexicon PCM70 and 80 effect units (you can see them in the rack which is behind him on stage).
Roland & Yamaha sequencers (have to check out the exact models)
Fender Rhodes
Roland G808 guitar (Roots of Coincidence)

I think the Spectrasonics Heart of Asia sample cd was used on Imaginary Day.
The JX10 holds a lot of Lyle Mays sounds, some are tweaks of presets. It's pretty easy to get the sounds from late 80ies/throughout the 90ies. I remember programming them in a JX8p VST.
The techno bass sound for Roots of Coincidence is from the JV2080 (it's a factory preset)
Yamaha VL1 was used on We live here (it's on his right on the tour).

I did see a picture yesterday of him in what looked like his homestudio. There were 2 oberheim 4 voice synths there.

Very fortunate to have seen him on the 2010 Pat Metheny Group Songbook festival tour. I remember him playing an amazing solo for Proof. Too bad it was only an hour set (North Sea Jazz) and that it was a quartet setting. Still, happy to have seen that.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear