The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RIP Neil Peart
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

* Neil Peart* I'm crushed

He passed away this past Tuesday. My heart goes out to his family, friends, and fans.
Old 6 days ago
RIP, Mr Peart.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

RIP Neil Pert “Farewell to a King”

For those that have not heard, Neil Peart passed away Jan 7th.

Thank you Mr Peart, you live on in my music and my quest for the perfectly recorded drums.

Last edited by Brian M. Boykin; 6 days ago at 09:12 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
For those that have not heard, Neil Pert passed away Jan 7th.

Thank you Mr Pert, you live on in my music and my quest for the perfectly recorded drums.
...could you pls - out of respect - spell his name correctly?!

___

EDIT: glad you did!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 5 days ago at 02:12 PM.. Reason: EDITED
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
I used to work at this post house where the Kelly the Dub Room Chick was the world's biggest Rush fan. She was constantly correcting people: "It's pronounced "Peert," not "Purt!"

I wasn't much of a Rush fan, but Peart was certainly a great player. And, if you ever happened to see him do it, an exceptional public speaker.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
(...) I wasn't much of a Rush fan, but Peart was certainly a great player. And, if you ever happened to see him do it, an exceptional public speaker.
me neither - but yes (i saw him a couple of times, see my post in this other thread)

RIP Neil Peart
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
Corrected. Not intentional obviously. And I’m even more embarrassed to say I googled it to check the spelling out of respect and still got it wrong. He’s been an inspiration to me both as a drummer and through his lyrics. And he was a great human being.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Obviously one of the top rock drummers of all time but love his lyrical themes as well.

"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more".

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say he was probably the most air drummed drummer along with bonzo.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Where does one even start to comment?

I'm still in shock by this news.

What a tragic and sad ending .
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I'm really bummed out by Mr Peart's death. I learned a lot from him as a young drummer. My autographed Power Windows tour program is one of my most prized possessions.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
"Mystic rhythms capture my thoughts
Carry them away"

RIP
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Its a real drag. I learned so much from him and Rush as a young drummer. I learned how to play in odd times by playing along to those records. I learned the concept of compositional drum parts. It was obvious that he knew what was happening in all the other parts, something I still try to do when playing and learning songs.

Thank You Mr Peart.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Great words from Neil in 2015

Neil Peart: my drum solo was a lifetime's achievement

The solo. Superhuman powers for sure!
Old 5 days ago
January 7, 2020,... a very sad day indeed. Definitely one of the top and most decorated bands we have had here in Canada. I remember vividly seeing Rush at Belle River High School in Ontario on February 13,1975.The opening act was a band called Rose. They had released their first album, RUSH, the year before and their second, Fly By Night, was released I think shortly after I saw them. However, they did play some tracks off of it.

I still have the blue credit card sized ticket from that night somewhere in a scrapbook.I remember sitting cross legged on the gym floor watching the band and being blown away by the energy of their songs and musicianship. I had been playing guitar for a couple of years by then and my eyes were fixed on Alex Lifeson.I managed to pick up some of ‘Working Man’ and I played the hell out that riff for weeks thereafter.The song ‘In The Mood’ also stands out in my memory from that night.

I was hooked that night and I fortunately had seen them live 8 additional times since 1975.

RIP Neil, and thanks for all the second to none drumming, lyrics, music and memories,.. you are and always will be a great Canadian musical icon along with your lifelong bandmates.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tape View Post
January 7, 2020,... a very sad day indeed. Definitely one of the top and most decorated bands we have had here in Canada. I remember vividly seeing Rush at Belle River High School in Ontario on February 13,1975.The opening act was a band called Rose. They had released their first album, RUSH, the year before and their second, Fly By Night, was released I think shortly after I saw them. However, they did play some tracks off of it.

I still have the blue credit card sized ticket from that night somewhere in a scrapbook.I remember sitting cross legged on the gym floor watching the band and being blown away by the energy of their songs and musicianship. I had been playing guitar for a couple of years by then and my eyes were fixed on Alex Lifeson.I managed to pick up some of ‘Working Man’ and I played the hell out that riff for weeks thereafter.The song ‘In The Mood’ also stands out in my memory from that night.

I was hooked that night and I fortunately had seen them live 8 additional times since 1975.

RIP Neil, and thanks for all the second to none drumming, lyrics, music and memories,.. you are and always will be a great Canadian musical icon along with your lifelong bandmates.
wow - great story
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

As mahler007 said, cool story. Peart and Lifeson were a big influence on me, and so many musicians in the late '70s. Everyone was listening to them, whether or not they liked prog rock. I never saw them live, but me and some friends up in the woods of Maine got really hammered one night in '75 ('76?) watching a Rush concert broadcast on Midnight Special -- might have been Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Pretty sure it was this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBW...&frags=pl%2Cwn

We used to get really stoned riding around listening to All The World's A Stage. Great live album. That, and Mahogany Rush Live '78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wry...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Canadians! The Great White North! Grew up with The Guess Who, BTO, Neil Young, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, and Rush. Use to play Spirit Of Radio in a cover band circa '79. I don't know how the people danced when we played it, but they did. Alcohol works wonders on the dance floor.

Thanks Neil!!! R.I.P.

We also played "Roller" in that band! Great hard rock tune! "Blowing into the Moncton Coliseum, it's April Wine!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usWQ...&frags=pl%2Cwn
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorPhonic View Post
As mahler007 said, cool story. Peart and Lifeson were a big influence on me, and so many musicians in the late '70s. Everyone was listening to them, whether or not they liked prog rock. I never saw them live, but me and some friends up in the woods of Maine got really hammered one night in '75 ('76?) watching a Rush concert broadcast on Midnight Special -- might have been Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Pretty sure it was this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBW...&frags=pl%2Cwn

We used to get really stoned riding around listening to All The World's A Stage. Great live album. That, and Mahogany Rush Live '78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wry...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Canadians! The Great White North! Grew up with The Guess Who, BTO, Neil Young, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, and Rush. Use to play Spirit Of Radio in a cover band circa '79. I don't know how the people danced when we played it, but they did. Alcohol works wonders on the dance floor.

Thanks Neil!!! R.I.P.

We also played "Roller" in that band! Great hard rock tune! "Blowing into the Moncton Coliseum, it's April Wine!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usWQ...&frags=pl%2Cwn
Man, you are bringing back some great memories of the 70's era of rock by posting those videos.

That 1976 concert at the Capital Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey is classic RUSH. They opened for Montrose and Foghat that night. Noticed that Alex Lifeson was playing the same Gibson ES335 as when I saw them in 1975.

The Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush video brought me back to the night I saw them play at Belle River High School as well. Growing up across from Detroit in the Windsor, Tecumseh and Belle River area which gave us great opportunity to see many of the top 70's acts in local bars, venues, colleges and high schools before they made the world stage.

April Wine with their three guitar approach was like the Canadian 'Lynyrd Skynyrd' of the time,... of course totally on the opposite end of the musical genre spectrum.

Also had to chuckle a bit at the 70's 'White Pant & Platform Shoe' style,... yes,... we all wore them,

Would I go back and do it all again if given the chance?,... damn straight I would!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember vividly seeing Rush at Belle River High School in Ontario on February 13,1975.
wow very cool
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Man, you are bringing back some great memories of the 70's era of rock by posting those videos.

That 1976 concert at the Capital Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey is classic RUSH. They opened for Montrose and Foghat that night. Noticed that Alex Lifeson was playing the same Gibson ES335 as when I saw them in 1975.

The Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush video brought me back to the night I saw them play at Belle River High School as well. Growing up across from Detroit in the Windsor, Tecumseh and Belle River area which gave us great opportunity to see many of the top 70's acts in local bars, venues, colleges and high schools before they made the world stage.

April Wine with their three guitar approach was like the Canadian 'Lynyrd Skynyrd' of the time,... of course totally on the opposite end of the musical genre spectrum.

Also had to chuckle a bit at the 70's 'White Pant & Platform Shoe' style,... yes,... we all wore them,

Would I go back and do it all again if given the chance?,... damn straight I would!
I'm with you!! I'd do it all again. In a heartbeat!

Oh, and let's not forget! "MOXY ('75)"

Great Canadian "guitar riff" hard rock band. Great singer and drummer. Kind of like the Canadian version of Montrose/Nazareth. Many people don't know this, but it's not easy playing a straight "slow" solid drum beat in the studio. The drums are right in the pocket.

My favorite MOXY song: TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Posted by "Buzz Shearman" the vocalist!!! Cool! Thanks, Buzz!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Po...&frags=pl%2Cwn

I love that Buzz posted it showing the "8-track tape" version!! Cool!!

Ridin' Hi!! ('77)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKcl...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Ps; Triumph! (haha)

Have a great '70s day, mon ami!
Old 4 days ago
To this day I listen to rush more than any band. Always listen to countdown every time I take off or land. Singnals, moving pictures, permanent waves, hemispheres, grace under pressure, power windows, and hold your fire are my favs.

It broke my heart when I read about his passing. A true poet, best lyricists and the most amazing drummer ever. Rip you god.

Df
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Obviously one of the top rock drummers of all time but love his lyrical themes as well.

"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more".

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say he was probably the most air drummed drummer along with bonzo.
Yep, he was a wonderful lyricist as well.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

"It was Rush against the world, and Peart remembers their mind-set: 'It was uncertain whether we would fight or fall, but finally we got mad. We came back with a vengeance. We were talking about freedom from tyranny in '2112' and we meant it.'"
Old 3 days ago
I was first introduced to Rush back in 1976 when the 2112 album was released. I remember being blown away by the lyrics and the story of the Temples of Syrinx. I grew up with this band as a young teenager.

It's specially sad when one of your rock idols from a favorite band passes away. It really hits home and it's like a part of you also dies. Thankfully rock legends live on within us as we share in their memory when we listen to their music.

R.I.P Neil and my condolences to your family.

Long Live Rock & Roll!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
RIP

he influenced me as a drummer for sure. When I was starting on drums I got a copy of Moving Pictures. First album I learned on drums. Took about a year.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search