The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ed Cherney RIP
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Addict

Unhappy Ed Cherney RIP

The Recording Industry lost a giant today. If you had the pleasure of knowing Ed Cherney, you knew he was one of the good guys. Not only talented, but kind, funny, genuine, and made you so grateful to be a part of the audio tribe. We are heartbroken for his wife Rose.
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Addict
RIP A true legend, I almost bought his old KRK E8's!
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
The Recording Industry lost a giant today. If you had the pleasure of knowing Ed Cherney, you knew he was one of the good guys. Not only talented, but kind, funny, genuine, and made you so grateful to be a part of the audio tribe. We are heartbroken for his wife Rose.

oh no. i just heard the news.

ed was such a great dude. i never got to work with him but i used to run into him often in studios. he was always so cool and gracious and hilarious.

we had some friends in common, including the late richie hayward and every time i ran into him he remembered me and was always so cool to talk to.

i loved his records. so many records i grew up loving...had ed's name on them somewhere. i just love his work on little feat's ain't had enough fun and his mixing on poe's record haunted...but he made so many amazing records. he was a super talented dude...but more importantly, by all accounts...a great human.

he will be missed greatly.

RIP and my deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear

Where are you seeing this?
Old 22nd October 2019
Engagement Manager

Very sad to hear this news
RIP Ed
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
If you had the pleasure of knowing Ed Cherney, you knew he was one of the good guys.
I knew him a little, and he sure was. Wow.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingmandy View Post
Where are you seeing this?
Recording Legend Ed Cherney, Dead at 69

I met Ed, but never had the pleasure of working with him. I know people who liked and worked with Ed, and I'm saddened—as I'm sure they are—by his passing.

My sincere condolences to Ed's friends and his wife, Rose Mann-Cherney.

Best,

Geoff
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear
I met him once at an AES meeting twenty years ago, and he was such a cool cat - funny and all-giving when it came to sharing his vast experience and knowledge. I believe the slogan for his session was: "Ready to be sucked!". :-D

I got one of my best recording studio advises from him: "Don't waste time".

And it still echoes in my head when setting up a recording session.

RIP Ed - you were one of the best!

Frederick
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Met him at a Grammy party during SXSW. Really nice guy. Been a fan of his work forever. RIP Ed.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Prince of a dude

RIP
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

I never met him but I had some convos with him back in the day when the internet was still on dial up - what a nice guy. This caught me totally off guard ...
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Very sad to hear this news. He engineered pretty much all of my favorite records by my favorite artists.

RIP
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac
was just thinking about how many of my favorite recordings that are still in constant rotation at my house were engineered and/or mixed by ed.

bonnie raitt's nick of time and luck of the draw
sonia dada's a day at the beach
iggy pop's brick by brick
poe's haunted
johnny lang's lie to me
little feat's ain't had enough fun
jan arden's insensitive
lenny kravitz's are you gonna go my way
ry cooder's get rhythm

i totally forgot that he worked on the wallflower's red letter days. love that album too.
Old 23rd October 2019
wow kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way is an amazing album, such a great sound, RIP to another legend.
Old 27th October 2019
Here for the gear

I was quite fortunate and blessed to have worked with Ed on some wonderful recordings. His untimely passing is a great loss to the music world. My deepest sympathies and condolences to his wife, Rose, and the rest of his family. May he rest in peace.
Old 27th October 2019
Gear Addict

As I posted over at another forum; Ed was just a great all around guy. He was always very generous with his time and ideas. A great sense of humor. I was fortunate to play golf with him every week as well. He will be missed and truly remembered. God bless my friend.
Old 29th October 2019
Terrific, warm, generous guy. He was very kind and supportive to me back in the day when I broke away from online pro audio newsgroups and other forums to start Gearslutz.

Big loss.

Here's to you Ed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search